IGNORED

Americade Rally

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

Hopefully, this is the right place to post this.  

I'm planning a ride from coastal SC to the Americade rally this spring.  As a new BMW owner, is there anything at the rally I should look for?  

Patallaire
5 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

As a new BMW owner, is there anything at the rally I should look for?  

Depending on how much time you spend, the vender section is comprehensive and you can get anything and have it installed. There is a great small ferry that takes you to Vermont, you can ride over there and up to Ben and Jerry's ice cream as well as the Trapp Family Lodge{from the Sound of Music}, Lake Placid is a must, as well as White Face, The Cottage restaurant in Lake Placid is a great lunch restaurant, right on Mirror Lake.  A boat tour of Lake Placid is also neat to experience. Route 9 out of Lake George is scenic and twisty, going North. 

The following week, is Bike week in Louden NH and there are bike races to see on the track.  Great ride to get there and great rides around the area.  Don't miss Polly's Pancake house as well as Robert Frosts home. 

This is all dependent on your schedule. 

• Like 2
Steveyacht

My question was poorly worded. Are there any activities that are geared towards the BMW owners?  Does BMW MOA have a presence there?  I went to the first Americade Rally in Lake George as well as the next 4 or 5, as I lived about 110 miles from there, at that time.  I haven't been back since 1990 (I think) and decided to get back to that area.  Hoping to get up there on Wednesday evening, staying Wed and Thursday, then ride through New England, before heading back to SC.  

I’m pretty sure BMW will be there with their demo fleet. That’s probably going to be where most BMW riders are going to migrate to. :dontknow: But BMW specific events, I’m not familiar with any during the rally.

According to the Demo Rides page,  BMW is listed.  For some reason, the R18 models are mentioned, first, on the list.   What about the GS1300?  (asking for a friend)  :grin:

• Like 3

Americade was the first "rally" I ever attended in 1989.  I subsequently have attended about 25 or 30 times.  Yeah it was kind of an annual thing.   If you have not attended since 1990 I will tell you it has changed quite a bit.  Back in 1990 the focus was on the Luxury Touring bikes ala Honda Gold Wing,  Yamaha Venture, Kawasaki Voyager, Suzuki Cavalcade and BMW LT.   That being the case the demographics back then were primarily Gold Wingers and "touring" riders.  Noise control was a hot item and the Warren County Sheriffs worked hard at keeping loud pipes quiet.  The vendor Expo was HUGE with a lot of accessories (mostly geared toward touring bikes) and there was a row of pinstripers.  Today the feel of the event has changed a bit.  The demographic of bikes is no longer Luxury Touring Focused but is probably 50% or more Harley and the balance a mix of all other bikes.  There are probably more BMW riders today than in 1990 with the GS and RT being the most popular followed by the K bikes. The expo is pretty much reduced and fewer vendors of what I would call "quality parts" but still some good stuff if you look hard.  Depends on what you are looking for.  Bill Dutcher no longer runs the event but has handed the reins off to his son Christian who is trying to keep it alive with things like live rock bands and such.  The good news is they still bring in the MOST Demo teams anywhere so you really can ride most any bike you want to try out.   The lines for Demos are MUCH less than in 1990 where you had to get in line at or before 7 AM to get the ride you wanted.  BMW does have a presence there but probably somewhat small.  For ME my enjoyment of attending Americade is 1) to meet friends who attend and stay at the same motel 2) to check out all the varied bikes on Canada Street (not as many as in years past but still a pretty cool show with cool stuff) 3) do a demo ride or 2 on a bike I probably could not other wise ride and 4) do some of my favorite local rides ... up to Ticonderoga along the lake and then back on Rt.8 past Brandt Lake,  Up along Great Sacendaga Lake (spelled wrong I am sure) and just enjoying the area.   Most motels have 3 or more night min. stays but today you can find pretty reasonable rates IN town probably $150 or less per night.   You can do better if you stay farther outside of Lake George Village.  I have for the past 20 or so years stayed at a little motel IN town but off Canada Street behind the High School ... The Lido Motel.  It has changed hands 2 times since I have been staying there but the new owners (foreign but not sure where they are from) have treated us really well.  Rated this year are about $139 a night plus tax.   Nice thing is you can walk to dinner and Canada street nightly bike display and walk to the grocery store if you need anything.  The event has gotten much smaller and while they never publish the actual attendance I would guess it is half of what it was in its heyday or the late 90's early 2000's.   Oh ... and every thing is now located IN town so nothing is at Roaring Brook Ranch any longer.   Demos, Expo and Night time events area all in town. 

