IGNORED

Help needed finding an R1200RT

KIGX

My first post.  I'm 72 yo and thinking of getting back to riding.  Started riding at 16, Honda S90, then 1967 Honda CB450SS (still have it but it hasn't run for 20 years), then BMW R90/6 with a 90S fairing, finally 1987 K100LT that I rode for 11 years or so and wish I never sold.  Probably have 30,000 miles or more riding.  Still mostly physically and mentally fit and have a desire for the open road again although perhaps also understandably a bit leery of it too...

Been thinking I'd like an R1200RT based on cost, 'simplicity', handling, loved my R90/6.  Maybe an R1250RT but don't really need the extra power and things that could go wrong.  I want the ABS which seems to be standard.  It always annoyed me that my 87 K100LT didn't have ABS which was offered in the 88 model year.

Questions:

1) Do all the ABS systems have linked brakes where applying the front brake automatically applies the rear even though you don't touch the rear brake?

2) Do all the bikes come with TCS?  Traction control?

3) Do all the bikes come with ASC?  Automatic stability control where the lean angle of the bike has an affect on the ABS system?

I read dealer ads and they frequently give generic descriptions of the bike without giving specific details of the 'options' that that bike actually has.  How do you know what the bike has?

Thanks

Bob

Welcome to the board and welcome back to riding.   Nice back story.

You may see if you can obtain the VIN to get some idea on what is on that particular model, out of the factory.  Whether certain things have been changed on that bike should be determined by inspecting it in person.    Good luck with your search.

https://www.mdecoder.com/

What year of R1200RT?  Camhead?  Wethead?  Makes a difference on what technology it will have.  Wetheads, 2013 to 2018 will have similar technology to the R1250RTs

3 hours ago, TSConver said:

Wetheads, 2013 2014 to 2018 will have similar technology to the R1250RTs

Fixed it for you. GS's became wet in 2013, RT's in 2014....

• Like 2

I deliberately downsized to a 2017 R1200RT (625 lbs fully loaded,) from a nearly 900 lbs HD Road Glide because I too just hit my 70's. I have nothing to criticize about this motorcycle (high praise as I also own a K1600b,) except to point out the high seat relative to the ground. I find that my 34" inseam (6'2",) makes reaching the ground easy for me. I do the maintenance on both bikes and aside from the initial cost of the specialty tools required for cam timing (which more than paid for themselves the very first service,) the maintenance is straightforward with a ton of Brad's (Boxflyer,) here on the forum excellent videos to guide you through it all.

I paid $14,000 Sept '22 for a clean 6,000 mile example with new tires, top box and oil/filter service.

Good luck in your search.

ETA Yes to Linked brakes (love it,) TC and ABS/ABS Pro (cornering) and 2 (or optional 3,) "Ride Modes."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

Fixed it for you. GS's became wet in 2013, RT's in 2014....

Hmm, you forgot to tell him that you think the Camheads are the greatest BMW ever made, as you usually do.  🙃😁🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

@wbw6cos  Thanks, I had the VINs so looked them up.  Big differences between the two I was looking at...

@TSConver  Looking at wetheads: balancing cost, miles, tech available.  The later the better.  Try to keep mileage less than 30,000.  Spend around $14,000 depending on mileage and tech.

@Stiggy  I'm 6 foot, 34inch inseam, 190 lbs.  I do all my own maintenance as well, just need to get the tools, etc.  I've seen @Boxflyer videos, etc, would like to get the tools.  Need the bike first.  I'd be surprised if I put more than a few thousand miles a year on it though.  Just want to tootle around the back roads.

Thanks for all the input !!

7 hours ago, KIGX said:

@wbw6cos  Thanks, I had the VINs so looked them up.  Big differences between the two I was looking at...

@TSConver  Looking at wetheads: balancing cost, miles, tech available.  The later the better.  Try to keep mileage less than 30,000.  Spend around $14,000 depending on mileage and tech.

@Stiggy  I'm 6 foot, 34inch inseam, 190 lbs.  I do all my own maintenance as well, just need to get the tools, etc.  I've seen @Boxflyer videos, etc, would like to get the tools.  Need the bike first.  I'd be surprised if I put more than a few thousand miles a year on it though.  Just want to tootle around the back roads.

Thanks for all the input !!

