IGNORED

Dormant R1200RT bottom of engine covered with mystery fluid

Bakingdude

Bakingdude

Hello -

I have a 2008 R1200RT with about 10,000 miles on it.  Due to getting a dog and changing my lifestyle, the bike has had very little use in the last 5 years.  I last rode it 1-1/2 years ago.  There was an "ABS failure" warning at that time, but otherwise it ran fine.  I parked it.

Recently, I noticed a light discolored spot on the concrete under the engine where it looked like a leak had occurred (I don't normally walk by it).  I looked from the left side up, and was horrified to see the bottom of the motor appeared to have been saturated by something.  My car was totaled a month ago, and I was checking the bike to see if I could use it in a pinch.  When I noticed this, I moved on to my backup car to continue to repair it instead - too much mentally to handle.  I still am wrestling with that matter, but this situation I will need to address at some point.

At the time of this observation, I noticed a horizontal machined hole about 3/4" in diameter at the bottom left side of the motor housing I had never seen.  Still in shock, my first thought was a plug came out and the oil drained.  However, there were no threads apparent in this hole.  Recently I saw a diagram that appears to depict this hole.

I can't tell on the sight glass if there is oil in the motor or not - the color is uniform.

I am looking for thoughts on what I may be dealing with before digging in.  Obviously I am not a regular rider, and I lack familiarity with my machine.  I am curious about that hole, but my guess at the moment is it is supposed to be there.  I can pull the oil plug and see what happens, but if there is another fluid reservoir that may be related to the symptom to check I would appreciate a tip.  Yes, I know I should sell it, but I have to get it running first.

Thanks in advance,
Don

What is the temperature in the garage? Could it be condensation from temperature changes?

Wipe a white rag on it to get a sample of color, smell if any.

Was it something you ran over before you parked it?

If it was a substantial oil leak, it would leave more than a light discolored spot.

Get some pictures as 81d says, of both the motor and moisture, and the discolored spot.

Brake fluid from ABS unit, or lines leading to and from?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Brake fluid from ABS unit, or lines leading to and from?

Time to start following the trail of stain up the side to the source.

Check the brake reservoirs for fluid.

dirtrider
12 hours ago, Bakingdude said:

Hello -

I have a 2008 R1200RT with about 10,000 miles on it.  Due to getting a dog and changing my lifestyle, the bike has had very little use in the last 5 years.  I last rode it 1-1/2 years ago.  There was an "ABS failure" warning at that time, but otherwise it ran fine.  I parked it.

Recently, I noticed a light discolored spot on the concrete under the engine where it looked like a leak had occurred (I don't normally walk by it).  I looked from the left side up, and was horrified to see the bottom of the motor appeared to have been saturated by something.  My car was totaled a month ago, and I was checking the bike to see if I could use it in a pinch.  When I noticed this, I moved on to my backup car to continue to repair it instead - too much mentally to handle.  I still am wrestling with that matter, but this situation I will need to address at some point.

At the time of this observation, I noticed a horizontal machined hole about 3/4" in diameter at the bottom left side of the motor housing I had never seen.  Still in shock, my first thought was a plug came out and the oil drained.  However, there were no threads apparent in this hole.  Recently I saw a diagram that appears to depict this hole.

I can't tell on the sight glass if there is oil in the motor or not - the color is uniform.

I am looking for thoughts on what I may be dealing with before digging in.  Obviously I am not a regular rider, and I lack familiarity with my machine.  I am curious about that hole, but my guess at the moment is it is supposed to be there.  I can pull the oil plug and see what happens, but if there is another fluid reservoir that may be related to the symptom to check I would appreciate a tip.  Yes, I know I should sell it, but I have to get it running first.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Morning Don

Things can seep from temperature changes & long term storage.

It could be any of the engine, transmission, clutch,  or fuel system fluids.

It could even be coming from the fuel tank vent hose as the tank breathes in & out through the evap canister. 

About all you can do is clean it up, check ALL the fluid levels--- engine, transmission, brake (front & rear reservoirs), etc.

Then get it started & ride it a little, THEN see if any leaks show up.

As for the holes in the engine case, NORMAL, the threaded ones are for engine holding fixtures or mounting things like crash bars & other accessories. The unthreaded ones are typically for machining fixturing or assembly line engine handling tooling. 

See picture below for normal engine holes.

jrEjLkc.jpg