IGNORED

any Ford diesel owners on here? Looking at a Ford diesel

I am looking at picking up a Ford Diesel, these are my current options:

1.  a 2004 F250 6.0L pre DEF.  Basically needs a new engine, and I have a very well-regarded local shop that will put in a bullet proof 6.0.  Cost of truck 4,500.00, install a remanufactured bullet proof 6.0 and go another 300K easily.

2.  2011 F350 6.7  265K miles completely stock, never been bullet proofed, owner says it runs great, but modern-day common rail diesels are good for about 300-350K miles, so assumption is it will soon need a long block bullet proof engine install.  Initial cost 9,800.00

3.2013 F350 6.7  86K this is a government vehicle sold at auction truck, with LOTS of standard maintenance records.  Starts and runs awesome, not a puff of smoke on start up, runs quite etc.  2 issues, it was not bullet proofed, and is it too late to do so, and two as it is a government auction vehicle, with only 86K miles my concern is maybe lots of idle time.  I am thinking it will need EGR, and EGT sensor at a minimum.  plus overall bullet proofing.  Cosmetically it is a 1 on a scale of 5-10 :-)  But I have good resources for that issue. Mechanically it seem perfect.  initial cost is 12,750.00

Any experienced Ford owners have any comments?

realshelby

After being in sales of Ford Diesels, then owning diesel pickups and RV's, I would say all the diesel pickups are going to be problematic to a point I would have to justify pulling a very heavy load often to put up with a diesel. 
"Bullet Proofing" may be a thing of the past. With the Cummins 1.6 billion dollar fines, ebays fines over emission defeat devices, and many other examples there I think there will be a LOT of diesel trucks  that may not pass inspection sooner than later. 

I think the cost of installing an engine might mean it makes the truck more expensive than it is worth on the market. By a lot. 

There is likely a screen on the dash menu that tells how many hours the engine has on it ( in the case of the Government truck).

I hope any of these diesels "last" far longer than 350K miles....but the problem is the add-ons such as the emissions components. They can be expensive. Don't forget, ANY major engine work on the Ford diesel means you pull the cab off the frame to access the engine. 

Last year I traded off my diesel RV for a new Ford 7.3 gas engine Class A. Weighs right at 28,000 lbs with toad behind. Pulls hills better than the diesel RV, which was heavier. But still I have something I can work on, not worry about "derating" on trips. It also costs less in fuel per mile than the diesel did. So, depending on what you are using the truck for, this engine would be my choice over a diesel even if I were pulling a fifth wheel again. 

• Like 1
Rougarou

Wife had a new 2002 7.3 powerstroke that we'd use to pull the toyhauler with Jeep inside, roughly 12k lbs.  Got rid of the toyhauler and then ended up getting rid of my last Jeep, so no longer needed a tow rig.

Terry is correct, unless yanking alotta weight on the regular, a diesel aint'a gonna be worth it. 

When we got the wife's truck, diesel was $0.20-0.30 cheaper than regular fuel, now it's like $1.00 more than regular.  Along with the 15 +/- quarts for oil changes, DEF on modern rigs, all additional costs that a gasser doesn't require.  

We never had any issues outta the wife's powerstroke and would love to have kept it, but we really couldn't justify maintaining/keeping it,......we just didn't need that much truck anymore.  She's gone through several vehicles since selling it and is now happy with her 2018 Sierra with the 6.2L

• Like 1
Skywagon
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

2018 Sierra with the 6.2L

460lb ft torque and 420 horse...this engine is a beast.  I had one on my last Tahoe.  Never a lick of trouble.

• Smile 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

460lb ft torque and 420 horse...this is engine is a beast.  I had on my last Tahoe.  Never a lick of trouble.

And with the wife driving, she gets 21-22 mpg:).  Throw a  8k load on the back and it'll drop to 8-10mpg:(

7 hours ago, realshelby said:

the problem is the add-ons such as the emissions components. They can be expensive

And when one emissions part breaks then the whole she-bang goes into limp mode and is worthless until the dealer can get the part that is on backorder....DAMHIK

Etienne Lau

I may not have owned a Ford Diesel. But as a previous diesel owner from another brand. I personally would not buy anything post 2007 due to the DPF, etc...emissions hardware that was added....It ain't worth the trouble in my book. If I was going to purchase another diesel from any brand, that is what I would be looking for.

