IGNORED

Ambient Temperature Sensor failed - implications for engine operation?

pwillikers

pwillikers

My instrument cluster's temperature reading is showing, ---F°, no reading.   The connector to the black pointy temp sensor on the lower right front fairing is delivering ~4.5V to the sensor.  The resistance across the disconnected sensor's pins is ∞.  Thus, I conclude that the sensor itself is bad.  I ordered a replacement from ebay.

Is this sensor used for any critical engine (or other) function?  Is it safe to motor about for the ensuing weeks until the replacement is installed?

RadioFlyer

It is not involved in engine management. 

The ECU uses engine temp and intake air temp.

dirtrider
15 hours ago, pwillikers said:

My instrument cluster's temperature reading is showing, ---F°, no reading.   The connector to the black pointy temp sensor on the lower right front fairing is delivering ~4.5V to the sensor.  The resistance across the disconnected sensor's pins is ∞.  Thus, I conclude that the sensor itself is bad.  I ordered a replacement from ebay.

Is this sensor used for any critical engine (or other) function?  Is it safe to motor about for the ensuing weeks until the replacement is installed?

Morning pwillikers

In addition to what RadioFlyer posted above it also effects your dash ice warning indicator.  That displays a snowflake on the dash   indicating that the ambient temp is lower than 37 °F (3 °C).

pwillikers

The ebay ambient air temperature sensor arrived, has been installed and works perfectly.  Total cost: $5.55.   :-)

• Like 1