IGNORED

A Mirror Fix

RTmutter

The mirrors on my 2004 R1150RT were failing due to weak and/or broken spring fingers. Looking for a fix, I took a chance on the replacement mirrors found on AliExpress (and other sites). I wasn’t sure regarding the quality of the units but I was hopeful that the spring fingers would at least be useful even if the mirrors themselves were not. As it turns out, the mirror assemblies seem to be pretty good while the spring fingers themselves are garbage. Basically, the spring fingers have no “spring” to them. So after removing the base plates from the new mirrors, I used a Dremel to grind off the junk spring fingers and after some experimentation with screw types and sizes, ended up with a solution that might work out. Parts needed (qty 6 of each) Truss Head machine screws (8-32 x 0.5), Nuts, Washers, Nitrile O-Rings (7mm I.D x 11mm O.D) and Honda Mirror Setting Spring Fingers P/N 88115-MT3-000. Truss head screws worked best because their heads were the shortest of any I tried and that shortness was important for a proper fit onto the mounting pins on the bike.

Fingers.thumb.jpg.fcb7b3bb7c61ee87ad156380cd72198a.jpg

Parts Needed: Honda Spring Fingers, O-Rings, Truss Head Screws, Washers and Nuts. Longer screw in picture not used.

Mounting.thumb.jpg.8f69b451dc31c551a99d75a3e3488bf3.jpg

Example of Spring Finger Assembly mounted onto Pin. Low profile screw head needed to ensure a secure fit onto pin. 7mm O-Ring provides slight compression.

BasePlate.thumb.jpg.e29933e1f911f4c81b1d0b43ec4103b4.jpg

Test fit of Base Plate with Spring Fingers installed. Very secure!

Mirror.thumb.jpg.91896d378faeed5c76a2988849fc4b29.jpg

New Mirror with Honda Spring Fingers as installed on Bike. Looks good. Haven't been on road test at this point. Hope it works out long term.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 4
  • Thanks 1

Thats great RTmutter !  Might wanna post this up in the How To section. Makes it easier for folks looking for fixes than combing thru a ton of threads

• Plus 1 2

I did not try the O Rings on the OEM spring fingers. I had multiple broken petals on mine so I opted for trying the Honda part. I think the O rings would probably help to some extent. One thing I will be watching is how long the O rings hold up long term. If they lose their shape or break down the line, they are easy enough to replace. I need some warmer temps (at least a little warmer than the arctic stuff we have been having!) to get some riding in and see if any problems show up.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, RTmutter said:

I did not try the O Rings on the OEM spring fingers. I had multiple broken petals on mine so I opted for trying the Honda part. I think the O rings would probably help to some extent. One thing I will be watching is how long the O rings hold up long term. If they lose their shape or break down the line, they are easy enough to replace. I need some warmer temps (at least a little warmer than the arctic stuff we have been having!) to get some riding in and see if any problems show up.

Thank, i degreased my clips which helped also.  I have so much work to get down on mine, grips, injectors, some fuel tank hoses, stainer and more. The temps been so sub zero just ordering parts.  I am going to build some catch cables, I have the stuff to make steel leaders  for fishing they look no different than cables they sell. 

• Plus 1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
JBMotorrad

This is a fantastic approach!

Can you update us on the effectiveness of it under proper riding conditions?

I am on board to try this with mine....I've been using silicon caulk inside my degraded spring fingers area and a strip of duct tape underneath the mirror to hold the bloody thing still while underway.

What was BMW thinking with this design, I have to wonder....was the same problem on my K1200LT I once owned.

• chrisolson featured this topic
dirtrider
24 minutes ago, JBMotorrad said:

What was BMW thinking with this design, I have to wonder....was the same problem on my K1200LT I once owned.

Morning JBMotorrad

Probably thinking they should meet  ECE Regulation.

In a number of countries side view mirrors are required to be breakaway if contact with a pedestrian. BMW probably could have met that with foldable mirrors but they would then be more expensive, stick out farther, & be way more complex, plus look out of place on the sleek motorcycle fairing.

The side mirrors need a solid mounting so they can't just hang them off of fairing plastics.  

The design isn't that bad, the mirrors just need some elastic tension to help hold them on (like the BMW hexhead), or even a small screw like the camhead. 

JBMotorrad

Hi dirtrider, That is good info about the design requirement. I just don't know, though. I am not a huge fan of any design that requires "smack on/smack off" for maintenance. It seems to not be sustainable. There are many, many threads in this world around the failures over time of the design.

