IGNORED

WA, OR, ID, MT- Ride

Finalizing some trip planning for my upcoming June trip to WA, OR, ID, MT (and a quick stop in NV).  Looking for road/route/ POI recommendations for the following locations. 

Bend OR

Klamath Falls OR

Lakeview OR

Salmon ID

Lolo MT

Walla Walla WA

cheers!

Dan

• chrisolson featured this topic

Mr. Obvious is here to suggest Crater Lake between Klamath and Bend. ;) Southeast of Lolo is Chico hot springs  in Pray Mt. I stayed there one night passing through the area, it was a neat place. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
RandyShields
5 hours ago, S.O.B. said:

Looking for road/route/ POI recommendations for the following locations. 

Dan, I did that area twice in the last few years, once along the coast and once not.  Fantastic rides and sights.

This link is to my Westward Ho ride report in 2019.  Check out days 14-16 which may be near your rides.

Westward Ho -- Torrey and Beyond - Ride Tales - BMWSportTouring

Then, last year, I rode up to coast and across MT before heading home.  Check out days 1-9.

3rd Corner/Pacific Lighthouse Tour - Ride Tales - BMWSportTouring

Have fun!

Randy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just north of Redmond, Oregon you will cross the Crooked River gorge.... "Peter Skene Ogden" state scenic viewpoint/ rest area gets you an incredible look at the railway bridge and the original hwy97 bridge. Highest rail bridge in the nation when it was built back in the day. Beautiful view of the Gorge.

This stop is easy to miss if'n you're not lookin' for it.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic
MontanaMark

S.O.B.,

Depending on how far afield you want to go and how much time you have, here are a few suggestions:

1. US 12 from Lewiston ID to Missoula MT - 190 miles of twisties up the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers to Lolo Pass.  Speed limit is 50mph and enforced by Idaho HP.  You really don't want to go any faster anyway.  Very scenic ride.  Fuel is available in Kooskia, but after that your on your own.

2. Going-to-the-sun Road - Glacier National Park.  You'll need reservations to ride the road (started a couple of years ago to manage traffic) See this website for more info: https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/vehicle-reservations.htm

3. Beartooth Pass - Red Lodge MT US 212 to Jct 296 Chief Joseph Scenic Byway to WY 120 to Cody WY  The Ultimate Twisty Experience + freaking insane views of the Rocky Mountains.  Check out the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody.

Keep in mind that Going-to-the-sun and Beartooth may not be open in June due to heavy winter snow accumulation.  They're closed during the winter and they plow as soon as possible, but it's always a crap shoot. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Thanks everyone!  And thanks Randy for documenting your travels- lots to read and review! 

RandyShields
19 hours ago, S.O.B. said:

And thanks Randy for documenting your travels- lots to read and review! 

You mean re-read, since you were glued to these at the time of posting, right?

If you want/need, I have the GPX routes for these trips that I can send to you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Rob Nowell

It appears you already have Lolo Pass (Hwy 12) inked in, as you should.  Any way you can get ID's Payette and/or Sawtooth in?  US 93 from ID to MT?

I’ve been in these areas quite a bit. Let me know if you have your plan map out and you can send a link. I can take a look and recommend great roads that I know along the route.  I’m just on Lola pass last year. Love that road.

• 2 months later...

I live in the midst of some lovely roads and scenery, but am finally planning to cover more than short half-day trips of it this summer.  Last July I discovered and joined a group of sport and sport touring jockeys for the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club run from Lolo, MT over the Highway 12 hill to Lochsea Lodge, ID ... share a meal, then ride back ... with each rider choosing their own level of con-brio. This summer I will be expanding my area of operations to include Beartooth Pass, Wise River, Chief Joseph Highway and the Hell's Canyon area of Oregon/Idaho. 

My regular (semi-) pointless exercise is the lovely 14-mile stretch of Highway 93 over Lost Trail Pass straddling the Montana/Idaho border. That is my all time favorite stretch of pavement. A nice stop at the Idaho end is Broken Arrow Mexican restaurant in Gibbonsville, ID... very good food and comfortable atmosphere.