IGNORED

Blew my top on the ride home today...

Roadwolf

Every once in a while it happens to me... the left hand turn in front of me. This time I had enough (Monday, bad day at work, more work waiting on me at home, etc. you know the drill).

Elderly couple in a Buick Ranier SUV decide to run through a green light and turn in front of oncoming traffic. I was already getting up to speed (me and guy in Ford Explorer next to me). Elderly couple, man driving are totally oblivious to the fact all oncoming traffic are shifting their weight on their front suspension from hard braking. I have a split second to decide what to do. Go forward or give them a piece of my mind. I chose the latter. They are heading to Greenville-Spartanburg Airport and the short mile to the terminal, I cool off, but still am committed to saying something. Following into the rental car return and seeing them pull into a space, I park behind them, get off the bike, tap on the driver's side window, still wearing my helmet. Conversation goes something like this:

"Hey, did you see me and the other cars coming through the intersection at that last light?"

"Uh, no."

"Well, you almost took me out. The number one collision between a motorcycle and car is what you just did."

Him: "I am sorry. I did not see you."

Me: "About 6 weeks ago my wife and I had a little girl and I want to be around to see her for a good long while. In fact, I am going home to see her right now. Would not like to have her lose her Dad, understand?"

He is stammering, apparently at a loss of words now. I actually feel sorry for him, so I change my tune:

"Just watch out for us guys on two wheels. We don't have the steel around us like you do driving this thing," pointing at his nearly two ton plus gas guzzler.

With that, I said my piece, got on my bike, and wondered if it did any good. I was still shaking on my way home a bit.

But, then I got home and saw my little girl, Danica, and all was right with the world.

Chris

I talk to my elderly father about this topic, weekly. He's older and he forgets things, therefore, it's a weekly topic. "Have any close calls driving the car Dad?" "How are you feeling?", "Are you taking all of your medications?", "What did you eat yesterday?", "How does your body feel this morning?". "Have you noticed horns beeping when you drive in town Dad?" "Did you have any of those episodes where someone came out of nowhere Dad?".

I can't control what happens to him, but I do talk to him regularly about it. All of it. It's the least I can do for him and for the folks he encounters every day. It doesn't pay to hide my head in the sand.

I don't fault you for talking to that man. I understand how it affected you and why you backed off. Still, you have to have that conversation. The life you save might be one of us. For that I thank you. He'll deal with it. That's a small price for him to pay. Think of what you might have saved him from? That is an ugly thought. Scaring him might convince him to pay still closer attention. Yup, it might even cause him to turn in the keys. He's far better off dealing with hurt pride or limited freedom than living with blood on his hands. It's worth saving an elderly person from that fate.

The topic needs to be on the table in everyones home.

As long as you were reasonably respectful I see nothing wrong with what you did. Perhaps it will make them just a little more careful... for a while.

Man, you really scared me for a minute... I had this feeling you were going to pull him through the driver's window and make him kiss the curb...

As it turns out, you were very firm yet respectful. Nicely done thumbsup.gif

when my mother-n-law( she is 78) complained about not remembering where she was going, getting sleepy, confused and losing her way while driving, we(wife and I) called her doctor to check on the medicines she was on. He turned her in to be tested by the state for her driving abilities. She had to give up her drivers license.

Hmmm ... you do that in some parts of Kalifornia out here, and grampa with the faded gang tat's is liable to meet the face at his window with his sawed-off shottie. blush.gif

Just kidding ...

... a little.

That can be a tough priveledge to lose for someone who has been an independant contributing member of society for so long.

However, there are far more who should not be on the road, than those who had the priviledge removed too early.

Wayne

Trucker Kev

I've been known to do that in the past.

Now, when I see that kind of stuff, I just push a little button and the red and blue lights come on. thumbsup.gif

Ahhh, here's to instant gratification! clap.gif

Kevin

I've been known to do that in the past.

Now, when I see that kind of stuff, I just push a little button and the red and blue lights come on. thumbsup.gif

Ahhh, here's to instant gratification! clap.gif

Kevin

That's gotta feel good... smile.gifclap.gif

re Chris:

Prudent actions my friend ...

