IGNORED

How to Convert Google Maps to GPX

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

First, allow me to say that I think that BMW's navigation system is a pain in the ass.  I would prefer to use my cell phone set to google maps, with turn by turn directions. But, nooooooo, not if I want to use the cell phone for other features of the BMW Ride Connect.  What a pain in the a$$.  

That said, I've been trying to convert my trip planning maps and directions into GPX all morning to no avail. I've been using the Maps to GPX web site, every time I enter the link to the map I want to covert (https://maps.app.goo.gl/7R4Mwa3SKyPov2du5) I get the following message:

FATAL ERROR

Not valid Goodgle maps directions data

So, now what do I do?

• Haha 1
Steveyacht
18 minutes ago, TSConver said:

I use gmaps2gpx plug-in

Thanks for responding.  I do have a couple of questions for you.  Have you had any problems with this system?  Have you elected to pay the fee?  I noticed that it doesn't have very good feedback. Any helpful hints you can pass on?

Steveyacht
6 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

You might try this website:

https://mapstogpx.com

Thanks for responding. That is the site I was trying to use when  the above warning popped up. Not able to do anything on that site.

Dave_in_TX
7 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

Thanks for responding. That is the site I was trying to use when  the above warning popped up. Not able to do anything on that site.

I have used that site in the past and it has worked for me.

Dave_in_TX

I was able to get it to work by just using the following as the destination:

955 Lesher Rd, Chambersburg, PA 17202

Steveyacht
1 hour ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have used that site in the past and it has worked for me.

I really appreciate your help, I just tried it again, this time on my phone vs laptop, I'm still getting the same error message that I posted above. I'll eventually get it straightened out, just a  matter of time, just so damned frustrating.

Steveyacht
45 minutes ago, msscull said:

Maybe these YT videos can help…

I watched this video also. Had high hopes for it, used the alternate Google Maps web site, yet when I tried to load the URL to the converter, same error message.

Thank you, I appreciate your help

3 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Thanks for responding.  I do have a couple of questions for you.  Have you had any problems with this system?  Have you elected to pay the fee?  I noticed that it doesn't have very good feedback. Any helpful hints you can pass on?

It works and I don't pay the fee.

Dave_in_TX
53 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I watched this video also. Had high hopes for it, used the alternate Google Maps web site, yet when I tried to load the URL to the converter, same error message.

Thank you, I appreciate your help

Have you tried using "955 Lesher Rd, Chambersburg, PA 17202" as the destination instead of "Hampton Inn Chambersburg, 955 Lesher Rd, Chambersburg, PA 17202" which is what you originally used as the destination?

Steveyacht
52 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Have you tried using "955 Lesher Rd, Chambersburg, PA 17202" as the destination instead of "Hampton Inn Chambersburg, 955 Lesher Rd, Chambersburg, PA 17202" which is what you originally used as the destination?

Yes, just tried it on a different computer. Same error message. I guess I need to find some kid to show me how to do it.

Dave_in_TX
13 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Yes, just tried it on a different computer. Same error message. I guess I need to find some kid to show me how to do it.

I tried it just now, and it worked for me. It may have been a problem on the web site.

I also need to learn how to do that crap, because every time I try to save a route in Google maps on my computer (MUCH easier), then saving it (sending it to my phone doesn't work either), and clicking on the link on my phone, it never works. It just opens google maps, but no route. It'd be perfect if I could just open those links on my phone, so I could use the phone (thru my Cardo) for directions (if ever needed). So maybe I need to convert it to GPX first, then click on it on my phone? I didn't like using my Cardo thru the TFT (and BMW app), so not using it anymore. Will still try to figure out how to read a saved route on my phone. But if it fails, might have to learn to use the BMW app again, with GPX files. So will follow this thread right after this. And yes, I also feel illiterate now (ha ha), and I was a computer programmer like 3 decades ago. Geez.

Steveyacht
5 hours ago, JCtx said:

I also need to learn how to do that crap, because every time I try to save a route in Google maps on my computer (MUCH easier), then saving it (sending it to my phone doesn't work either), and clicking on the link on my phone, it never works. It just opens google maps, but no route. It'd be perfect if I could just open those links on my phone, so I could use the phone (thru my Cardo) for directions (if ever needed). So maybe I need to convert it to GPX first, then click on it on my phone? I didn't like using my Cardo thru the TFT (and BMW app), so not using it anymore. Will still try to figure out how to read a saved route on my phone. But if it fails, might have to learn to use the BMW app again, with GPX files. So will follow this thread right after this. And yes, I also feel illiterate now (ha ha), and I was a computer programmer like 3 decades ago. Geez.

I feel your pain, or are you feeling my pain?  All I know is that such a simple thing to do, like use Google maps has been over engineered and put into BMW app. Biggest problem is, there doesn't appear to be anyway around it.  Even my car allows the choice of using the onboard system,  Google Car Play,  or  Apple Car Play.  

BerettaRacer

I used this instead of Google maps.

Last fall when prepping for a 10 day trip I tried out "Ride with GPS". Took a couple small trips to get the bugs out and set up the way I liked. Small things like telling the phone to stay on, etc. then it was fine. 

You design your route on the 'puter, and it transfers to your phone when you tell it to.

Also, on the puter, there are many pre-designed routes that you can send to phone.

Like in Little Switzerland area, I plugged in "Diamondback" and it popped up multiple pre made maps, picked the one I liked, and away.

I only paid for a 1 month subscription for the trip and that activates the voice "turn by turn" commands.

Dave_in_TX
11 hours ago, JCtx said:

I just tried copying the google maps link for a route and mailing it to myself. I was then able to open the link for the route successfully on my phone. I'm using yahoo mail and an Android phone.

Steveyacht
20 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Steveyacht

I finally got it. I figured I'd try using my phone for the whole process, make up the route on Google maps, use the converter app, and voila it worked.  One thing I learned is not to use the drag the icon to make a new waypoint, instead, I just added new destination. 

Dave_in_TX
14 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I finally got it. I figured I'd try using my phone for the whole process, make up the route on Google maps, use the converter app, and voila it worked.  One thing I learned is not to use the drag the icon to make a new waypoint, instead, I just added new destination. 

I think its a problem with the mapstogps web site. It worked for me yesterday but today I get the error.

3 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I just tried copying the google maps link for a route and mailing it to myself. I was then able to open the link for the route successfully on my phone. I'm using yahoo mail and an Android phone.

That's great to hear. Problem is I have an iPhone... BUT just changed it to a 15 Pro Max, so will give it another try, and hope for the best. Ha ha. It's a PITA to do anything thru the phone, since you cannot click and drag a route to change it, like you can on the computer. At least I couldn't before, so might try again, I guess, if sending a file from the computer fails again. I don't have an idea how to make such a route change from the phone without click and drag. And thank you for the feedback:cool:. Will post my results.

• Like 1
Steveyacht
3 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I think its a problem with the mapstogps web site. It worked for me yesterday but today I get the error.

Hate you got the error message, but happy to know I wasn't the only one.  I was beginning to question my sanity..................again

Steveyacht
On 1/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, msscull said:

Maybe these YT videos can help…

These were VERY helpful. thank you

• 1 month later...
simskid

I'm using a Mac.  Google maps to MapstoGPX didn't work until everything was done on Google Chrome.  MapstoGPX didn't work on safari.  Now it works great.  

Steveyacht

I ended up manually typing in the URL address of the google maps routing, instead of using copy and paste method.  It worked perfectly.