I won't go into my routine blather that I spew when someone asks this kinda question.  However, if you've decided on a Wethead (2014-2018), recommend you focus your search on (a) 2017-2018, for benefit of a mid-model transmission upgrade (and some other misc. mechanical improvements), and (b) look for a "Premium" model, as it includes all four major add-on packages (i.e. loaded).  Second, depending on what your $14K must cover (e.g. riding gear? helmet? after market things you might find mandatory for you, e.g. Nav, crash bars, aftermarket seat, lighting - you can look up Brad's video on his farkles, for an example), if that just needs to cover the cost of the bike, you should be able to get your low mileage BMW RT (i.e. < 20K miles) within that price range.  I haven't surveyed the market recently, but for example, I picked up my 2018 RT with less than 12K miles, plus a 49L top box from a dealer in 9/21 for about $14K (plus T&L).  Others have similar stories on low mile Wetheads.   If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a 2017/18 RT in the $12K range (again, just a WAG, mostly ignorant of the current market).   Also, I look 48-USA-states for my bikes, and am willing to travel or ship the right bike from the right source.   Even if you're determined to buy locally, check nationwide to help you understand the market, i.e. availability vs current pricing.

I find it goes better when I just lurk and remain silent, but I hope this helps ya some. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, KIGX said:

I'm 72 yo and thinking of getting back to riding.

Where do you live?  Many times, nearby bikes are potentially available, but haven't been posted for sale here or elsewhere.  You can leverage the benefits of this board for members to keep their eyes open for you, but it would help in that effort if we know the part of the country to focus on.  

Agree that, based on your experience and desire, a wethead 1200 would be a great fit.  Plenty of power.  More and more becoming available.

• Like 1

@Scott9999  Thanks for the info.  I wasn't aware of a mid season transmission upgrade.  Ya, the 14K +/- is for the bike.  Need another 2-3K for an Aerostich suit, helmet, crash bars...  

@RandyShields  I'm in Indiana, just outside Indianapolis.  There's a local BMW Motorrad dealer I'm keeping an eye on.  

@Stresspuppy  Thanks for the listings.  Helped me decipher a few acronyms BMW uses and the potential differences between specific bikes depending on what 'package' they got.  I downloaded your xls file for reference.  Thanks.

One acronym I'm still missing is RDC - what's that?

So, it's basically January 2024.  What discount on asking price could one expect to get from a dealer by buying a bike now?  0, 5, 10, 15% ??

Thanks

Bob

1 minute ago, KIGX said:

I'm in Indiana, just outside Indianapolis.

Excellent.  Paging Indy Dave.

We have a large contingent near you, led by Indy Dave, who is a board administrator and chief planner for START and FART, our spring and fall rides to the Appalachians.  As a group, they watch the market carefully and should be able to help you find the perfect ride.

1 hour ago, KIGX said:

One acronym I'm still missing is RDC - what's that?

So, it's basically January 2024.  What discount on asking price could one expect to get from a dealer by buying a bike now?  0, 5, 10, 15% ??

Thanks

Bob

RDC is what BMW calls the TPMS system

Welcome Bob.   Sounds like you have gotten good advice so far.  What I have done and currently have in place is use CycleTrader and set up a search.  In doing so you will get notified of any bikes that appear meeting your criteria.  You can set up a search for the year, location, price range, etc.  It works great.  I have a 2016 RT with 52K on it and it runs like a clock and has been awesome.  I have heard of the "transmission change" in the later years but honestly my RT shifts like butter and has never had an issue.  In fact is shifts much smoother than my 2018 GS.   So I would look for 2015 to 2018 RT's that meet your criteria. 

This site along with the BMWMOA site are awesome resources. 

Good Luck 

Here is a search on Cycletrader 

https://www.cycletrader.com/2015-2018-Bmw-R-1200-Rt/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Bmw|2315626&model=R 1200|764949111&trim=RT|4323&year=2015%3A2018&mileage=*%3A40000

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Hmm, you forgot to tell him that you think the Camheads are the greatest BMW ever made, as you usually do.  🙃😁🤣🤣🤣

I actually know that the Camheads are the best RT's ever made, thank you for the recognition:yes:

Any snow up there yet?

• Smile 1
Scott9999
3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I actually know that the Camheads are the best RT's ever made, thank you for the recognition:yes:

Any snow up there yet?

Got hit with 3+ inches one time in early Dec, warm, though, melted off within a day or so.  We've had some residual snow on the ground, but it's pretty much gone now.  It's been the mildest winter since we've been in Idaho.

All of which means, of course, blizzards comin' in Jan-March.  🙄😭  It may be a drought year.  We'll see.

• Thinking 1
Scott9999
3 hours ago, Stiggy said:

That's a "Sport model", like mine, which means it has a cut down front screen.  Can't recall what else, I think some different paint work, but not anything significantly different than the average RT.  @Stresspuppy 's list was great, but I'll add that when you use the secret decoder ring (re: @wbw6cos) on the bike's VIN, you may find some additional (minor) codes that impact paint, seat color, and so forth.

Wayne Johnson

The RT listed above in Greensboro was mine and provided 4 years of trouble free enjoyment. Boxflyer also performed his magic about 5k before its trade in. 

• Plus 1 1
Wayne Johnson

Service manager was stunned after looking at the odometer and realizing how good it ran.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wayne Johnson said:

The RT listed above in Greensboro was mine and provided 4 years of trouble free enjoyment. Boxflyer also performed his magic about 5k before its trade in. 

Wow!! Now that’s the kind of used bike I like,  one where you know who the previous owner was and how it was maintained.   This one is at a nice price too.  Thanks for sharing 

Stresspuppy

@KIGX - You've gotten some good info, and may already have decided on year, but when I was doing my research to buy one, @Scott9999 posted on another forum with a TON of great info. This might provide some good info on the different years, what his criteria was and what he ended up doing. It was a huge help to me (thanks @Scott9999!!)

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/which-rt-year-is-the-best-to-buy-what-to-look-for.192227/

• Thanks 1

@TSConver Thanks, I don't know how they get RDC for TPMS, german I guess...

@RTinNC Thanks, I have been searching nationwide by cycletrader, checking prices and stuff.  I wish their searches would only give you what you were searching for instead of all the other stuff they give you.  That bike in Greensboro has a few more miles on it than I was looking for but I guess these things go a lot further than that and I do think white is the best colour and since @Wayne Johnson had the bike properly maintained it would be enticing at that price too.  And, since I am unlikely to rack miles up, well, I wish it was closer to me.

@Stiggy Yup, got my eye on that one.  They have a couple others at that dealer too that would be interesting but less tech on them. I went to test ride one there about a month ago but they gave me a run around.  Probably not on purpose but they seemed fairly disorganized so never did try one and now it is 32F and was snowing a bit yesterday.

@Scott9999  You say that that bike is a 'sport model'.  Do you mean it is an RS not an RT?  Am I correct in believing that an RS has regular front forks whereas an RT has paralever?

@Stresspuppy  Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out.

Happy New Year y'all.

Bob

The RT's had some "sport" models.  Swing arm and some other bits were painted a different color.  And the shield was chopped lower.  Just cosmetic parts.  No real drive train changes.

• Plus 1 1

@Geekmaster Thanks for the listing.  I'm still looking closer to home first but that's a pretty nice one too.

@Scott9999, @92Merc I checked the magic VIN decoder ring again and it is listed with the 'sport windshield'.  So...  I'm 6ft tall is that an issue?  Also, I'm no sport canyon racer, is the seating/handlebar positions the same as with a regular RT?

Thanks, Bob

You'll want a Werks Quiet Ride windshield regardless. (Shameless promo on my part, based on personal experience.) See sig pic.

Scott9999
1 hour ago, KIGX said:

@Geekmaster Thanks for the listing.  I'm still looking closer to home first but that's a pretty nice one too.

@Scott9999, @92Merc I checked the magic VIN decoder ring again and it is listed with the 'sport windshield'.  So...  I'm 6ft tall is that an issue?  Also, I'm no sport canyon racer, is the seating/handlebar positions the same as with a regular RT?

Thanks, Bob

As @92Merc has contributed, that model as a "sport" version, just involves cosmetics.  Don't worry about it.  I didn't intend to throw you off by that comment, just that as you compare the vin decoder print outs between bikes, you'll see some codes unique to that particular RT version/model year.  Those differences are all cosmetic, i.e. paint colors, trim paint, and in one case, a brown colored seat (code 719, I believe), and so forth. 