• Plus 1 1
roadscholar

True, DEF seems to add a lot of problems although I haven't had anything with it. In most cases unless you're towing something regularly you're probably better off with a gas engine in a truck. I’ve got an 08 ML320cdi (pre def) rated to tow about 7500 lbs, it gets around 23mpg solo and l6-l7 towing  6-7k lbs. the 03 tahoe with a 5.3 gas (same tow capacity) gets around 17 solo and 12 towing. the difference in fuel prices just about offset. Nice thing is both have stopped depreciating and are worth about what I paid for them years ago. But when you’re shlepping old German iron around it’s just cooler to have a little newer German iron on the job : )

E64C6F85-27AA-4845-9154-9251D52D7389.thumb.jpeg.1366bbc6fbc668698db196c0ccf021e7.jpeg

C71C1839-2FBF-4FE7-B007-787741E9C78B.thumb.jpeg.0ad50994e9c898f18c4da343e32d0454.jpeg

5A55F6ED-C157-48AE-A8C8-78AE2467BEED.thumb.jpeg.236cd6e4e09d8e07c6d6a5bdede2fb09.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
Skywagon

I'll share my personal experiences.  I've owned GM vehicles since 1980...from the 307 v8 dog, to 6.2 to my current and previous 5.3.  My last two vehicles are Tahoe 2WD. One was 6.2 and the  current one is 5.3. Prior to that was a Surburban 3/4 Ton 4x4 with 7.4 454 V8 and heavy duty everything they made.  I've never had to have engine work done.  I typically run to 90,000 then trade, but ran the Suburban to 195,000. 

My 5.3 Tahoe gets about 23-25 on the highway at 70-75 mph.  If I am pulling my boat, which I do often the mileage at the same speed drops to about 12mpg.  It does not lack for power pulling the 5000lb boat.  It struggles some with the 11,000lb boat.....as in slow to accelerate.

My prior Tahoe with a 6.2 was similar to Roug's experience.  It would get about 21 on the highway and about 15 in town.  Tie the boat (s) on and mileage dropped to 11-12.  When I had the Suburban with a 454, it got 12 miles to the gallon no matter what you did.  I don't think you could pour fuel through it any faster so that is what it got.  It was truly a beast.  In 4wd low it would go anywhere you cared to go....at maybe 8mph.

I can't see a diesel anything in my future even if they go 350k trouble free miles. I don't want to own anything for that many miles.  I don't want to pay $1.00 plus for fuel or mess with DEFF.  I have no desire to put 350K on a vehicle as there are other things that will be seriously worn out e.g. interior, paint, suspension, compressor, heater core, etc.

11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

even if they go 350k trouble free miles.

They won't with all the greenie smog crap on them......:java:

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so IF not diesel, and i am ok with that, and NO for now not pulling anything above 12K fifth wheel

what GAS engine is the desired engine.  Say 2014-2018 2500 or 3500 SRW

Ram 6.4
Ford  6.2

GMC 6.0

Dodge has the coolest interior toys for that year range.  GMC prolly has the highest resale.  Ford,......is Ford. 

18 hours ago, randy said:

GMC 6.0

My preference but the main thing with ALL of them is to disable the "variable displacement" cylinder de-activation BS. It kills engines. First thing I did on the Chevrolet p/u and later on the current Ridgeline. Fuel mileage actually went up on the highway and smooth drivability returned with the Honda. I also turn off the idle start/stop "feature".

BTW.... acres of Dodge units with flat cams from cylinder deactivation sitting, waiting for repairs at used car lots.

2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

My preference but the main thing with ALL of them is to disable the "variable displacement" cylinder de-activation BS. It kills engines. First thing I did on the Chevrolet p/u and later on the current Ridgeline. Fuel mileage actually went up on the highway and smooth drivability returned with the Honda. I also turn off the idle start/stop "feature".

BTW.... acres of Dodge units with flat cams from cylinder deactivation sitting, waiting for repairs at used car lots.

Ford does not have displacement on demand (DOD) on the 6.2 or the newer Godzilla 7.4 truck engines.  Pretty sure the 6.4 in the Ram 2500 or 3500 don't have it either.  DOD is defiantly problematic, was one of the reasons I didn't order the 5.0 in my 2021 F150 as this was the first year that Ford used in in the Coyote engine.

BerettaRacer

Me at work a few yrs ago, installing a pair of Twin Turbo V12 MTU 4000 Series.

Don't think they'll fit in a Ford, LOL

Work.jpg.6797fc787627e6ee35db1530fc694e5d.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Me at work a few yrs ago, installing a pair of Twin Turbo V12 MTU 4000 Series.

Don't think they'll fit in a Ford, LOL

Work.jpg.6797fc787627e6ee35db1530fc694e5d.jpg

I think we could trike that thing!

trike-1-300x214.jpg.2cbe9800e04bbb70fe3d0b87d4a51847.jpg

BerettaRacer
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I think we could trike that thing!

trike-1-300x214.jpg.2cbe9800e04bbb70fe3d0b87d4a51847.jpg

Might need beefier springs and shocks, oh, and a bigger fuel tank, lol.

• Smile 1