IGNORED

2024 Kawasaki KLX 300 and 300SM Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2024 Kawasaki KLX 300 and 300SM Review intro

Kawasaki’s KLX series began in 2005 with the KLX110 and, over the years, developed into a mix of both street-legal and off-road variants. Recently, I attended the launch of their 2024 KLX300 and KLX300SM at the Blackmore Ranch facility near Murrieta, CA, riding the KLX300 off-road at the nearby Wildomar OHV area and the SM on the twisties of the nearby coastal mountain range. Let’s dive in and discuss the bikes’ variants based on those experiences.

2024KLX300SM Review 1

I’m happy to see Japanese thumpers finally migrating their way up to the 300cc mark for dual-sport riders. Right off the bat, I noticed the power upgrade of the 292cc motor, especially in comparison to my personal 2014 WR250R. Honda and Kawasaki were the first to move their quarter-liter bikes into the 300 range back in 2021; we’re still waiting for Suzuki and Yamaha to fill this niche.

• Performance

The Kawi’s low-end torque was great on hill climbs, especially not having to downshift as frequently to get over obstacles. But there were a few occasions where the transmission popped out of gear on a precarious off-camber hill climb. That may be due to it needing to be broken in or that I wasn’t fully accustomed to the bike’s nuances.

The beefed-up suspension was also a welcome upgrade, as this area was lacking in past models. Both on- and off-road, the stock adjustable suspension was a noticeable improvement. In my opinion, stock suspension from competing dual-sport manufacturers is often geared more toward lighter riders and not the typical North American male.

With the typical two-ish gallon stock steel tank on both bikes, you won’t make it very far, but nowadays that seems to be the standard in this class (this helps keep the bikes’ wet weight down to 302 lb.). Hopefully, the aftermarket will come to the rescue with larger capacity upgrades.

• Ergonomics

The 2024 models have a narrower stance than the previous KLX300/SM. The dual-sport version comes in three colors: classic lime green, gray, and camouflage gray. The SM comes in two colors: battle gray and a subdued turquoise called “Phantom Blue.” Both also have more attractive and power-efficient LED head and tail lamps. However, the turn indicators retain the traditional incandescent bulbs.

2024KLX300SM Review color

A tiny complaint is the dash indicator, where the green neutral is right next to the green turn indicator. When quickly glancing at the dash, I found it could be a bit confusing. Other than that, the dash is nicely laid out and easy to read (even in daylight). There’s a tach but no fuel gauge; the fuel light goes on when .9 gallons remain, roughly half the tank’s capacity.

2024KLX300 Review Dash

One curious note is the location of the battery and coolant overflow bottle. They are opposite the muffler on the left-hand side, tucked away and better protected by the beefy metal subframe and heavy-duty plastics. With these two items located away from the engine area, airflow to cool the motor is increased.

• Finishing Touches

The SM was a hoot to ride—it’s hard to believe how much fun a lightweight supermoto can be. It’s truly a flickable bike that boasts a shorter wheelbase as well as a lower center of gravity due to its shortened suspension and 17-inch wheels, which make it easier to throw into the turns. And the stock IRC Road Winner tires inspire confidence in the twisties. Another nice touch is the small zippered rectangular tool bag—located just behind the rider. No more rooting behind side panels for your wrenches or screwdrivers!

2024KLX300SM Review fun

One notable item I really don’t like is the frequency of the recommended valve check/adjustment. The first scheduled service, after its initial break-in period, recommends every 7,600 miles to open up the top cover to check valve clearances. Perhaps if you don’t mind frequent wrenching, it’s a non-issue. However, at the same time, the oil change interval is a nice long 7,600 miles.

Both models come with a one-year warranty and an option to get extended coverage through Kawasaki Protection Plus for up to 48 months for an additional fee. Overall, with a decade of proven track record, I say you can’t go wrong with a Team Green product.

2024KLX300 Review 2

Note: This review was intended only as a light overview. For more in-depth discussions and specifications, visit Kawasaki.com or AdventureMotorcycle.com.

MSRP: $6,199–$6,399

PROS:

• Lightweight
  • Suspension updates

CONS:

• Valve service intervals
  • Dash light layout

Read more ...

View the full article