As far as the "sport windshield", do a bit of research on this site and bmwst.com regarding what Beemer owners call "farkles", and specifically on after market windscreens for the Wethead RT.  There are many options, and both the seat and windshields are probably the most common after market changes or add-ons that most Beemer owners make.  The stock seat and screens are much improved (as you'll find mentioned), but a slightly taller, shorter, wider screen better fits the rider, and a custom seat can make all the difference between a Beemer being a 100 mile or 1000 mile per day bike.  Six feet tall is (in my opinion) the physique that the Beemer RT was modeled for.  Anidotally, 6' to 6'2" folks seem to have the last "fitment" problems with the RT.  (As @Stiggy just mentioned, the Werks shield is a very popular after market replacement, but not the only option.  I'm cheap, so buying used worked for me.  Enables me to try several without paying full price for each, to get the best fit.  YMMV.)

Again, regarding the sport screen, many in very hot climates prefer that size, to get more air over the top.  It doesn't work as well for others.  Lol, I took one ride around my Idaho lake in late fall, and after I peeled the ice from my face, decided I'd need a bigger windscreen for most Northwest riding.  So, I replaced my sport screen with a taller one.  So, I rode with that in the heat of last summer, and after standing on the pegs to find the windstream, thought to myself "yeah ... maybe I'll have to cut down that extra stocker screen I picked up, and add that as a 'sport screen' for the summer months."   🤣

I'm in agreement with @Stiggy.  Doesn't matter what shield you get.  Swap it out for a Quiet Works.  I'm 5'10" and have the standard height QW shield.  I also run a Russel Day long seat that puts me up a bit over stock seat.  That shield works well for me.  The QW shield creates a much calmer pocket of air behind the shield so you just don't need it up as high.

But I live in ND.  So I'm not riding in Texas sized heat.  So I'm fine with it.  If you were from Texas, NM, Arizona, the sport shield would be good for the summer.  Swap to the QW shield when it cools off.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

If you’re interested at all in the Greensboro bike I’m good friends with the manager of that shop.  Pretty sure that RT is the one he ride to Birmingham in October so I’m sure he’s got first hand experience with it.  Happy to make the 100 mile drive up there as well for closer look and more detailed pictures…. If you’re serious.  The mileage is not that bad at all and the price is great. 

RE: the windshield… I would always try the bike first BEFORE making that kind of change.  For a lot of guts the stock shield works fine.  Do don’t spend money you don’t need to.

Oh and regarding the sport model …. What I really like about it is it does not have the chrome parts … they are black … as they should be 😉

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KIGX said:

Thanks, I don't know how they get RDC for TPMS

I assume the RD is from Reifendruck which is tire pressure auf Deutsch (in German). I'm guessing the C is control??

• Like 1
Wayne Johnson

KIGX my last rt before the 19 at Greensboro I flew to Charlotte and rode it home after working a deal with the owner to use his plate and my insurance to ride it home to Conn. You want to ride again why not start with purchase date! i rode that 19 from Ct for the trade and had 700 miles home to get acclimated to the 23 on the way back!

• Like 1

@Scott9999  @92Merc @RTinNC OK on the sport windshield, easily changed at not too much cost...  I would have thought they'd cost over $1K...  So, not worth fussing about until you decide you don't like it.

@MikeB60 Thanks for the translation, makes sense.  Speaking of TPS, how long do the wheel sensors last?  I have a 2010 Prius and the tire pressure warning has been on constantly for a couple years.  I don't care because I routinely check tire pressure and I have a compressor to deal with it.  On a bike it might be good to keep it working in case you pick up a nail and have an impending flat.  They seem expensive to replace.

@Wayne Johnson  Ya, maybe not for me, riding it a 1000 miles home.  As stated, I'm 72, haven't ridden in 20+ years, I need to get back to it a little more slowly. 

@RTinNC  Thanks for the very generous offer.   I checked the VIN and it seems to have all the gizmos I want.  Kind of goes against my instinct to not get the first new model year and the shift cams just seem like something else to go wrong.  I'll certainly keep it and your offer in mind though, I do like the white....  I guess I can have it shipped, that seems to be what @Scott9999 has successfully done in the past.

Bob

10 minutes ago, KIGX said:

@Scott9999  @92Merc @RTinNC OK on the sport windshield, easily changed at not too much cost...  I would have thought they'd cost over $1K...  So, not worth fussing about until you decide you don't like it.

@MikeB60 Thanks for the translation, makes sense.  Speaking of TPS, how long do the wheel sensors last?  I have a 2010 Prius and the tire pressure warning has been on constantly for a couple years.  I don't care because I routinely check tire pressure and I have a compressor to deal with it.  On a bike it might be good to keep it working in case you pick up a nail and have an impending flat.  They seem expensive to replace.

