IGNORED

screw location diagrams?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I was told someone here made diagrams showing where all of the body panel screws of various sizes/shapes go.   I took a pic of each screw near its hole when I was pulling panels off, and was planning to refer back to those photos during reassembly, but a diagram showing where each screw belongs would probably be a lot easier to use.

Anyone know where I can find these diagrams?

Most panel screws are the same. What I did with the ones over painted panels, was order the super thin OEM nylon washers that used to come standard (not anymore). So I know those go over painted panels. And the different sized ones (a few), I just put them back on their location, so all the panel screws on the floor are the same size, and no confusion. But still leave them next to (or under) each panel. Having said that, for me, it's pretty easy to know if I used the wrong one. If too short, it's obvious. Ha ha. If too long, I'd immediately know, since there should only be like a 3mm gap. But to save time, I opted to screw different ones back on:).

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Thanks folks, this is all really helpful info . :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Clicking that link leads to a SECURITY WARNING on my browser...BE CAREFUL!

My fault.  I should have put it on one of my other sites with a correct certificate.  I've edited the link.

In case anyone is interested, that site has pictures of my 1967 Ford F100...

Man, those images of those panels are nice and clearly defined.   I need to update mine.   Not sure how exact the '14-'18 chassis is, but from my FSM for the 2019 model, I have found a few variances in screw sizes.   I may need to make some new ones and keep them in 8" x 10" sized boards.   Meh, there is always procrastination,  so I will just ride instead.  :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Looking at this diagram:

image.thumb.png.a49bcdfa564cc8f6e48cf8d89e48fa6c.png

These are the three panels on top of the fuel tank.  The ones I've circled in red are located below the storage compartments.  I don't remember removing these screws in the first place.  Were there actually screws there to begin with?  Access is a bit of hassle after the storage compartments and side panels get put back in place, so I want to make sure I get this right before I button everything back up.  

I have not removed my panels yet. On the 18 model I had screws in both sides. Checking the mounting brackets for those screws on my 23 model, there is nothing screwed in to the boss on the left or right panel. IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.561968842bb6b93c27fe8e803f925899.jpegIMG_9493.thumb.jpeg.ed1a91032a7a650dc00bc0487a71176a.jpegIMG_9495.thumb.jpeg.15d0d2c28167f1ee063dcfbbcb9b2302.jpegI don’t know if this is any help. It is possible that the diagram is for the older models?

IMG_9499.jpeg

Joe Frickin' Friday
23 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Checking the mounting brackets for those screws on my 23 model, there is nothing screwed in to the boss on the left or right panel.

OK, thanks.  If your panels aren't off yet, then I'm guessing you took those pics from near the steer head?  Here's a view of my left panel screw location, viewed from the left side of the bike (my hand is lifting the storage compartment up for a clear view):

image.thumb.png.9e70bb6e2cc2bb407cee13d055dc8d3c.png

image.png.11dbc3cb5ac9c25dd7b220cc8439caa5.png

With the other screw holes on that panel properly lined up, this one doesn't line up well at all and it would be a (literal) stretch to make them line up.  Maybe that's why BMW left the screws out of this particular location?  

OK, I'll put the bike back together without putting screws in these holes.  If I have no screws left over at the end, I'll take that as a sign that I did the right thing.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone has removed my panels since assembly at the factory, since I only have 6k miles on the bike. I don't know these panel mounts don’t line up with the frame bosses. Mine have inserts for screws, but there’s nothing screwed in them. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

It is possible that the diagram is for the older models?

Yeah, at least one version of the diagrams is labeled for '14-'18 bikes.  So maybe the new body style ('21 and later) just doesn't use that screw?

• Like 1

I do remember form the 18 model, that the tabs between the center panel and the side panels would sometimes separate, if the panel was a little under stress. Maybe that is why BMW decided to not use this extra mounts?

Mitch,

I have a 22R1250RT, I just did my first air  filter check/change and was surprised to see those screws missing.  This is a good, not having/needing them when changing the air filler you don't need to remove the glove box on either side, just remove the screw from inside each box.  You will have enough room to remove the panel under it.  That also means you don't need to remove the speaker covers.    

3 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

With the other screw holes on that panel properly lined up, this one doesn't line up well at all and it would be a (literal) stretch to make them line up.

That doesn't look very German-like. Ha ha. And if you were to Dremel the plastic to line up with the screw holes, it'd end up with literally no plastic left, so I'd reluctantly leave it unscrewed too.

• 1 month later...
Scotto336

May be worth noting that there are long and short shoulders, though not in the same length.  For the shouldered screws, 17.5mm are long and 14.5 are short.