IGNORED

Oil head common problems/reliability to look out for

maxredline

maxredline

As the years roll on the oil heads are becoming collectable by way of insurance coverage which is much lower than non collectable here.

So I am now looking at the Oil head range to 1999. Forgive me if my numbers are not correct. Anyhow I am see a 1999 that tweaks my interest.

Any info regarding the reliability of the oil heads is appreciated. 

Michaelr11
2 hours ago, maxredline said:

Anyhow I am see a 1999 that tweaks my interest.

Oilheads are probably around the lowest resale value they will have.  I think the rise in value will be slow, so collectability is not a concern for me.

The 1997 and later 1100RT bikes (M97 transmission) are very reliable. That doesn't mean that parts don't wear and need replacement, but overall the bike is very maintainable and rolls on.

I have a 2001 R1100RT, with 265k miles. I have put on over 200k of those miles. I ride the bike regularly and ride this bike 15k+ each year. I have repaired final drives. Replaced rotors, repaired a rear caliper, and a bunch of other repairs. Regular maintenance is monitored and performed (by me).  And that is the key - regular maintenance. If you can't perform regular maintenance, these bikes will be very expensive to own.

• Like 2
Jim Moore

An oilhead with a five-speed transmission from 98-99 will be a very reliable bike. At this point you can fix almost anything on the bike for a few hundred bucks worth of Ebay parts. IMO you want to avoid the six-speed and the servo brakes, both of which came later (with a few exceptions). 

• Plus 1 3
dirtrider
11 hours ago, maxredline said:

As the years roll on the oil heads are becoming collectable by way of insurance coverage which is much lower than non collectable here.

So I am now looking at the Oil head range to 1999. Forgive me if my numbers are not correct. Anyhow I am see a 1999 that tweaks my interest.

Morning 

The BMW 1100 5 speed motorcycle can be very reliable, or not so much, depending on how it was treated by the last owner(s), how it was stored long term (if it was stored long term), if maintenance was kept up, if it was abused,  etc.

Some older 1100 BMW's can be a real jewel & others can be a pig-in-a-Polk, it just DEPENDS.

If possible get the latest 1100 you can, the 1996 early 1997 would be low on the list but can be OK if properly cared for.

On older used 1100 BMW's a lot comes down to past owners & what has already been done.

The HES (ignition sensor) was a problem on the 1100 bikes, as well as some final drive bearing issues, & definitely the pre 1997 transmissions.

The good news is that all the parts are still available for the BMW 1100 bikes (that is a BIG plus), they are easy enough to work on so that is a plus, & lots on on-line help with any problem that shows up.  

The transmission on my '93 R1100RSL is the original M93 transmission and as I understand it at least from reading articles on the internet the M93 might actually be the best of the three.  It seems like the biggest issue with the M93 is the noise it makes when in neutral and idling and mine was a noisy one for sure until I started using Motul 80-90 gear oil with molybdenum.  Slowly over about 10K or so miles it quieted down completely and shifts very smoothly.  I've  even read that for various reasons the M93 seems to be more reliable than the M94, M97.  Anyway, I like my R1100RSL very much.

As a side note I'm getting close to selling my '10 FJR1300A because I'm having a harder and harder time at age 80 managing the weight of the bike but my R1100 is still no problem at all.  I can no longer put the FJR on the center stand without rolling the back tire up on a piece of 3/4" beveled plywood first.  The bike is absolutely pristine and has never been dropped with only 15.5K miles and never been in the rain,  hint..hint.  Valve check interval is 26K miles which to inspect is easy  and adjustments don't require special tools unlike the latest and greatest from BMW.  Oh, the BMW is about 130 pounds lighter than the FJR and with a lower center of gravity so there I go.  

if well looked after, they're all good. cheap, easy to work on, and lots of knowledge out there. I got a 1995 model because it will be eligible for historic registration next year (Australia), which means it's practically free to keep on the road. 

5 hours ago, dmsantam said:

if well looked after, they're all good. cheap, easy to work on, and lots of knowledge out there. I got a 1995 model because it will be eligible for historic registration next year (Australia), which means it's practically free to keep on the road. 

I live in the stated and Wisconsin allows me to put Collector plates on my 2004 RT this year (20 years old). So I will never have to pay registration again. Only thing I cant do is ride it in January , but in Wisconsin it generally below zero and snow, not conducive to road riding. 

• Like 1