@Wayne Johnson  Ya, maybe not for me, riding it a 1000 miles home.  As stated, I'm 72, haven't ridden in 20+ years, I need to get back to it a little more slowly. 

@RTinNC  Thanks for the very generous offer.   I checked the VIN and it seems to have all the gizmos I want.  Kind of goes against my instinct to not get the first new model year and the shift cams just seem like something else to go wrong.  I'll certainly keep it and your offer in mind though, I do like the white....  I guess I can have it shipped, that seems to be what @Scott9999 has successfully done in the past.

Bob

Yes ... there are a few good shippers.  I and a buddy have used Federal with good results.  They provide an AMA discount and probably others as well.  I would expect to pay about $700 give or take a bit.  That is what it cost me to ship a bike from Austin TX to Charlotte back in 2020.   Another option is to drive out and pick it up with a trailer.  Uhaul has a killer deal on MC trailer rentals for $14.95 per 24 hour period. 

Good luck and keep up posted. 

• Plus 1 1

The shiftcam is a really simple design and has proven to be very reliable in operation. Outside of the shiftcam the 2019s are identical to the previous wc bikes. I own a 2019 GS and haven't had a single issue. I haven't seen any failures related to the shiftcam system on this or other BMW websites. 

The TPMS sensors can be purchased for about 50 dollars I purchased an extra set of Schrader units for my extra set of wheels this summer. My 2016 GS had the original sensors for six years when I sold it.  I'm sure they are much more expensive at the dealer.  Caught a nail in the front tire of my K1600GT a few years ago. The TPMS warning allowed me to get off the interstate at 1030PM and into a gas station where I was able to plug the tire. Much better than being in the breakdown lane of the interstate  

• Like 1

@MikeB60  @Skywagon  Good to know you don't have to use BMW sensors!!  Thanks.  I may have a 1250 in my backup plans.  You are correct, I haven't seen people complaining about them...

@RTinNC  I thought of a trailer but wasn't wanting to spend the money on one.  I didn't know U-haul has them, thanks!!!

@Skywagon  So why does your avatar have what looks like a warthog when you are Skywagon?  I had my own IFR Skylane for some time.  Quit flying about 13 years ago when I retired.  Figured I couldn't afford it.  I used to joke that I gave up motorcycles and started flying because motorcycles were too dangerous...  In flying you kill yourself whereas with motorcycles someone else usually does it for you.

Dave_in_TX
On 1/1/2024 at 10:14 AM, KIGX said:

That bike in Greensboro has a few more miles on it than I was looking for but I guess these things go a lot further than that and I do think white is the best colour and since.

That isn't really that much mileage for a well maintained wethead. My 2014 R1200GS (same engine as RT) had 132k trouble free miles on it before I sold it. Second owner did have to put a new alternator in it at 140k but later years have an upgraded alternator. My 2020 R1250GS (almost same engine) had 93k on it, when it was totaled due to being rear ended, and I have 26k on my 2023 R1250GS. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
alegerlotz
On 12/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, KIGX said:

Questions:

1) Do all the ABS systems have linked brakes where applying the front brake automatically applies the rear even though you don't touch the rear brake?

2) Do all the bikes come with TCS?  Traction control?

3) Do all the bikes come with ASC?  Automatic stability control where the lean angle of the bike has an affect on the ABS system?

Answers:

1) All of the R1200RTs and later have linked brakes.  When you use the front brake lever both are applied.  You can add more rear brake if you like.  You can also use the rear brake alone for slow speed manuevers.

2) AFAIK they do.  Even if you could get one without it, good luck finding one in the USA.

3) As with 2, AFAIK they do and good luck finding out without it anyway.  The adaptive ABS that takes lean angle into the equation began with the 2017 model year.

All of that being said, these bikes are incredibly capable and the handling is going to be a lot more nimble than your 1987 K100.

I ride my bike through a lot of canyons and don't waste any time doing it.  I've never once wanted/needed to turn off the riding aids (ABS, ASC, etc...) but I don't engage them often either; maybe in the rain and in that case I'm glad they are there.  I use dynamic mode which sets them at their least agressive thresholds.    It sounds like you've had some sort of bad experience with ABS or for some reason don't trust it.  ABS on these bikes has come a long way from the 37 year old K100LT.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do happen to engage it during a hard stop.