When tempted to chase malefactors and tell 'em a "thing or 2" my calming mantra is "you can't educate stupidity" dopeslap.gifeek.giftongue.gif

re: Kathy aka Paperbutt cool.gif

Wonderful words (as always !) from a wise woman !

great post. don't think you blew your top. sounds to me like you were in decent control. i go off worse when on my bicycle. easier to yell and gesture it seems.

I talk to my elderly father about this topic, weekly. He's older and he forgets things, therefore, it's a weekly topic. "Have any close calls driving the car Dad?" "How are you feeling?", "Are you taking all of your medications?", "What did you eat yesterday?", "How does your body feel this morning?". "Have you noticed horns beeping when you drive in town Dad?" "Did you have any of those episodes where someone came out of nowhere Dad?".

I can't control what happens to him, but I do talk to him regularly about it. All of it. It's the least I can do for him and for the folks he encounters every day. It doesn't pay to hide my head in the sand.

Kathy,

Is your conversation person-to-person or over phone? How does your elderly father react to these concerns? (Mom just passed away last week, so I'm in a similar situation - just curious but concerned about Dad as well)

Regards,

Mike O

Is your conversation person-to-person or over phone? How does your elderly father react to these concerns? (Mom just passed away last week, so I'm in a similar situation - just curious but concerned about Dad as well)

Mike,

I'm sorry about your Mom. This is a difficult time, especially for Dad. (big sigh)

I talk to my Dad 3-5 times a week long distance and visit him 3 times a year in person. When I first started to talk about this he bristled. My goal is to keep him evaluating himself, daily. It's a huge gamble. I pray that the folks out there with him recognize the old guy in the jazzed up Dodge Charger. I wish he drove a Buick!

My Dad is not the guy he used to be. I have to put myself in his ever changing shoes. I have to be extremely sensitive to what he's thinking and I take all my queues from him. That tells me whether to use humor, logic, or fear to talk about "your driving this week". The time of day we talk makes a huge difference. His medications alter him so much that morning is his most lucid and most like the guy I knew.

I tell him I love him a lot. Whenever I feel him bristle I tell him again. In a lot of ways we become so much more simple as we age. One thing remains true. Love conquers all. It's a motivation your Dad will trust.

He's used to the topic now. It's part of our world, part of our conversations. We talk about my driving, my riding, my world and we talk about his old friends who shouldn't be driving and why. We talk about all the "other" things that involve being on the road. Cripes, he loves to talk about the price of gas! I just make sure the topic comes up and then I pray. I've told him that I want him to evaluate every day. In return I do the same. It's important to acknowledge his fears for me. It's not just about him. I'm getting old too! grin.gif

Been there, done that.

Got to the gas station and asked the driver if he saw me. "No."

At least he didn't see all my lights blazing and then decided to pull out in front of me. thumbsup.gif

Couchrocket

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

People sometimes honestly don't see "on coming' bikes. ANYTHING that helps to arrest their attention is worth a couple of bucks.

My usual disclaimer about headlight modulators not being a panacea, substitute for vigilance, etc. ad naseum, may be assumed.

Thanks for the replies guys!

About the Headlight Modulator... don't know if that would have worked in this situation, though. This guy pulled out in front of three lanes of oncoming traffic... it just so happens that I was in the lead by about two car lengths and in the far right lane.

"Hey, did you see me and the other cars coming through the intersection at that last light?"

"Uh, no."

Bad news. If this individual keeps on driving like that, something's bound to happen, and it's not likely to be any good.

You have done the right thing, at some time into the future you might have save some other riders skin. thumbsup.gif he might now be more carefull

Steve Carter

My usual retort for this lame excuse is...

"Look, buster, there's a big difference between not seeing, and not even looking. How is it that you cannot "see" nearly 1000 pounds of man and machine in plain view?"

Idiots!

Bob.

Well, Chris, to be fair, you oughta ask yourself if you'd have done the same thing if it had been a pair of 25-year olds in a jacked up pickup truck with an "Insured by Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker.