I am still VERY curious about @RTmutter and their pilot test ride!

Considering throwing money at them if they report in here. I think the idea is pure genius! I am currently waiting on my own set of Honda mirror springs to arrive to try it on my RHS mirror - which wiggles like overcooked spaghetti unless I duct tape the underside and fill all the spring holes with flexible silicon caulk!

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic
RTmutter

I have been out on a short ride with the new spring finger setup in place (maybe 30 miles total). The spring fingers are working properly so far, holding the mirror assemblies tight to the bike with no movement. The Honda Mirror Setting Spring Fingers (P/N 88115-MT3-000) are a quality product and I am expecting that the fingers will do their job properly for a long time to come.

One thing I need to look at further is the field of view of the new Chinese mirrors that I have in place. My first impression is that the FOV is a little smaller than the OEM mirrors. I will reinstall an OEM mirror for comparison and install the Honda fingers on the OEM mirrors if need be.

All in all, I’m very pleased with this fix so far. I will report back if any problems show up as I get more miles in over the coming months.

Redfoxx
1 hour ago, RTmutter said:

I have been out on a short ride with the new spring finger setup in place (maybe 30 miles total). The spring fingers are working properly so far, holding the mirror assemblies tight to the bike with no movement. The Honda Mirror Setting Spring Fingers (P/N 88115-MT3-000) are a quality product and I am expecting that the fingers will do their job properly for a long time to come.

One thing I need to look at further is the field of view of the new Chinese mirrors that I have in place. My first impression is that the FOV is a little smaller than the OEM mirrors. I will reinstall an OEM mirror for comparison and install the Honda fingers on the OEM mirrors if need be.

All in all, I’m very pleased with this fix so far. I will report back if any problems show up as I get more miles in over the coming months.

I bought my bike used last august, When the mirrors where off I noticed my right side mirror and guts looks new. So I am guessing replaced. That mirror also has  a poorer view than the left mirror.  I been playing with for a bit but that mirror shows more of my hand and arm, where the left mirror has much better view behind and around me.  Was thinking of adding handle bar mirrors, but now maybe look for replacement mirror glass and swap out. 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Redfoxx said:

I bought my bike used last august, When the mirrors where off I noticed my right side mirror and guts looks new. So I am guessing replaced. That mirror also has  a poorer view than the left mirror.  I been playing with for a bit but that mirror shows more of my hand and arm, where the left mirror has much better view behind and around me.  Was thinking of adding handle bar mirrors, but now maybe look for replacement mirror glass and swap out. 

Afternoon RF

I could never get a decent look around my arms with the stock 1150 fairing mirrors. 

I just installed a set of mirrors on the handlebars then adjusted the fairing mirrors all the way out for blind spot viewing.  

Handle bar mirrors are a lot easier to use as they are high up & more in your normal line of sight. 

Redfoxx
6 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon RF

I could never get a decent look around my arms with the stock 1150 fairing mirrors. 

I just installed a set of mirrors on the handlebars then adjusted the fairing mirrors all the way out for blind spot viewing.  

Handle bar mirrors are a lot easier to use as they are high up & more in your normal line of sight. 

DR

Thanks I saw someone's else's 1150 with mirrors off a i believe a K model, looked good. I actually have really good view in my stock left mirror. I will come up with plan here once I ride more.  I was hoping to ride today. but weather not cooperating. Roads are not drying and all the salt on them is not helping. But the temperature made it above 50F

RF

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Redfoxx said:

DR

Thanks I saw someone's else's 1150 with mirrors off a i believe a K model, looked good. I actually have really good view in my stock left mirror. I will come up with plan here once I ride more.  I was hoping to ride today. but weather not cooperating. Roads are not drying and all the salt on them is not helping. But the temperature made it above 50F

RF

Evening RF

I don't know how aggressive you ride but if like me you slide through traffic like poop through a Goose, then once you have the high mirrors you will never want to be on a motorcycle in traffic without them.   

• 2 weeks later...
JBMotorrad

I can confirm now that @RTmutter's design is solid. I modified it a bit and replaced a standard nut with a nylock nut.

I've road tested it now for over 200 miles at speeds of zero - fast MPH. It is solid. I've only modified the RHS mirror, but when the LHS needs it, I am going to repeat this DIY fix.
Off again, on again cycles: 3.

Great stuff! @RTmutter! Thank you for sharing such details!!

2004 R1150 RT