IGNORED

R1250 Sales

JamesW

I'm curious if anyone has an idea what the ratio is in sales of new BMW bikes between standard equipped models and bikes with all or most all optional whistles and bells.  Personally I would be satisfied with just the standard version of a new R1250RT at a cost savings north of $6K.  

Also, I think valve checks and adjustments require the use of a special BMW tool and I wonder if a private party could purchase this tool.  I have read on these forums that BMW won't sell a service manual to the general public.  Kind of hard to believe.

Twisties

I'm not aware of any special tools for valve checks and adjustments on our 1250 GSs.  If you want to do the cam timing ala Boxflyer then yes, you need special tools.  For the valve checks you need feeler gauges.  Some of them are odd sizes and it's worth investing in a set from Boxflyer, but I still wouldn't call feeler gauges specialized tools.  To actually adjust the valve clearances you would need the proper size shims.  But again, these are pretty standard and widely available.  Boxflyer has a nice set available.  All-in-all, retooling to work on the 1250 coming from the hexhead 1200 was a little more than I expected, but not so much in the engine department....  I needed new fittings for my No-Mar to deal with GS wheels and a new GS-911 to read codes, etc.  Everything together was less than taking it in for one service.

As for instructions, Boxflyer has free videos on YouTube and Jim vonBaden has DVDs for sale.  Both are excellent.  Jim's are little more streamlined.  These will get you through routine maintenance. 

• Like 1
Twisties

Also, Boxflyer has been doing the services for free (no-labor charge, you pay for consumables) at the east coast meets.