IGNORED

misfire right cyl until 3000rpm

MotoPappy

MotoPappy

I have just got a 2004 r1150gs adventure with around 66k miles.  It haddnt been ridden in around 3 years.  Mice had gotten to the air filter and chewed on it a bit, but not any further.  Replaced filter, emptied tank and replace fuel filter.  Also replaced battery which was shot.  Started bike and a million mice turds blasted from the exhaust-- quite a sight.  very rough idle from the start.  Rode for a while and it felt like a 2 stroke power band hitting at 3000 rpm.  Determined right cly(when seated on bike) was not firing at idle.  Swapped injectors, replaced plugs (single plug head), adjusted valves, checked tension of cam chains, compression is around 140 psi.  I am pretty sure the injector is working because i let it idle for awhile as I was troubleshooting and looked down and the converter was glowing red.  I can unplug the offending cyl injector and no power hit at 3000 rpm and has no effect at idle.  Spark issue right?  Well I can get a spark when I hook a spark plug and crank it. 

Questions I hope someone can answer for me.  Does this ignition fire on both the power stroke and the exhaust stroke?  I see there are two hall effect sensors.  Is that one for each cyl, or is one something like a crank position sensor.  It looks to me they are 180 degrees apart.  I have taken off the cover but as of now not taken off the pulley or alt belt.  How can I check to see if the sensors are working.  Thinking coil, spark plug wires or HES.  Parts are not cheap and would rather know what the problem is than just shotgun troubleshoot.  Any help would be appreciated.  Jonesn to ride this thing.

dirtrider
5 hours ago, MotoPappy said:

I have just got a 2004 r1150gs adventure with around 66k miles.  It haddnt been ridden in around 3 years.  Mice had gotten to the air filter and chewed on it a bit, but not any further.  Replaced filter, emptied tank and replace fuel filter.  Also replaced battery which was shot.  Started bike and a million mice turds blasted from the exhaust-- quite a sight.  very rough idle from the start.  Rode for a while and it felt like a 2 stroke power band hitting at 3000 rpm.  Determined right cly(when seated on bike) was not firing at idle.  Swapped injectors, replaced plugs (single plug head), adjusted valves, checked tension of cam chains, compression is around 140 psi.  I am pretty sure the injector is working because i let it idle for awhile as I was troubleshooting and looked down and the converter was glowing red.  I can unplug the offending cyl injector and no power hit at 3000 rpm and has no effect at idle.  Spark issue right?  Well I can get a spark when I hook a spark plug and crank it. 

Questions I hope someone can answer for me.  Does this ignition fire on both the power stroke and the exhaust stroke?  I see there are two hall effect sensors.  Is that one for each cyl, or is one something like a crank position sensor.  It looks to me they are 180 degrees apart.  I have taken off the cover but as of now not taken off the pulley or alt belt.  How can I check to see if the sensors are working.  Thinking coil, spark plug wires or HES.  Parts are not cheap and would rather know what the problem is than just shotgun troubleshoot.  Any help would be appreciated.  Jonesn to ride this thing.

Afternoon MotoPappy

Sounds like the R/H side throttle cable isn't seated properly.

The R/H side throttle cable has a habit of sitting on TOP of the Throttle Body cable adjuster  rather than DOWN IN IT. That holds the R/H side throttle plate open so it gets more air in but not more fuel to go with it. Once you open the throttle far enough that usually allows it to start somewhat firing. 

Yes, it has a lost spark type ignition system, both side spark plugs spark on EVERY piston up. It actually fires in a continuous loop with one spark plug firing center electrode "positive" & the other side firing center electrode "negative".  

If it isn't the R/H side throttle cable then post back & we will look into other things.   

MotoPappy

Thank you!  Slipped cable into place and presto----good idle and died when that injector was unplugged.  Off tomorrow for inspection then some rides.  Only thing is that my wife now knows that I didnt spend anything to get it running and she has some sinister plans to use that money for quilting.... any comments on that?

16 minutes ago, MotoPappy said:

she has some sinister plans to use that money for quilting.... any comments on that?

Pick your battles?  :)

dirtrider
49 minutes ago, MotoPappy said:

Thank you!  Slipped cable into place and presto----good idle and died when that injector was unplugged.  Off tomorrow for inspection then some rides.  Only thing is that my wife now knows that I didnt spend anything to get it running and she has some sinister plans to use that money for quilting.... any comments on that?

Afternoon  MotoPappy

Let her make the quilt, my wife & sister made a quilt years ago. It saw some use in the house over the years but ultimately turned into a soft bed for my shop cat. Wife is happy, shop cat is happy, so I am happy. 

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the website here_ You will find it's a friendly group.  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
King Herald
14 hours ago, MotoPappy said:

We’ve all done it, it seems to be a part of the BMW ownership initiation system. :5147:
 I’d read about it so many times that the first time mine did it after a fuel tank service I knew within seconds to quickly eyeball both cables and make sure they were seated. One wasn’t. 

dirtrider
38 minutes ago, King Herald said:

We’ve all done it, it seems to be a part of the BMW ownership initiation system.
 I’d read about it so many times that the first time mine did it after a fuel tank service I knew within seconds to quickly eyeball both cables and make sure they were seated. One wasn’t. 

Morning  King Herald

It's typically the R/H side that causes the issues. The R/H side cable out of position causes a dead cylinder at idle that is difficult to diagnose if not familiar with the way the BMW fueling system works as it usually acts like a no-spark condition. (the R/H side cable out of position causes a lot of air let in but no fuel to go with it)

If the L/H side cable is out of position that is an easy diagnosis & is easily found as it gets lots of fuel added to go with the additional air so you get a good running engine but a very high idle that won't go away. (the high idle usually prompts the look for a tight throttle cable or vacuum leak). It doesn't take long to find the tight (out-of-position) cable. 

• Plus 1 2