should I use premium

and should Roug be allowed to wire up his house

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 4
14 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I promise:

:rofl:

Jeeezzzz, what,  you want to remove half of the content of the site ?????

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3

Didn’t say I wouldn’t read them, just saying I won’t start them. Resolution will probably hold until about Friday. I’m riding in colder weather this week and you know that air thing…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Many, many years ago, I resolved not to make any more New Year's Resolutions.   So far......so good.

You also forgot about the safety factor mentioned after Rougarou posts photos of his ladder set-up.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/31/2023 at 11:09 AM, wbw6cos said:

the safety factor mentioned after Rougarou posts photos of his ladder set-up.

My buddy Rob is a strong competitor re: pushing the safety factor..

65325214305__582701AA-3261-4300-AE70-B88DE044690B.jpeg

• Haha 1
Rougarou

Safety is soooooo overrated!!!  Rob looks perfectly stable on that.

Mighta mentioned this story before.  On the USS Saratoga, the Marines would be the ones to raise and lower the flag while in port.  Our detachment thought it nice to do this in full blues, every time and always in pairs.  This particular day was my day and it happened to be a very, very windy day.  Now the flag pole on the Sara angled off the back of the flight deck,....like over the water angled and about a 60ish foot drop.  With that windy day, the two of us march up to the flag pole at five minutes to colors, unwind the lanyard and give it a little tug to see if the flag would even come down,.....nope, not budging.  So, colors is sounded, we be yanking and nothing doing, the flag is staying up.  So I look to my guy and ask if he's gonna climb the pole, "no way",.....so, here I go, full freakin' blues climbing a damn flag pole over the nasty Mayport water hoping I don't do a slip and drop into the drink.  I unwind it and slide down the pole,........no safety net, no safety rope, just pure stooopidity.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
MT Wallet

My New Year's resolution is to get fatter, exercise less and conserve energy. I set goals I can accomplish.:3:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Our detachment thought it nice to do this in full blues,

Did you destroy the uniform? I’d guess they were about a month’s worth of pay?  :dontknow:

Rougarou

Wife bought me a shirt a couple of years ago

il_1140xN.1507274737_e026.thumb.webp.5f4f26ea9ca8010d4803aaec35e08cbe.webp

I can damn near recite the movie

• Like 5
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
Rougarou
12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Did you destroy the uniform? I’d guess they were about a month’s worth of pay?  :dontknow:

Nope, it survived fine and yes, they are expensive.  But getting assigned to special billets, such as that was, the uniform is issued to you at no cost due to it being a requirement for ceremonial type events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta

Fewer than 5 people at the gym this AM. Absentees' New Year's shared resolution is, "Why bother?"

Skywagon

Today is trash day….. we did a refrigerator and junk food cleanse this morning. Everything that we know we shouldn’t eat went out this morning. I nearly cried throwing out 1/2 of a chocolate cream pie

John Ranalletta
4 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Today is trash day….. we did a refrigerator and junk food cleanse this morning. Everything that we know we shouldn’t eat went out this morning. I nearly cried throwing out 1/2 of a chocolate cream pie

Did you "throw" it away or lay it gently in the bin to be rescued later when you've come to your senses?

• Haha 3
Skywagon

Chunk suey and the trash folks have already come. No turning back now. 

I wonder if that pizza place is open for lunch today. They have great cannoli…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

They have great cannoli…

The only thing better than a great cannoli is a “free” great cannoli! :yes: We have a new bakery in town and I stopped in a few weeks ago to grab a cannoli. They weren’t that busy but there was one of those people in front of me. “Oh I’ll have one of those…Oh wait no no, two” and whatever else she was getting. Seemed like that went on for ten minutes before I was finally asked what I needed. “One cannoli” please. She smiled and said that’s it, you’re all set. :classic_biggrin:

John Ranalletta
13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The only thing better than a great cannoli is a “free” great cannoli! :yes: We have a new bakery in town and I stopped in a few weeks ago to grab a cannoli. They weren’t that busy but there was one of those people in front of me. “Oh I’ll have one of those…Oh wait no no, two” and whatever else she was getting. Seemed like that went on for ten minutes before I was finally asked what I needed. “One cannoli” please. She smiled and said that’s it, you’re all set. :classic_biggrin:

Pet peaves: people who dig through their wallets for exact change; people who chit chat in the walkup order line and wait to puzzle over their meal choice until they get to the front of the line; and people who are glued to their phones and don't look at the menu until asked for their order by a server.

New Year's resolution?  Give some people a good slap!

• Haha 3
Skywagon
5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

don't look at the menu until asked for their order

John… that just happened to us. We were in a fairly long stand up line to order. It probably took 10-15 minutes to get to the front of the line. The menu board is huge. You can see it a block away and they have the board on two different walls. You can’t miss it. This place only has about 10 items on the board

There was a guy about the size of a 52 Buick in front of us. He first says can I see a menu. The lady points above his head…. Then he says what do you recommend; followed by is this good?

I wish you had been there to slap him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Rob looks perfectly stable on that.

He actually was and got that part of an old deck stairway removed with no issues.........everyone that sees the picture hasn't agreed with your assessment though!:rofl:

Rougarou
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Pet peaves: people who dig through their wallets for exact change; people who chit chat in the walkup order line and wait to puzzle over their meal choice until they get to the front of the line; and people who are glued to their phones and don't look at the menu until asked for their order by a server.

New Year's resolution?  Give some people a good slap!

Don't get behind my wife in a line.  