Hope this helps !! 

Enjoy the trip.  It has changed but hey ... where else can you see tens of thousands of bikes in one place and hang out with nice folks. 

• Like 1
Steveyacht
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Americade was the first "rally" I ever attended in 1989.  I subsequently have attended about 25 or 30 times.  Yeah it was kind of an annual thing.   If you have not attended since 1990 I will tell you it has changed quite a bit.  Back in 1990 the focus was on the Luxury Touring bikes ala Honda Gold Wing,  Yamaha Venture, Kawasaki Voyager, Suzuki Cavalcade and BMW LT.   That being the case the demographics back then were primarily Gold Wingers and "touring" riders.  Noise control was a hot item and the Warren County Sheriffs worked hard at keeping loud pipes quiet.  The vendor Expo was HUGE with a lot of accessories (mostly geared toward touring bikes) and there was a row of pinstripers.  Today the feel of the event has changed a bit.  The demographic of bikes is no longer Luxury Touring Focused but is probably 50% or more Harley and the balance a mix of all other bikes.  There are probably more BMW riders today than in 1990 with the GS and RT being the most popular followed by the K bikes. The expo is pretty much reduced and fewer vendors of what I would call "quality parts" but still some good stuff if you look hard.  Depends on what you are looking for.  Bill Dutcher no longer runs the event but has handed the reins off to his son Christian who is trying to keep it alive with things like live rock bands and such.  The good news is they still bring in the MOST Demo teams anywhere so you really can ride most any bike you want to try out.   The lines for Demos are MUCH less than in 1990 where you had to get in line at or before 7 AM to get the ride you wanted.  BMW does have a presence there but probably somewhat small.  For ME my enjoyment of attending Americade is 1) to meet friends who attend and stay at the same motel 2) to check out all the varied bikes on Canada Street (not as many as in years past but still a pretty cool show with cool stuff) 3) do a demo ride or 2 on a bike I probably could not other wise ride and 4) do some of my favorite local rides ... up to Ticonderoga along the lake and then back on Rt.8 past Brandt Lake,  Up along Great Sacendaga Lake (spelled wrong I am sure) and just enjoying the area.   Most motels have 3 or more night min. stays but today you can find pretty reasonable rates IN town probably $150 or less per night.   You can do better if you stay farther outside of Lake George Village.  I have for the past 20 or so years stayed at a little motel IN town but off Canada Street behind the High School ... The Lido Motel.  It has changed hands 2 times since I have been staying there but the new owners (foreign but not sure where they are from) have treated us really well.  Rated this year are about $139 a night plus tax.   Nice thing is you can walk to dinner and Canada street nightly bike display and walk to the grocery store if you need anything.  The event has gotten much smaller and while they never publish the actual attendance I would guess it is half of what it was in its heyday or the late 90's early 2000's.   Oh ... and every thing is now located IN town so nothing is at Roaring Brook Ranch any longer.   Demos, Expo and Night time events area all in town. 

Hope this helps !! 

Enjoy the trip.  It has changed but hey ... where else can you see tens of thousands of bikes in one place and hang out with nice folks. 

WOW. It sure has changed. I'm bringing a friend who's never been up in that area before. Leaving here in Tuesday getting there Wednesday late afternoon. Only going to stay a couple nights then head to north Conway NH for a couple nights, then head back to SC.  Hope I'm not disappointed.

59 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

WOW. It sure has changed. I'm bringing a friend who's never been up in that area before. Leaving here in Tuesday getting there Wednesday late afternoon. Only going to stay a couple nights then head to north Conway NH for a couple nights, then head back to SC.  Hope I'm not disappointed.

I think you’ll be fine and will enjoy it.  The nice thing is it’s not as crazy busy so easier to get around.  If your friend has never been up in that area he should have a good time.  Take a ride up Rt.9N to Hot Biscuit for strawberry shortcake and then return on Rt.8 over the mountain past Brandt Lake.  And the Honda dealer just south in Queensbury usually has free BBQ lunch on Wednesday 😁.

