IGNORED

Driveshaft Removal

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

I came across a YouTube video of a driveshaft replacement on one of the later R1200RS bikes. The driveshaft came out the back of the swingarm, like a GS Hexhead. One of the commenters stated that he did this procedure exactly the same way on his 2008 R1200RT (same bike I have), no swingarm removal required. Conventional wisdom around the Hexhead community is that this is not possible. My RepRom service manual calls for swingarm removal.

I'm disinclined to rely on the accuracy of such comments, but has anyone actually removed the driveshaft from the back end on their R1200RT? I've got a tire change coming up, and at 56,000 miles, I wouldn't mind having a good look.

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, aggieengineer said:

I came across a YouTube video of a driveshaft replacement on one of the later R1200RS bikes. The driveshaft came out the back of the swingarm, like a GS Hexhead. One of the commenters stated that he did this procedure exactly the same way on his 2008 R1200RT (same bike I have), no swingarm removal required. Conventional wisdom around the Hexhead community is that this is not possible. My RepRom service manual calls for swingarm removal.

I'm disinclined to rely on the accuracy of such comments, but has anyone actually removed the driveshaft from the back end on their R1200RT? I've got a tire change coming up, and at 56,000 miles, I wouldn't mind having a good look.

Morning aggieengineer

I have also heard of a few 1200RT's that will come out the rear but so far I haven't found one myself. Basically if the swing arm casting runs to the high side of specs then it might be possible to remove the shaft that way. 

The 1200 GS usually comes right out the rear as the tire cutout is slightly different.  

• Like 1
aggieengineer

Very interesting. I'll give it a try next time it's on the lift and report my findings. Thank you for the reply.

dirtrider
3 hours ago, aggieengineer said:

Very interesting. I'll give it a try next time it's on the lift and report my findings. Thank you for the reply.

Afternoon aggieengineer

You might want to re-think this, or at least have a back-up game plan.

If you pull the shaft loose from the transmission output shaft but it won't pull through the swing arm housing then it is a REAL PAIN to get it hooked back on the transmission output shaft. 

I usually snap the shaft on the transmission then slide the swing arm on over the shaft. 

• Like 1
aggieengineer
On 1/8/2024 at 2:36 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon aggieengineer

You might want to re-think this, or at least have a back-up game plan.

If you pull the shaft loose from the transmission output shaft but it won't pull through the swing arm housing then it is a REAL PAIN to get it hooked back on the transmission output shaft. 

I usually snap the shaft on the transmission then slide the swing arm on over the shaft. 

I took a look at the small space occupied by the forward boot and see what you mean. Re-think looks like good advice.

I just pulled the drive shaft out of my 07 with an 08 swing arm/final drive to inspect and grease the u-joint bearings. The drive shaft would NOT come out the back of the swing arm. 

I replaced the original DS at 120,000 miles with one rebuilt by Machine Service Inc. It has grease fittings in the u-joints and MSI recommends greasing every 500 hours or roughly 25,000 miles. Now at 145,000 miles the rebuild was inspected and found fit for return to operation.

• Like 1