IGNORED

OIL

Old School

Old School

I know that this is a hotly contested topic, and may stir up some controversy, but I thought I would share some information that i found in my Haynes service manual.

Oil.thumb.jpg.5937511d56fd5e232411664cbfd3f824.jpgBMWManual.thumb.jpg.cbd8576a0513212ed20117fbe91d5966.jpg

chrisolson

Not a criticism of your post ,,, but purely in jest ...

my oil is better than your oil ...

:5590:

"The extra expense  at each service ..."

of course not forgetting that old bromide ... "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider "

• Plus 1 1
34 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Not a criticism of your post ,,, but purely in jest ...

my oil is better than your oil ...

:5590:

of course not forgetting that old bromide ... "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider "

Rotella T6, everything else is just,.....oil :grin:

Rinkydink

I have started running my oil through my Keurig before it goes in my scoot. The difference is amazing!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
9 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

running my oil through my Keurig

Which filter do you use ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

If it's not an unbleached filter, you will not get the same benefits as Rotella, only the unbleached filters will help all lesser oils to reach a level of Rotella

• Like 2

I use peanut oil… has a higher smoke point, and in a pinch you can drain enough to make fries

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I liked the statement in the manual about modern high-revving motorcycles benefitting from synthetic oil. I wouldn't exactly classify the boxer motor as high revving.

chrisolson

I think the  OP was focusing on the " overall advantages" of full synthetic ... the manual also makes no mention of the JASSO four stroke standard  

1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

I think the  OP was focusing on the " overall advantages" of full synthetic ... the manual also makes no mention of the JASSO four stroke standard  

I figured the same, I just found that high revving statement funny in a Boxer motor manual.

I use synthetic in my Harley, and it is the antithesis of high revving, so I acknowledge the benefits of syn oil.

8 hours ago, chrisolson said:

What the heck is JASSO four stroke standard?

If JASO MA is referenced then low moly content to meet JASO standards for wet clutch compatibility has no application to the dry clutch found in hexhead/camhead engines.

FWIW I do prefer the extra protection of a synthetic in an engine that is not liquid cooled. Liquid cooled engines operate within a narrow range of oil temperatures but air/oil cooled engines cannot control oil temps like that. You can smell and see the difference over time between mineral oil and synthetic oil on internal engine surfaces. One has brownish or caramel colored deposits and one does not. Unless of course it's a low mileage example.

Rinkydink
16 hours ago, taylor1 said:

I have an old UNI foam filter right now. Checking on a K&N. It’s a lifetime filter. 

8 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Checking on a K&N. It’s a lifetime filter. 

You get another 15-20 horsepower with that one,........don't know why you waiting so long to get it:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
42 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

You get another 15-20 horsepower with that one,........don't know why you waiting so long to get it:classic_biggrin:

That and a slip-on pipe and you'll be doing unintended wheelies every roll of the throttle!

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I didn't know K&N made a filter to fit a Keurig

Well,...now you know and knowing is half the battle.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
szurszewski
On 1/28/2024 at 7:50 AM, Hosstage said:

I liked the statement in the manual about modern high-revving motorcycles benefitting from synthetic oil. I wouldn't exactly classify the boxer motor as high revving.

...or modern....

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

...or modern....

Well, I didn't want to disparage such a beloved brand!

• Haha 1
szurszewski
23 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Well, I didn't want to disparage such a beloved brand!

modern doesn't always mean better ;)

59 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

modern doesn't always mean better ;)

Nope. I still stick with my old tractor motor Harley, still brings a smile to my face every time. And it's been quite reliable. It's about as simple a machine as there is. The motor is basically an old pushrod Chevy motor with two cylinders.

pwillikers

Up until today I thought a Rotella was a tomato!  Learn something of value every day admonished my mother!

• Haha 1