IGNORED

Speaking of turkeys...

BamaJohn

Two-three years ago @Rockosmith & I were heading north on TN 68 closing in on Tellico Plains.  We rounded an uphill curve when we saw the turkey.  

But this turkey was ON A RIDING LAWNMOWER IN THE ROAD, BLOWING HIS CLIPPINGS AROUND!!!!

Thankfully, we were able to miss what might have been a catastrophe at much more speed.

Ride Safe, my Friends!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Could be feral turkeys.  They get habituated to hue mons.  I had a neighbor with turkeys.  One day he just decided he was done and quit feeding them.  They'd come over to my place foraging and roosting.  Lasted a couple of years.  Probably all predated by the many beasties who think turkey is paw/talon licking good.

HAD to be feral.  It was hand raised from a chick or egg, maybe a Easter present to some kid(s) several years back.  The partly white bird is a domesticated turkey gone back, same situation. 

Wild turkeys are some of the wiliest critters we have in the SE, up there with the grey fox and bobcat.  Their eyesight is extremely sharp.  They will immediately see you dressed in full camo, in the woods, thru the bushes, holding perfectly still.  They are hard to kill, too.  12 ga shotgun, long barrel, extra tight choke, #6 shot in a hi brass express magnum shells, and optics. (hold on tight).

I'd take this guy's experience ANY DAY over shooting one.  GREAT vid!!

Ben Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey our national bird, instead of a carrion eater.

• Like 2

After listening the audio from the beginning (I missed half of it originally, don't remember why), he clearly says "his" "chocolate brown hen" and her friend the royal palm hen.  He raised her.  That makes more sense.

It's not a bad strategy for deer hunting, to have pet turkeys around.  Maybe not in your lap while bow hunting.  Turkeys are a "look-out" for many other critters including deer.  If nearby turkeys are calm and browsing, the deer will be calm too.  Kinda like squirrels.  Don't pissoff the tree rats, you won't see anything for hours if they start barking.

If I was him, I'd take a sack of dried, maybe parched, peanuts and throw a few on the ground for the turkeys a little ways off and off to the side from where you expect the deer to come.  Check the wind.  The turks will be scratching and happily cackling til the goobers run out. Then scatter a few more.  Squirrels like 'em too.  Me, too. 

• Like 1