IGNORED

Front shock leaking

Rex R

Hi guys and gals

Told by shop that front shock is leaking on 2016 RT with only 12k miles.  New Part is $2200 + labor.

Any advice?  Any alternatives?  Special extended warranty or recall on the part?  (Hey, I can dream, right?)

I have a set of aftermarket shocks for a WetHead RT on the shelf. They are made by TracActive and are ready to install. I bought them from Ted’s Bemer Shop. I can sell them for $2,100. Plus shipping. 

Not to undercut Bernie, but my Hexhead front shock was leaking and I found a used low mileage one that costs me mebbee $150ish......but I'm cheap like that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bernie said:

I think Wilber’s USA in NJ be will rebuild OEM shocks for around $450.00 or so. 

Oh,...hmmmm, ESA's?  Guess I should look at that,....the rear shock has 150k+ and the front prolly 80k or more,...don't remember the mileage I bought on that used shock.

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Oh,...hmmmm, ESA's?  Guess I should look at that,....the rear shock has 150k+ and the front prolly 80k or more,...don't remember the mileage I bought on that used shock.

They told me that they could rebuilt or refresh ESA shocks for BMW bikes on the phone a year ago.

• Smile 1
4 hours ago, Stiggy said:

Did they show you the leaking shock when it was up on the lift? How severely is it leaking? Drip or a wet spot? (Does it have to be replaced immediately?)

https://wilbersusa.com/services/

Thanks everyone for your input.

No, Stiggy. I didn't see it myself, although I did ask how much and if it was possibly external  (like something dripped onto it during the annual service) instead of a seal leaking.  Also told them I will probably come in this week to see that and something else they notified me about.

Anything you can suggest to look for re the leak when I'm there?

I'm hardly expert, (but we know who to reach out to if repairs are needed.) But just like in our shop at work, the source of moisture is first thing to uncover IMO. Leak from the cap? New or old leak? A wet spot? Dirt under seal leads to piston scoring? You can't see too much up there when it's on the bike.

They may have to remove the shock to determine more. What's that gonna' cost? Or do they just replace as GP? Just ask a lot of questions.

I would go there and ask what they're talking about long before I'd authorize a $2,200 replacement . (Some Service Writers are paid on commission btw...)

I'd also discuss the cost of just R&R with a repaired unit that was sent out for rebuild.  (Wilbers)

And for me personally, all that info might determine when I'd be ready to repair it sometime in the future as well. (maybe)

Good Luck!

27 minutes ago, Stiggy said:

I'm hardly expert, (but we know who to reach out to if repairs are needed.) But just like in our shop at work, the source of moisture is first thing to uncover IMO. Leak from the cap? New or old leak? A wet spot? Dirt under seal leads to piston scoring? You can't see too much up there when it's on the bike.

They may have to remove the shock to determine more. What's that gonna' cost? Or do they just replace as GP? Just ask a lot of questions.

I would go there and ask what they're talking about long before I'd authorize a $2,200 replacement . (Some Service Writers are paid on commission btw...)

I'd also discuss the cost of just R&R with a repaired unit that was sent out for rebuild.  (Wilbers)

And for me personally, all that info might determine when I'd be ready to repair it sometime in the future as well. (maybe)

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  They already offered me the option of a rebuild for approx $500 for the part, plus labor to R&R, with a one-year warranty covering parts and labor.  But still going to see them in person for an in-person inspection and to look at other issues.

If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions, I'm all ears. 

1 hour ago, Stiggy said:

Good Luck!

You don't need to remove the strut to see if it's leaking you can see it under the fairing (much easier on a lift). The only source of a leak on the front strut would be dampening fluid. There is not much dampening fluid in the shock if it's leaking it needs to be addressed. Personally, I'm not running around with a blown front shock.  The dealership offer to rebuild seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
GreyWarden

I don't know where you live, but there are suspension workshops that will service ESA and Dynamic ESA shops and can carry out that repair for you. Start sending around a few emails to suspension workshops with a picture of your leak and for a quote: I have a trusted one but he's likely on another continent so shipping costs may be a tad high for you. I found my front shock was slightly leaking at 90000+km and three years after the first rebuild. Now I have Wilbers/Wunderlich units.

PS: before removing the tank to get to the front shock ESA connector remove the two painted tail panels. You can thank me later.

Bassomatic

Are the new shocks non-ESA? I just bought a  07 RT without ESA and was wondering about replacing the original shocks with Ohlins or Wilbur’s. I did track days for a lot of years on sportbikes but just got rid of what will probably be my last one, but I’d like to still do the occasional day with one of my local orgs that has a lot of old guys on a mix of bike types in their slow group. I also want to feel like I’m not wallowing in the twisties on the street. Any advice appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum!

You'll get the most responses by posting in the correct section for your bike which would be Hexhead for your 07.

To your question, high quality suspension units will completely transform your RT. I used Ohlins on my 05 and put almost 5000 track miles on it with those. Ridiculous fun with proper shocks.:revit:

• Like 2

I used Ohlins for 150K miles on my 2007 RT. 

The biggest improvement came after I had the proper spring rates for my weight, my payload and the damping adjusted for my riding style.

You can have similar results with Wilbers.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2