IGNORED

What is the "Adaptation Re-learn Procedure"?

pwillikers

pwillikers

What is the official BMW "Adaptation Re-learn Procedure"?   Can someone point me to documentation?  Thanks.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, pwillikers said:

What is the official BMW "Adaptation Re-learn Procedure"?   Can someone point me to documentation?  Thanks.

Afternoon pwillikers

Not much that I know of on the hexhead or camhead. 

The manual just says follow the  procedure in BMW Motorrad diagnostic system after stepper replacement or for synchronization. 

The adaptives pretty well learn on their own as you ride it so it basically adapts to the o2 sensor input as well as somewhat to how you ride it. The short term (adaptives)  learn very quickly & the long term adaptives take a while to fine tune themselves. 

I don't know what the base nominal is after clearing the adaptives but it should default to something that runs & idles. 

Personally, I usually don't hold the steppers during a TB sync as no-one rides it with held steppers. I just make darn sure that I do the TB sync adjustment with the stepper positions locked together (before they go into independent control). It takes a few minutes for even a hot engine to go into independent stepper control. 

But I do ride the motorcycle after service just to verify the motorcycle has learned a stable idle & to allow the fueling to adapt. 

If I have fans on the engine I will usually run the RPM's on hot engine (in neutral in place) to 2000rpm's, 3000rpm's, 4000rpm's holding at each rpm position for 3-4 seconds. This gives the steppers a rough baseline.  Then I ride the motorcycle to verify ridability. 

If your fueling system is allowing it to idle & take the throttle then just ride it as normal as it will quickly re-learn what it needs. 

If you want to fool with it,  you already know what the MotoScan did to it's after service idle. Try a stepper hold & an adaptive clear with the GS-911 & see if it runs (idles) better after using the GS-911 than it did after using the MotoScan. 

pwillikers

From what I've been able to glean from internet babble, this inability_to_idle malfunction that I experienced, which occurs after performing a throttle body synchronization, is only evident on camheads.

D.R., to answer your question, I had obtained the GS911 while still in the midst of trying to correct the malfunction.  At that time, I performed HEX CODE's throttle body synchronization procedure with the GS911.   It did not rectify the issue.  Also at that time I did not perform HEX CODE's "reset all adaptations" procedure.  I instead chose to ride around for a half hour and see if the camhead RT would adapt and repair itself, which, as stated elsewhere, it did. 

I have not run HEX CODE's "reset adaptations" procedure.  I believe if I had done so immediately following the throttle body synchronization, it most likely would have reset the adaptations to a state in which the RT would have been operable.  This last point is conjecture.

Nowhere in either MotoScan's or HEX CODE's throttle body synchronization instructions, is it suggested to perform a "reset of all adaptions".   I found two references in HEX CODE's fora which ultimately led to the solution.