IGNORED

New Grips

81delorean

I thought the stock grips were a little to small of diameter for my liking so I put some grip puppies on, I liked them on my old bike, rode for 4 years with them on, but found they made the grips to thick for my liking.  I don't remember if I read it on here or somewhere else but whoever it was that recommended putting fishing pole shrink tubing over the grips, THANK YOU! I put two layers on today and I think they are about perfect now. Let me get some miles on them and see for sure but I think they will be fine. 

• Plus 1 1

81- does the fishing pole wrap improve the grip also? Cause my stock grips seem a little "slippery", like I have to squeeze them too much or the throttle slips closed.

Not being a fisherman, Ive never thought about something like this. Bet it's super easy to find. I might give it a look. D

46 minutes ago, Dave P said:

81- does the fishing pole wrap improve the grip also? Cause my stock grips seem a little "slippery", like I have to squeeze them too much or the throttle slips closed.

Not being a fisherman, Ive never thought about something like this. Bet it's super easy to find. I might give it a look. D

Afternoon Dave

One thing you might try is using part of a grip puppy, I find this really improves the grip & comfort without making the grip too large on the off-thumb side of the hand. It also supports the base of the thumb to keep that part of the hand from going numb or cramping up. 

It also allows better grip heater operation as the middle of the grip outward is not insulated.

If your grip still slips on throttle-up then maybe look into a wrist rest, those things allow the throttle to smoothly follow the hand without having to grip with a death grip. Personally, I cut the wrist rest down shorter with a better shaped width so it still works as intended but I don't catch my jacket sleeve on it. Once you get them shaped correctly & to fit YOUR hand position they really work,  you will wonder how you ever lived without one. 

An8Cywf.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave P said:

I'm not much of a fisherman either but I do like to go to Joes Crab Shack. I never thought about the fishing pole wrap either, I just stumbled upon it one day, it was cheap and easy to do so why not try it. I haven't tried them with the heated grips on but it's not supposed to be a problem at all. As far as grip, yes it is improved while not being overly sticky if that makes sense. I think I got the 40mm stuff for around $11 on Amazon, did two layers on each grip, used a heat gun.  Just do a search for "fishing pole shrink tube"

IMG_1267.JPG

81- So the stuff in the photo is the fishing pole wrap? That stuff looks great. I like how thin it looks. Is it a little bit "sticky"?

I always thought the grip puppies made the diameter too large. I'm happy with the stock dia.

totally different bike, but my 1100 RT has the exact same oem grips as my 1200, but Ive never felt like the throttle wants to close unless I hold it firm. I don't think the 1200 has a problem, it's just a whole different bike. 

Wonder if a place like Bass Pro would have that stuff?  Dave

I just went to Bass Pro / Cabela's to pick up that wrap. They'd not heard of it (I showed them the Internet saying they had it), they did not have it. Ordered some from Amazon. 

11 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I just went to Bass Pro / Cabela's to pick up that wrap. They'd not heard of it (I showed them the Internet saying they had it), they did not have it. Ordered some from Amazon. 

I think you'll like them. Try a single layer first and see how you like it, add to it until you get the thickness you want. 

7 minutes ago, 81delorean said:

I think you'll like them. Try a single layer first and see how you like it, add to it until you get the thickness you want. 

I want the grips thin, I'm only looking for a cover because the grips are worn out and sticky, they are already almost 1.5" diameter with no cover (I ordered 45 mm tubing). I have the grip puppies but they are too thick for me. They are heated grips (on an HD) and the puppies don't get as warm besides being too thick. I tried standard shrink tubing, but it proved a bit too slippery.

I have replacement grips, but changing them will probably take an hour or more, and I'm just looking to get by until spring. Or summer. Fall at the latest...

Might just have the shop install when I drop it off for other service.