IGNORED

MY motorcycle would not start

Prash

Hello,

I own an BMW S 1000 XR. Given the weather i have not been riding it that often and the battery died. I tried to charge it using my oxford optimate charger but nothing happened. This is a brand new battery i installed on the 18th of Dec. I then tried to use jump cables, i used one of the CAT jump starters from COSTCO. 

The bike did start but as i switched off the starter it stopped and now its refusing to start. The red flashing battery indicator comes on when the bike is connected but it would not start. I would be very grateful for any advice. 

Hosstage

For some reason it seems your battery has failed. The motorcycle will not run with a dead battery in the system once it has been started and the auxiliary power source removed.

The dead battery may be recovered, but doubtful, and I would not trust it if it did.

The reason it went dead needs to be found. Start with checking for a parasitic drain that pulled it down. A test of the battery, or better yet a probable warranty replacement would be in order.

81delorean

Sounds like a bad battery. See if there is a manufacture date on it somewhere. You'll be surprised how long a battery may sit somewhere before it's sold off. Might take it to a parts store and have them test it just to verify but it sure sounds like that's the issue. I assume cables are hooked up correctly and the charger was hooked up on the correct terminals when it was charging? kind of a no-brainer but it's been known to happen. 

Cheers Delorean, 

The battery was connected properly to the bike and to the oxford charger for charging. I ordered this one via Amazon from Tanya batteries, its a Yuasa battery. I am not sure how good this company is, my previous battery was a LiFePO4 battery from the same company that gave up in 18 months. I will return this battery and order a new one. 

Hosstage

Yuasa has always been recommended. I always like to charge my new batteries to full capacity before using a Battery Tender or equivalent.

Perhaps a different supplier is in order.

What is your maintenance/charging procedure between rides?

It is a Yuasa and i did charge it for 24 hours before using it for the first time. 

Skywagon

Before you return it, charge it up and do a couple of checks with a digital voltmeter. If it charges, then connect your meter to it while cranking and take a voltage read. Post back what you see

How were you charging it e.g. direct to battery, through aux port, pigtail wire?  What were the readings on your charger?

If per your post it won’t charge connected directly to charger it’s likely bad. 

szurszewski

18 months is a REALLY short life for a lithium battery (my gsa came to me with one in February 2020 - it was a used bike so I don't know how old, but that battery is still good). this does sound like your current battery is either bad or hooked up incorrectly. if you're sure it's hooked up correctly you have either been unlucky twice in a row or there's a problem in your charging system. 

• Like 1
Hosstage
19 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Yuasa has always been recommended. I always like to charge my new batteries to full capacity with a Battery Tender or equivalent, before first use.

Perhaps a different battery supplier is in order.

What is your maintenance/charging procedure between rides?

Some clarification.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I usually don’t charge my battery regularly. With the Li ion battery I had no problems till it packed up. If data tool app shows battery power is low I would charge it. 
My bike is serviced regularly so I doubt there is a problem there. I have been in touch with the battery supplier about the problem.

szurszewski
20 hours ago, Prash said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help. I usually don’t charge my battery regularly. With the Li ion battery I had no problems till it packed up. If data tool app shows battery power is low I would charge it. 
My bike is serviced regularly so I doubt there is a problem there. I have been in touch with the battery supplier about the problem.

my experience with lithium (limited) batteries is similar to my experience with agm deep cycle (less limited) batteries - they seem to skip the “marginal” phase and go right from working perfectly to not working at all. 

• Like 2