IGNORED

What is the right choice

sgilbert

Looking for feedback and advice. I got out of riding a few years back but the bug is back. My last bike was a 2004 1150RT and will be looking for another RT. I don't want to go deep into cost at first and have found bikes in the price range in the 2008 to 2012 years, 45k or less and in good condition BUT have been greeting steered away from the pre-2010's but can't find any info here on why? Would I go wrong with either if the best bike is older than a 2009?

Thanks

2 hours ago, sgilbert said:

Looking for feedback and advice. I got out of riding a few years back but the bug is back. My last bike was a 2004 1150RT and will be looking for another RT. I don't want to go deep into cost at first and have found bikes in the price range in the 2008 to 2012 years, 45k or less and in good condition BUT have been greeting steered away from the pre-2010's but can't find any info here on why? Would I go wrong with either if the best bike is older than a 2009?

Thanks

Morning sgilbert

When looking at pre 2010 1200RT motorcycles the later the better. With 2009 probably being the best, late 2008 being very close, early 2008 being pretty darn good. If possible try to eliminate the 2005 & 2006, with 2007 being better than the 2005/2006 but still lacking some of the better things of the  2008/2009. 

This isn't 100% as there are some fine 2005/2006 1200RTs and some 2008/2009 that had issues. But as rule the later the better in the 1200  hexhead  model.

The 1200 hexhead did have a few issues all the way through the model run with the fuel gauge fuel strip failing being the most prevalent. Not only do did a number of 1200RTs have failing fuel strips but with some it kept returning. There is a newer (supposedly updated) fuel strip available but I'm not sure if this a permanent fix or just a hope. 

The other thing that plagued some later 1200RTs was sticking brushes in the ABS servo motor. It's kind of a big pain to repair yourself  & very expensive if having it repaired by a shop.  (this only effected the 1200 hexhead bikes with IABS gen 2 (non wizzy) braking systems. 

Otherwise a few recalls for things like brake lines, rear wheel flange cracking (replaced with steel under a recall), cracking in the fuel pump flange (covered under a recall & a longer warranty). 

My suggestion is to read a number of older threads in the hexhead section on this web site as most issues have been covered a number of time over the years. 

The 2008/2009 1200RT was (still is) a great motorcycle but like most BMW motorcycles it's far from perfect. 

The 2011 up 1200 camhead is probably a little better as far as inherent issues go. The 2010 camhead still had that darn fuel strip. 

• chrisolson featured this topic

Thanks for the info.. I hope to keep it in the 5-6k range seeing I have been out of it and want to make sure that I still love riding as much as I did. Seeing that it is a few months before the riding season I may extend that if needed depending on what I put in the bike fund as a down payment. 

If I look at 2012 and 2013's with 40-50k would that milage scare anyone.. here is one possible

https://www.kissellmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=14753385&p=3&make=bmw&s=(Sort By)&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

guess I need a new bike to update my pic from the 04

• Like 1

I still have it and using it for my decision and really based on that heading towards the 2010+ with that how would you rate the bike in the link above a solid deal. 2011 so falls in your range and it is about 4 hrs away but may head down this weekend to look at it but being an 11 it gets away from that "darn fuel strip"

25 minutes ago, sgilbert said:

I still have it and using it for my decision and really based on that heading towards the 2010+ with that how would you rate the bike in the link above a solid deal. 2011 so falls in your range and it is about 4 hrs away but may head down this weekend to look at it but being an 11 it gets away from that "darn fuel strip"

Morning sgilbert

I can't open the link to anything useful, all I get is your inbox. I'm not going to dig around in someone's inbox. 

Try to get the motorcycle info as a direct link, or at least get a picture of it on your computer or phone in .JPG form then attach it to your post here. 

48 minutes ago, sgilbert said:

Morning sgilbert

Some obvious boot scuffs, L/H side was down at standstill at least once, but looks decent from the pictures (but keep in mind that most dealers are masters of putting a glow on a pig. Not saying they did just saying that they can easily do that. 

Price seems decent (especially with a new front tire & service).

My number one recommendation is: if possible try to take a mechanically competent current 1200 rider with you to look at it if possible. A second set of eyes is usually a good thing & a non buyer usually is not dazzled with the prospect of owning that motorcycle like you will probably be.

From what I can see in the pictures (pictures can hide things) & the price,  it looks like it would be worth the drive to look at it as long as the scuffs won't bother you as repairing those cosmetic things cost way more than you think it would.  

Look closely at the rear wheel, I see some stains on the rim , most likely brake dust & water that dripped off after washing it. But if those stains are greasy feeling or oily feeling, or look like from a final drive leak, then don't buy it without the dealer repairing it first. 

Same with rear of engine front of catalytic converter,  look for signs of oil seepage and/or old seepage stains. 

Also look at the brake pads, if they look well worn then have dealer replace before buying. The dealer can do that fairly cheaply but once you own it those same brake pads/replacement will be expensive.  

Also ask if they will give you a short term warranty, you won't get much but even a 30 day can give you options on things that you find after buying it. You might even insist on a 30 day before you will buy it. Might work & might not but sure worth a try.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sgilbert said:

Afternoon sgilbert

On the first one, I went back & listened to the walkaround again, it mentions that it has no rear ESA. That could be a good thing as ESA repair or replacement is expensive. If you mainly ride without a passenger or heavy camping gear then you probably won't adjust it much anyhow. 

If you ride with & without a passenger regularly then having ESA is a pretty good asset. 

On the second bike that you linked to, I can't tell lot from the pictures so you either need better resolution pictures or need to look at it in person. On face value it looks decent but on-line pictures can hide a lot of things. Do they have a service history on that second motorcycle? 

starting to think I should have grabbed that great condition 2002 LT for under $3 just to see if I love to ride again.. cheap, gets be back on a bike and if I decide it is a no I am not out much

59 minutes ago, sgilbert said:

starting to think I should have grabbed that great condition 2002 LT for under $3

They pop up time to time on CL. There was a 2012 K 16 GTL on there for 6K but I see the ad expired.

4 hours ago, sgilbert said:

This is a nice loaded RT. From the photos I see it has TPMS, ASC, ESA, radio and heated seats. My 2012 is same color and options.

Fully loaded. I'm not sure about the price if it's high or average. Mileage is low only to compare it with my identical 2012 with 104,000 miles. You need to inspect it, test ride it and check all the maintenance records.  Follow Dirt Riders lead on what to look for and what to negotiate for based on what you find. Definitely a nice low mileage RT. Good luck.

Thanks and I am still waiting for a reply about having the service history. I printed off DirtRiders lead and will taking it with me so I don't forget anything. Why can't BMW be like Harley and make stuff I don't love.. so far I loved the 02 1200 LT I looked at, the RT's and then I sat on a 1600 GTL and I never wanted to get off... are there pills to help with these issues?

7 hours ago, sgilbert said:

are there pills to help with these issues?

LOL... Yeah, rather large pill. Comes on two wheels and you can even sit on it ;)

GM and thank you for that offer and I may take you up on it. I'm going to look at a low mile K1200LT on Sat that I was offered to me at a great which is in awesome condition. May get that to get back on the road and then next year seriously take a look at the 1600. If the LT ends up as a no go I just may ask if you would take a look at that and then if I get it take you out for a beer and a bite for doing so.  

• Like 1

Had a 2005 RT at one point that I purchased in 2015 which, except the fuel strip issue that is a recall, hasn't had any issues with it in a little less than 1.5 years. At one point the shifter started sticking but the mounting hole just needed cleaning from the road gunk. 

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic