IGNORED

Wont Idle hot

JAllen

I have a 2011 R1200RT. Recently changed the left cam chain tensioner on the left side at 173000kms. Also did the valve inspection and for the first time since new changed out 6 shims to get back into near mid range. My problems is the bike starts up runs perfectly till getting up to  operation temperature. Then the bike starts messing about the idle surging till the bike quits. Have tried disconnecting battery and doing a three twist TPS reset to no avail. Bike restarts right away , but alas will not idle for long before it quits again,\.

Any thoughts

pwillikers

Is it possible that carbon deposits on your valves produced erroneous values when you initially measured valve clearances?   If this is the case, your newly installed shims may have created improper clearances and poor engine function that may not evident until the engine (and valves) heat up.

It is recommended to run several tanks of fuel treated with Chevron Techron prior to checking valve clearances in the hope that any carbon deposits on the valves would be removed by the treatment and subsequent valve clearance checks would therefore be (more) accurate.

dirtrider
18 hours ago, JAllen said:

I have a 2011 R1200RT. Recently changed the left cam chain tensioner on the left side at 173000kms. Also did the valve inspection and for the first time since new changed out 6 shims to get back into near mid range. My problems is the bike starts up runs perfectly till getting up to  operation temperature. Then the bike starts messing about the idle surging till the bike quits. Have tried disconnecting battery and doing a three twist TPS reset to no avail. Bike restarts right away , but alas will not idle for long before it quits again,\.

Any thoughts

Morning   JAllen

That sort of sounds like an o2 sensor issue, the engine fuels to fixed mapping, temperature, & RPM when cold. As soon as the o2 sensors become heated & become active they take over engine fueling control. At restart it again runs open loop until the o2 sensors come back on line.

Any chance that you somehow disturbed one of the o2 sensor plugs or pigtails.  

In any case follow the o2 sensor wire pigtail from the each o2 sensor to the first connector then make sure that they are snaped together securely. 

Did you do anything else when working on the motorcycle (ANYTHING?????)

Also, a very slight possibility that you damaged the upper stick coils when removing them but the engine will usually stay idling on the lower plugs but not very good & usually won't take the throttle smoothly. 

You didn't spray any silicone into or around open intake area did you?  This can harm o2 sensors. 

You might need to get a GS-911 on that bike to point a finger & save a lot of diagnostic time if you can't easily track it to an o2 sensor. 

Well I have officially given up and the bike is at my local dealer. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

• 3 weeks later...
pwillikers

I'm curious what the dealer mechanic discovered as the issue.  Any update JAllen?