IGNORED

2002 R1150R controls swap

775R1150R

775R1150R

I just inherited a 2002 R1150R. It's a great bike. 50K miles on it. The first thing I noticed on it were the controls are horrible. The turn signals, and the blinker off positioning, The ignition, The horn, I hate them all.

Coming from an 08'  Honda VTX 1800, I'm used to all the controls being on the left side of the bike. This r1150r, it feels almost dangerous when trying to use the controls while driving.

I'd like to replace the controls with something that will allow me to operate everything using my left hand. The right should be throttle only, and starting/stopping the bike. Has this ever been done before? Maybe a drop in kit?? (I hope!)

Thanks!

dirtrider
40 minutes ago, 775R1150R said:

I just inherited a 2002 R1150R. It's a great bike. 50K miles on it. The first thing I noticed on it were the controls are horrible. The turn signals, and the blinker off positioning, The ignition, The horn, I hate them all.

Coming from an 08'  Honda VTX 1800, I'm used to all the controls being on the left side of the bike. This r1150r, it feels almost dangerous when trying to use the controls while driving.

I'd like to replace the controls with something that will allow me to operate everything using my left hand. The right should be throttle only, and starting/stopping the bike. Has this ever been done before? Maybe a drop in kit?? (I hope!)

Thanks!

Afternoon 775R1150R

No drop in kit, changing the control functions is not impossible but would be very difficult to do without a major cobbled together change.

Before doing anything drastic just give it a chance,  once you get used to the controls you will probably warm up to it. Most 1150 riders liked the BMW controls.

The BMW 1150 has an electronic turn signal relay (expensive)  that has a dedicated switching input 

A lot of old BMW riders just hated it when BMW changed the controls on the later motorcycles. 

King Herald

I felt much the same when I first rode my 1100r, and also did research to fit some ergonomically excellent Japanese controls, but, it never happened and I got used to the BM button system and find it excellent and easy now. 

First year or so of ownership I did beep the horn a few times at innocent motorists, mistakenly thinking I was cancelling turn signals, but that eventually stopped. 

duckbubbles

Two of my three bikes have the three button type of turn signals.  Swapping between them can cause momentary lapses.  I say either adapt to the system or part ways with the bike if you hate it that much.

Frank

• Plus 1 1
szurszewski

Or you could go with the stereotype of BMW car drivers and just stop using turn signals... 

OOH - or you could just do hand signals for turns (left hand, so perfect!).

Best part of both options is free and easy ;)

• Haha 1