• Plus 1 1
Steveyacht
15 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I think you’ll be fine and will enjoy it.  The nice thing is it’s not as crazy busy so easier to get around.  If your friend has never been up in that area he should have a good time.  Take a ride up Rt.9N to Hot Biscuit for strawberry shortcake and then return on Rt.8 over the mountain past Brandt Lake.  And the Honda dealer just south in Queensbury usually has free BBQ lunch on Wednesday 😁.

I'm sure we'll be ok, I'm most likely going to be disappointed, because of my memories of the, "good old days" at Roaring Brook Ranch with the Bike Light Shows, meeting Dave Despain when he sat at our table to interview our group, the fireworks on Million Dollar Beach, and the vendors. I remember the first year that the vendors were at 6 Flags, where I met Dave Corbin and had him work up the measurements for a new seat, which I ordered from him.  

Maybe it's better that I'm thinking of only spending Wednesday and Thursday nights. We can have dinner at the Log Jam (if it's still there) or do Italian at Mario's.  Then leave on Friday morning, up 9N to Ti, take the ferry to Vermont then cross over to NH and have lunch at Hart't Turkey Farm, near Laconia.  Ride around the Lake Winnipesauke, then take the Kancamangus Highway to North Conway.  Use that as a hub for the next couple days, ride to Freeport, Maine and stop in LL Bean, not to mention have some great Maine Lobster. Then, take the 1300 mile or so ride home.  Hell, if Michelin is at the Rally, I may need tires by the time I get there!

I'm thinking of giving that Motel you suggested a call, see what they have available.

HA!  You've GOT IT!   Pretty sure the Log Jam is still there (I was never a regular there as we'd always walk to dinner).  But Mario's was certainly there in 2022,  I missed 2023.  You will have a great time but it will just be a bit less crazy busy.  And you buddy who's never been will love it.  The ride up 9N and the Ferry Ride is a must do for sure.  Never been to the Turkey Farm but may need to add it to my list.  And if you are up north near Warrensburg you should stop into Heid's Motorcycle shop that is truly a blast from the past!   If you do stay at Lido I may see you there.  Right now my plan is to stay Wed to Sun. although I may exit on Saturday.   The Lido is not fancy but clean and a great location at reasonable price.  And you can walk across Canada Street to Tamarack for breakfast. 

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/news.asp?id=327305

• Like 1
Steveyacht
2 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

HA!  You've GOT IT!   Pretty sure the Log Jam is still there (I was never a regular there as we'd always walk to dinner).  But Mario's was certainly there in 2022,  I missed 2023.  You will have a great time but it will just be a bit less crazy busy.  And you buddy who's never been will love it.  The ride up 9N and the Ferry Ride is a must do for sure.  Never been to the Turkey Farm but may need to add it to my list.  And if you are up north near Warrensburg you should stop into Heid's Motorcycle shop that is truly a blast from the past!   If you do stay at Lido I may see you there.  Right now my plan is to stay Wed to Sun. although I may exit on Saturday.   The Lido is not fancy but clean and a great location at reasonable price.  And you can walk across Canada Street to Tamarack for breakfast. 

We'll look for you at Lido's. As long as it's clean and warm/cool when needed, I'm happy.  Used to do the Laconia thing for nearly 13 years, camping at the track when it was nicknamed, Animal House.  WHEW, it's a wonder we got out of there without too much damage, except for Ben, who had a hole in his foot from a large firecracker, but I digress...........................

• Like 1

Here are a few shots of Heid's when I needed a battery in my 2006 RT.   Truly an old school shop where they don't mind you watching and asking questions !! 

100_2255.JPG

100_2256.JPG

100_2259.JPG

100_2260.JPG

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
Steveyacht
On 1/28/2024 at 8:50 AM, Steveyacht said:

We'll look for you at Lido's. As long as it's clean and warm/cool when needed, I'm happy.  Used to do the Laconia thing for nearly 13 years, camping at the track when it was nicknamed, Animal House.  WHEW, it's a wonder we got out of there without too much damage, except for Ben, who had a hole in his foot from a large firecracker, but I digress...........................

Just made reservations at https://luzernecourt.com/ I wasn't able to book at Lido, they wanted a 3 night minimum, our schedule won't allow that.  This place is only about 7-8 miles from downtown Lake George and out of the way of everything.  Looks like a nice place.