IGNORED

Not a happy new year for Japanese...earthquake

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Wow!  Thanks for sharing John....

Was I nodding off or did I see a wx forecast for SNOW in AL?

"flurries"    They call them flurries.   :burnout:

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Watch here... (click on video for streaming TV)

image.thumb.png.89c45bd56312eb5f1f309cb0f4263071.png

This is one of the biggest to hit since the 9.1 that wrecked northeast Japan in 2011, but it was only a 7.6.  So far there have been four fatalities and a fair bit of damage, including some tsunamis that overtopped seawalls, relatively minor in their quake history.  

Officials are getting worried about the Nankai fault that runs along Japan's southern coast.  It's been 170 years since a rupture on that fault, and they're expecting a big one any day now.   It's submarine and of the right movement type for creating tsunamis; when it happens, it'll be really bad because the bulk of Japan's population is concentrated on its southern coast.  

image.thumb.png.e5f7a585ada2f22e13f4ea6c0af99da3.png

The northeasternmost part of the megathrust, segment E, has not ruptured since 1854. A future great earthquake involving rupture along this and possibly other segments has been proposed as a major risk for the southern coast of Honshu.  In 1999, the likelihood of the occurrence of a great earthquake in the Tokai area in the 2000-2010 period was estimated to be in the range of 0.35–0.45.  Despite the uncertainty of when such an earthquake will occur, local authorities are already taking action to prepare residents for what they regard as an inevitability.

The tornadoes and ice storms here in Michigan don't seem so bad...

• Like 1
BamaJohn
4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Was I nodding off or did I see a wx forecast for SNOW in AL?

Normally, there exists a time warp about 75 miles north of B'ham which blocks snow farther south...but, once in a while, the time warp sleeps and we get a "dusting".  No worries though, I have plenty of firewood and am fighting the flu, so indoors is my friend right now.  :4617: 

• Sad 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Well, between yesterday's earthquake and today's crazy flaming runway collision at Haneda airport in Tokyo, Japan's new year is not off to a good start:

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/japan-earthquake-plane-fire-news-01-02-24/index.html

Happily, everybody on the Airbus A350 (almost 400 people) got out alive.  Sadly, five of the six people on the Japan Coast Guard plane it collided with did not.  

That, and the quake's death toll has now risen to 51, making it the worst loss of life since the 2011 Tohoku quake.  

Somewhere offstage, Godzilla is waiting for his cue...

Yowzer.  I saw video of the collision on the news.  400+ passengers evacuated the flaming plane in 90 seconds.  I told the missus, that'd never happen in the US.  Japanese pay attention and follow directions.  Mericans gotta whine, complain, and get their carry on before deplaning.  This was a worst/best case scenario.  So glad it ended as well as it did.

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Red said:

Yowzer.  I saw video of the collision on the news.  400+ passengers evacuated the flaming plane in 90 seconds.  I told the missus, that'd never happen in the US.  Japanese pay attention and follow directions.  Mericans gotta whine, complain, and get their carry on before deplaning.  This was a worst/best case scenario.  So glad it ended as well as it did.

Here's ~400 people not panicking, staying in their seats and waiting - despite the giant fire right outside their window - while the cabin crew figure out which doors they can safely open for evacuation and instruct people not to take their luggage with them during the upcoming evacuation:

• Thanks 1