Pilgrim

About 25 yrs. ago,I reacted the same way to an eldely man who turned directly in front of me while running about 60 mph.Both brakes as hard as I dared without locking the front.Was still doing about 30 as I cleared his rear bumper by less than 3 ft.Oh yeah,left thumb on the air horns throughout.

I turned around,followed them home,and waited at the front of thier short drive for them to extricate themselves from the car.As they did they saw me waiting,and I asked him if he ever saw me,or even looked.

He didn't answer,only turned to go into the house.As he did that,his wife told me to "go away and stop bothering us,were not hurting anyone". confused.gif

I rode away,hoping they never actually would.

Well, Chris, to be fair, you oughta ask yourself if you'd have done the same thing if it had been a pair of 25-year olds in a jacked up pickup truck with an "Insured by Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker.

Pilgrim

Well, I don't know if it's fair or not, but probably yes, although I'd probably would have handled it a bit differently, more cautiously, with my hand on the throttle ready to get the heck out of Dodge. grin.gif

But who knows? Each situation calls for a gut check and you go with your instinct and Spidey-sense.

Chris

I hate these kinds of events. I was in traffic school (for a ticket) about 15 years ago. As the instructor, an off duty CHP officer, was going through the different situation one might encounter on the road, someone asked “what about motorcycles?” to which without hesitation the most elder woman in the class (I would guess about 60) replied, “who do those people think they are anyway? When I see them coming down the freeway in rush hour traffic going between the cars like they don’t have to follow the rules, I cut them off!” Shocked the instructor replied “miss, motorcycles are allowed by law to do this… I would personally appreciate you not doing this for I split lanes all day during work, and if you hit me, you will go to jail…” She remained silent for the rest of the class, appearing to get the message.

These days you have to ride like you know nobody sees you, even other bikers (the middle-age first time riders) are starting to cause problems. I was hit (minor) by a touring peg from another bike as it passed me on Hwy 1 (same direction same lane) a few weeks ago. At the next rest stop the guy pulled off. When I rode up to him he immediately apologized before I could unload on him stating he was a new bike owner without much experience. I never thought in my 36 years of riding I could be taken-out by another biker…

...got on my bike, and wondered if it did any good...

Well done!

Mistakes and accidents happen...not good or fair but they happen.

Angering and pissing folks off rarely (if ever) changes behavior for the better.

Having the wherewithall to calmly deal with that situation might get those folks to pay more attention in the future. Doing anything else (e.g., nothing or blowing your top) would probably do less.

Just my opinion....humble, but fixed smirk.gif

Fortunately, as you said, "...all was right with the world."

Jovial Henry

Kathy, I have those discussions also.. Except, it is my daughter talking to me!!!! Around where I live I think the young drivers are more danger than the old ones. The old ones usually do things slowly.

I recently had a car pull out on me as I was crossing an intersection. I managed to swerve around the front of the car and kept going. I was still pumped when I pulled up to stop at the next light and could see the car coming up behind me in the same lane. I turned around in the saddle and just pointed (index finger mind you) at the driver. He imediately stopped his car (about 7 lenghts back) and wouldn't come any closer despite traffic backed up behind him.

I had a laugh at that reaction.

He imediately stopped his car (about 7 lenghts back) and wouldn't come any closer despite traffic backed up behind him.

Was your attire all black? It seems the sort of reaction you describe tends to occur when dressed in such a manner.... biggrin2.gif

Chris,

I'm glad that the situation was handled as calmly as it was. I would not have followed them, and I'm not doubting your actions, I'm just not sure that I would have been able to be constructive instead of over the top angry. Also, as it has been pointed, out you could find yourself in more jeopardy. I would encourage you not to make following drivers who endanger your life a habit. First of all you'd never get to where you're trying to go. smile.gif I'm glad you got home to Danica.

Regarding older family members still driving, this is one of the toughest thing you have to deal with. I went through it with my Dad and my Mom. I used humor a lot, but near the end of their lives it was not a funny situation. They endanged themselves and others. Thank God they did not one hurt anyone.

