IGNORED

New Mexico, Colorado, Utah

Chip

Summary

Three of us left Houston around 1pm on Friday May 26, 2006 (Rick on his R1150RT, me on my R1100RT, and Perry on his Harley Road King, aka the “dump truck”). We got back on Sunday June 4th.

Highlights

Best – No fall downs, no break downs, and no embarrassing LEO encounters…whoo hooo!!!

Favorite road on this trip…too many to tell. I may have to re-ride them again to know for sure. grin.gif

Here are the roads I'd ride again

· Highway 4 in New Mexico (Bandelier National Monument)

· Highway 550 to Ouray (Million Dollar Highway)

· Highway 145 & Highway 191 to Moab

· Arches National Park

· Highway 128 along Colorado River

· Grand Mesa (Highway 65)

· Black Canyon (North rim on Highway 92)

· Highway 149 from Lake City to Creede

· Wolfcreek Pass

· Highway 104 to Tucumcari with Surprise

As the commercial might say

· 3,100 miles through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah – A bit over $200 for gas

· 9 days for food & lodging – Approximately $550

· Memories of the trip captured on digital cameras – a few MB of space on my hard drive and a CD

· Annual bonding with my buddies – The right trinkets for my girlfriend…nope, it ain’t priceless clap.gif

SummaryMemories of the trip captured on digital cameras – a few MB of space on my hard drive and a CD

...and the pictures will be posted??? wink.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

"· Highway 104 to Tucumcari with Surprise..."

Surprise?

Tell this story!

104 is one of my Fav roads.

Surprise?

Tell this story!

As you ride from Las Vegas, NM, the roads are straight and flat and the scenery is wide open and, you're at ~6,900 feet. Tucumcari is ~4,000 feet. Whoever was in charge of dropping the elevation by ~2,900 feet didn't do it gradually... grin.gif

There's really nothing like riding along at 80mph along a straight, flat road and suddenly seeing one of those road signs with a squiggley arrow and a 35mph speed limit clap.gif

Attached is a pic of Arches Park...with a few bikes of course.

Just exactly how do I include the pic with my response so I can include captions?

698443-ArchesParktoweb.gif.e9c9cf6bab42c20bc903dca2bd501442.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Attached is a pic of Arches Park...with a few bikes of course.

Just exactly how do I include the pic with my response so I can include captions?

You might try and search in the Support Forum for suggestions on posting images. The other thing to do is look at the FAQ or click HERE.
Yeeha! Stephen

Surprise?

Tell this story!

As you ride from Las Vegas, NM, the roads are straight and flat and the scenery is wide open and, you're at ~6,900 feet. Tucumcari is ~4,000 feet. Whoever was in charge of dropping the elevation by ~2,900 feet didn't do it gradually... grin.gif

There's really nothing like riding along at 80mph along a straight, flat road and suddenly seeing one of those road signs with a squiggley arrow and a 35mph speed limit clap.gif

Yes!

Know the feeling well...

698732-05Taos3.jpg

698732-05Taos3.jpg.25ead618558d80b9084490dc494ce1fc.jpg

Shawnee Bill

Surprise?

Tell this story!

Not exactly a hijack, I like 104 also, but last time through I tried Hwy 39 from Logan to Roy and then 120 to Wagon Mound and on to Ocate, then 442 to LaCueva. Similar ride except two "surprises", you get that same plateau drop off, and also get to ride in and out of the Canadian River canyon.

But I didn't get to ride through Las Vegas, didn't miss that at all.

Trivia, the guy at KFC in Tucumcari told me it’s Hwy 104 because it’s 104 miles from there to Las Vegas. Somehow I’m slightly skeptical of that? Sounds good though.

...Trivia, the guy at KFC in Tucumcari told me it’s Hwy 104 because it’s 104 miles from there to Las Vegas. Somehow I’m slightly skeptical of that? ...

104 miles sounds about right. It did take us about an hour. thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

Surprise?

Tell this story!

Not exactly a hijack, I like 104 also, but last time through I tried Hwy 39 from Logan to Roy and then 120 to Wagon Mound and on to Ocate, then 442 to LaCueva. Similar ride except two "surprises", you get that same plateau drop off, and also get to ride in and out of the Canadian River canyon.

But I didn't get to ride through Las Vegas, didn't miss that at all.

Trivia, the guy at KFC in Tucumcari told me it’s Hwy 104 because it’s 104 miles from there to Las Vegas. Somehow I’m slightly skeptical of that? Sounds good though.

Bill,

One of my local riding Buds has been pushing me HARD to go that way next time. So, I guess I can't go wrong with 2 recommendations eh?

I'm usually overnighting in Tucumcari so I can have the morning sun at my back when heading up range, and your/his way has just felt like back-tracking.

Live and learn... specially for me. I've got a Lot to learn about riding this beautiful country! thumbsup.gif

Shawnee Bill
Bill,

One of my local riding Buds has been pushing me HARD to go that way next time. So, I guess I can't go wrong with 2 recommendations eh?

I'm usually overnighting in Tucumcari so I can have the morning sun at my back when heading up range, and your/his way has just felt like back-tracking.

Live and learn... specially for me. I've got a Lot to learn about riding this beautiful country! thumbsup.gif

Take the 392 cutoff just west of the NM Welcome rest stop, you'll get a sudden lonesome feeling the first hill from I-40.

If you camp there is Ute state park in Logan, lots of good camping, nice shower house there.

Or I find three motels there, as I remember they looked fine from the road cool.gif

Link here to motels info.

Hwy 120 is good pavement to Ocate and then it is a gravel road over the hill from Ocate to Black Lake and Angel Fire, the lady running the Post Office told me it wasn't too bad but I didn't try it because I was riding by myself. Next time thumbsup.gif

One of my local riding Buds has been pushing me HARD to go that way next time

I wouldn't go way out of my way to try it. It takes a whole lot of nothing to get to that one nice little climb. I prefer cutting across from Santa Rosa to Las Vegas if I'm going up that way.

Shawnee Bill
One of my local riding Buds has been pushing me HARD to go that way next time

I wouldn't go way out of my way to try it. It takes a whole lot of nothing to get to that one nice little climb. I prefer cutting across from Santa Rosa to Las Vegas if I'm going up that way.

Ahh, but isn't there a rule about taking the same road twice?

Next time try another 25 miles west, take Hwy 3 through Villanueva, sudden drop off on that road also.

Archived