Have fun shopping!

• Like 1
On 1/2/2024 at 4:07 PM, alegerlotz said:

1) All of the R1200RTs and later have partially  linked brakes.  When you use the front brake lever both are applied.  You can add more rear brake if you like.  You can also use the rear brake alone for slow speed manuevers.

Fixed it for you.:java:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Fixed it for you.:java:

I guess when they say "partially" that means the front lever is linked and the rear brake lever is not linked.   The OP question was related to application of the front brake which most of us refer to as Linked Brakes.  But technically it the correct nomenclature is partially linked.   Per BMW ..... 

With partially integral brake systems, the handlebar lever applies the brakes to both wheels, while the footbrake lever only acts on the rear wheel brake. ABS systems are a clear gain in safety compared to conventional brake systems, as frequently described in motorcycle tests.

• Like 2

Agreed that the ABS and ASC are well sorted on the Wetheads and newer.  Improved the system from there after 2017(?) with lean sensitive algorithm.

I was skeptical of ABS and linked ABS but after having two bikes with it would never have a bike without it for street riding. Very reliable and works innocuously in the background.   On my Wethead I turned off the ASC and tried a wheelie.  Oh yeah, it sure will pull the front wheel up fast and I had the gas tank up into by beer tumor instantly. It was a little startling on a big ass touring bike to launch the front wheel that high and fast.  Turned the ASC back on and never did that again. Besides it is sort of fun on low speed turns through an intersection to whack on the throttle and the ASC will let the rear step out slightly before the computer says that is enough Mr Ham Fist and smoothly gets the wheels back in line.

alegerlotz
6 hours ago, Paul De said:

Agreed that the ABS and ASC are well sorted on the Wetheads and newer.  Improved the system from there after 2017(?) with lean sensitive algorithm.

I was skeptical of ABS and linked ABS but after having two bikes with it would never have a bike without it for street riding. Very reliable and works innocuously in the background.   On my Wethead I turned off the ASC and tried a wheelie.  Oh yeah, it sure will pull the front wheel up fast and I had the gas tank up into by beer tumor instantly. It was a little startling on a big ass touring bike to launch the front wheel that high and fast.  Turned the ASC back on and never did that again. Besides it is sort of fun on low speed turns through an intersection to whack on the throttle and the ASC will let the rear step out slightly before the computer says that is enough Mr Ham Fist and smoothly get’s the wheels back in line.

In Dynamic mode you can still get the front tire to feel pretty light when being too generous with the throttle.  Its especially easy to do this if you're in slow traffic making a turn and decide that you can't stand being behind a slow poke... 

DufferMax

This may not be allowed here but I have a camhead 2013rt for sale ($4k) that’s not listed anywhere yet. It’s been flawless, many options including RDL seat, Denali aux lights, VStream windscreen, Garmin XT cradle. I’m 72 also and just bought a ‘19. I ride 12-14k miles/yr. 

12 hours ago, DufferMax said:

This may not be allowed here but I have a camhead 2013rt for sale ($4k) that’s not listed anywhere yet. It’s been flawless, many options including RDL seat, Denali aux lights, VStream windscreen, Garmin XT cradle. I’m 72 also and just bought a ‘19. I ride 12-14k miles/yr. 

You probably want to post it in the classifieds…. With pictures 👍

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/forum/119-bikes/

• Plus 1 2
  • 1 month later...
2015 Blue RT

Late to the conversation, but welcome aboard. As you have found out this forum is a wonderful resource full of helpful folks! As my sig says, I came looking for an older bike and was talked into the wethead! Great decision! This was my first BMW, but I've been riding many years. I kid around with people & say it's an old guys bike since it has items like cruise control, electric windshield & a really comfortable riding position. It also gets 46-48 MPG on average. I still love my UJM Suzukis, but for a daily commuter, the RT is the best.

Don't get overly concerned about miles if it's been maintained. Mine had 88K when I got it, and I'm at almost 118K in a little over 2 years. The worst thing that has happened was a self-inflicted fuel pump failure after I ran some octane booster.

I ride year round and most days weather permitting to and from work. Likewise, don't let distance away necessarily kill a good deal. Usually there is a forum member that can look over a bike for expenses. I'm in FL and mine crossed the country from Oregon via uship.com. I think it was around $1K for that in 2021. The same bike in FL with similar miles was like $3K more at the time.