Kathy, I need to have that conversation with my uncle (My moms' sister's husband) He is 90 and still drives. Last year I visited them in Gary, Indiana and the most dangerous part of my trip was allowing unc to drive us to dinner. Of course I offered to drive multiple times and he turn me down each time. So if you're in Gary, and why would you be, look out for a dark blue buick. blush.gif

I sympathize with your feelings. I've had the same rage before but decided not to react to it while on a bike or car. You got away with it this time.

In the state where I live and in surrounding states (yours is one of them), concealed permits are easy to get and the law states that the feeling of being threatened justifies deadly force.

I sometimes have heat in my car and if someone approached me and starts some sh!t, I just might feel threatened. First thing I'd try to do is drive off. If I couldn't then I have another option as do many thousands of other people out there. Consider that you dodged TWO tragedies.... thumbsup.gif

That's a pragmatic viewpoint.

The local LEO people here strongly urge motorists to disengage from road rage quickly because if it leads to an incident, both parties get arrested.

For me, it was Sept 2004. It was the first ride after buying my 2002 RT. It was dark and there were 4 of us riding staggered, I was the lead bike. The road had street lights only at the intersections.

This teenage gal and 3 friends in the car came to a complete stop. She said she looked both ways then pulled out...... The ONLY thing I remember was looking at the hood of her car. For some reason that image is locked in my memory. I swearved, missing her front bumper by a few inches and my buddy behind me was draggin hard parts going around the back side of the car. The other two bikes had ample time to come to a safe stop.

The 4th bike had his front tire at the drivers door when he heard the guy in the back seat screaming at the driver for making such a bad move. My buddy figured enough was being said in the car and we rode a mile down the road to a gas station.

I got off my bike only to have my legs nearly give out from shock then leaned over and put my head on the seat and thanked God.

I sure did want to give that gal a piece of my mind but realized later that I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do that. I would have over reacted.

Chris, It's good that they are made aware of their mistakes so they don't soon forget.

I can be forgiving to people when they make an honest mistake but when they deliberately either try to hit me or impede my progress I get upset. The other day riding home from work I come upon two Honda sedans driving slowly up the 4 lane street I take home side by side. I come up on the one and signal my intent to move to the left and pass. The one in the left deliberately speeds up to keep me from doing so and this goes on for quite some time and makes every attempt to keep me from moving over just like they are some kind of NASCAR driver. Finally, I get an inch and thank god for some track riding I know I didn't need much and I got over. As soon as I got over I touched the brake just so the light would come on but not the brake and used the throttle to get out of dodge. I hope that this individuals underwear is permanently ruined. It is one thing to make an honest mistake but it is another thing to use your cage as a weapon against somebody.

Nothing wrong with expressing your views so reasonably. Sounds like it wasn't just the motorcycle the driver didn't see or comprehend though but other traffic as well. The other thing I have found myself realizing lately is that there have been times when I don't drive so well either! I think I'm pretty aware of motororcycles because I'm a rider but even I have had incidents where I "didn't see the motorcycle." This is not a world where it's us-always good drivers and them-always the bad drivers. I choose to ride motorcycles which are in fact less visible and less easily perceived in traffic by EVERYONE, including US. Hopefully I will also keep this in mind while interpreting what drivers around me are likely to do next.

Still, there are times.............

motorman587

FIDO, forget it drive on, that is what is taught at an AARP class.

What happened if this person would've pulled a gun, because you walked up to the car.

Do you think that your "bad day at work" contributed to you not "seeing" the vehicle making the left turn???

I would never think that walking up to car after a traffic incident is a good idea. Write down the tag number and call the traffic unit. Our department has an agressive driving unit. You call in the tag number a nice letter is sent.

Do you think that your "bad day at work" contributed to you not "seeing" the vehicle making the left turn???

Uh, no. As I said, this man and his passenger cut across three lanes of oncoming traffic, and I saw him pretty clearly given the three seconds he made that manuever in. ABS, thank you.

And to approaching him...

1. Old guy in a rental car.

2. Going to aiport

3. Probably not a gun on him

4. Any other situation, I would have backed off.

5. Feel better today as I just got back from the Hoot in Knoxville.

6. Nuff said.

Chris

Archived