Even going to a McDonald's where the menu doesn't really change, she takes forever to make up her mind on that.  I'm like, "It's mcdonalds, dontcha know what you want from it when you pull in?!?!?!!?"  AND, she'll get exact change if she has an abundance of coins.

MT Wallet
45 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Don't get behind my wife in a line.  

Even going to a McDonald's where the menu doesn't really change, she takes forever to make up her mind on that.  I'm like, "It's mcdonalds, dontcha know what you want from it when you pull in?!?!?!!?"  AND, she'll get exact change if she has an abundance of coins.

Mines the same way-Arby's I understand but McD's?

John Ranalletta

Prior to dining out, I most always visit the restaurant's web menu to save time.  I'll only need to know the specials, if any.  

Last time out, the server asked a guy at the next table for his order.  The customer said, "Surprise me."  The server said, "I'm sleeping with your wife!"  (Courtesy, Rodney Dangerfield) 

• Haha 4
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

...and people who are glued to their phones and don't look at the menu until asked for their order by a server.

There's a 70-year-old burger joint here in Ann Arbor (their motto: "cheaper than food") that I eat at whenever I donate blood (keeps me from eating there too often).  When you walk in you better pay attention and tell the cook, at the right times, what you want.  Want something from the fryer?  Say that first.  Then it's how many patties, what kinda bun, and anything griddle-fried (bacon, onions, mushrooms) .  Toward the end of the cooking, you tell him what kinda cheese to slap on those patties.  Then it's what condiments you want on the bun.  If you're indecisive or not paying attention, you really slow down the flow. 

The first rule is that if they catch you on your cell phone while you're in line, you get kicked out.  I've seen it happen.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
Rougarou
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Prior to dining out, I most always visit the restaurant's web menu to save time.  I'll only need to know the specials, if any.  

Last time out, the server asked a guy at the next table for his order.  The customer said, "Surprise me."  The server said, "I'm sleeping with your wife!"  (Courtesy, Rodney Dangerfield) 

Say where we're going, I'll know what I want before we get there if we've frequented the place before.  Most menu's don't change, so, my choices are easy.  If it's somewhere I've not been before, only takes seconds, yep, seconds to peruse the menu.  Generally, a word/phrase or picture (if the menu has those) will pop outta the menu and hit me. 

My manager took our group out to a place before Christmas and it was a place I've not been before.  Waiter gave menu,.....I immediately see Lamb, and ordered that, no need to read further.  Some words just pop out atcha.

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
16 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

There's a 70-year-old burger joint here in Ann Arbor (their motto: "cheaper than food") that I eat at whenever I donate blood (keeps me from eating there too often).  When you walk in you better pay attention and tell the cook, at the right times, what you want.  Want something from the fryer?  Say that first.  Then it's how many patties, what kinda bun, and anything griddle-fried (bacon, onions, mushrooms) .  Toward the end of the cooking, you tell him what kinda cheese to slap on those patties.  Then it's what condiments you want on the bun.  If you're indecisive or not paying attention, you really slow down the flow. 

The first rule is that if they catch you on your cell phone while you're in line, you get kicked out.  I've seen it happen.

The Blimpy Burger experience:

• Like 2
roadscholar

The Varsity drive-in in Atlanta is a trip. A buddy took me there years ago, you better know what you want when it's your turn.

Here’s an oldie when SNL was good.

• Smile 1
Hosstage

Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis, tiny little place, 14 stools, very popular.

If there is a line, you cannot save a spot waiting on a friend, go to the end of the line. Don't hold the door open in winter, it's cold! Waitress might bark a bit for some reason, don't take it personally. While eating, Al may come by with extra hash browns, a pancake, etc., asking if you'd like some. There is a reason it is popular, the food is very good, very fast, the service great.

But, once you are done eating, GET OUT! No chit chat, you gotta go, people are waiting. You will be shuffled out.

RandyShields
On 1/1/2024 at 8:36 PM, Rougarou said:

I can damn near recite the movie

I challenge you.  My wife yells at me every time we watch it as I repeat it line by line.

Rougarou
36 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I challenge you.  My wife yells at me every time we watch it as I repeat it line by line.

Yep.

When we met some folks in our old neighborhood, we got to talking about movies,....these folks aren't movie people.  Anyway, My Cousin Vinny came up and they had never seen it before.  I was flabbergasted.  I started the script and various lines when my wife chimes in "are you gonna act out the whole movie",.....I hadda stop. 

• Like 1
Rougarou
Just now, RandyShields said:

It's hard. Love the dialogue.

Movie was written by lawyers and is used in law schools in how courtrooms work

RandyShields
9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Movie was written by lawyers and is used in law schools in how courtrooms work.

Partially correct.  It was written by a screenwriter, Dale Launer, who got the inspiration for it from a friend trying to pass the bar exam again.  The legal and courtroom scenes were vetted with experienced lawyers, though, to make sure they got it right.  And the movie is referenced in legal textbooks (generally evidence and procedure), and by professors as an example of how things may work in a real courtroom.  

Interestingly, Dale Launer also wrote Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, another one of my favorites.

Rougarou
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Partially correct.  It was written by a screenwriter, Dale Launer, who got the inspiration for it from a friend trying to pass the bar exam again.  The legal and courtroom scenes were vetted with experienced lawyers, though, to make sure they got it right.  And the movie is referenced in legal textbooks (generally evidence and procedure), and by professors as an example of how things may work in a real courtroom.  

Interestingly, Dale Launer also wrote Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, another one of my favorites.

Ok, I's close.

And Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a great movie

• Like 1