IGNORED

Adding another device.

Steveyacht

I would like to pair an old I phone to my 2023 R1250rt. Will this be a problem since I just want to use it for music playback only? If it's ok, what's the correct process?

• Like 1

Do you mean like having two phones paired to the bike at once? Yes, possible but you will need to change connections manually. It will look for connection with the last phone it has used, not both phones.

Process is in your owner's manual. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Curious, why such an addition? 

In my case would be a matter of having a work phone and a private phone. When on call and feeling like a ride, the work phone in the pocket scenario does not tell you who is calling. I need to see that so I can either answer it or ignore it. I can have the phone paired to the bike or have it sitting in a visible spot.

I hated the manual switch option, so I made an adaptor to have the phone sit on the top of my SW-Motech tankbag with the help pf a Quadlock mount. This way the bike phone connects to the helmet via the bike and the work phone is paired to the helmet as a second phone.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Curious, why such an addition? 

I have an I phone that I have my music downloaded on, I do not have it connected, essentially I want to use it like an I Pod. I have my main phone connected and use that one for BMW Connection.  I would like to use the old phone like an I Pod. 

On my previous two bikes, I could simply direct connect with a USB cable.  Easy, Peasy. Wish this one had same connectivity options.

Not sure when it became available, but at least on my iPhone 15 Pro Max you can program up to 4 phones (with 4 different phone numbers) at the same time. I assume the newest Androids are probably the same way, since there's no physical SIM cards anymore (they're eSIM cards now, with up to 4 numbers). I'd just transfer your work number to your iPhone, and problem solved:grin:. You cannot talk with 2 phones at the same time anyway. And yes, with more than 1 phone number, the phone announces which phone is ringing (you assign a name to each line)... and there's call waiting too. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, JCtx said:

I'd just transfer your work number to your iPhone, and problem solved:grin:

For that to happen down this way I would need to drag my boss down to a shopping centre to authorise the move of one of the work numbers he owns to the phone, in one of the carrier shops. I have more chance winning lotto. The other thing is that there are a lot of smaller providers who rent capacity on the large carrier networks, but do not get to use all of the available technology, such as e-SIM or the full speed of the 5G network. My personal number is from one of them. So one has to find workarounds in the name of convenience.

The bottom line is that what @Steveyacht here wants to achieve is not possible, cannot have two simultaneous phone connections to the bike. One at the time only. A BT aggregator could be the solution, but I have not heard one in recent times. Probably not much commercial need for one since the phones are capable of multiple simultaneous connections. Too bad our bikes and many cars cannot do that.  

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Hati said:

For that to happen down this way I would need to drag my boss down to a shopping centre to authorise the move of one of the work numbers he owns to the phone, in one of the carrier shops. I have more chance winning lotto. The other thing is that there are a lot of smaller providers who rent capacity on the large carrier networks, but do not get to use all of the available technology, such as e-SIM or the full speed of the 5G network. My personal number is from one of them. So one has to find workarounds in the name of convenience.

The bottom line is that what @Steveyacht here wants to achieve is not possible, cannot have two simultaneous phone connections to the bike. One at the time only. A BT aggregator could be the solution, but I have not heard one in recent times. Probably not much commercial need for one since the phones are capable of multiple simultaneous connections. Too bad our bikes and many cars cannot do that.  

Evening Hati

Would your boss have a problem with you answering HIS call on a non company phone? If not then you could always use call forwarding on your work phone.  

35 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Would your boss have a problem with you answering HIS call on a non company phone?

Not so much that.. I already dragged him off once, no chance of doing it again, unless the company gets new phones. Which it is not... Personally, I have the two phone setup down pat on the RT, so no issues for me anymore.

This makes sense as on a first thought, transferring work number to personal phone or call forwarding would be the only two options. That's the downside of connectivity limitations on a RT. But, Hati, would call forwarding not be an option? I don't think you need to go to a mobile company service center. I guess the only other thing is that whoever is calling you would likely see "call forwarded" on their handset if they dial you through that setup. 

I guess, if you have your second phone well protected and visible in this colder weather, that's a solution. 

would call forwarding not be an option?

It is always an option, quite right there, but so far the amount of calls I need to deal with on my rides were not annoying me enough to step away from the two phone system.

if you have your second phone well protected and visible in this colder weather, that's a solution. 

It's an iPhone 12 P/M with a Quadlock case and screen protector, can sit in the weather just fine. we don't get much by the way of cold ;)

• Like 1