IGNORED

No spark!

dho1pilot

I have a 96 R1100 RT. I bought this bike knowing that it needed a battery and an alternator. The bike would run when I took it home.  I replaced the battery and the alternator. The bike has not run since. I replaced the wiring harness, hall sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, coil and still no spark. Fuel pump runs.

Anyone that knows anything about this problem please help.

11 hours ago, dho1pilot said:

I have a 96 R1100 RT. I bought this bike knowing that it needed a battery and an alternator. The bike would run when I took it home.  I replaced the battery and the alternator. The bike has not run since. I replaced the wiring harness, hall sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, coil and still no spark. Fuel pump runs.

Anyone that knows anything about this problem please help.

Morning   dho1pilot

Not really enough info to point a direct finger at your problem. 

What wiring harnesses did you replace? Are they the correct wire harnesses for your particular motorcycle & engine? 

Was the HES new, re-wired, or used? 

Is the HES timing cup properly installed with the timing cup tit properly in the crankshaft notch? 

Is your coil getting 12v with key on? 

Is your HES triggering the fuel pump to run when you spin the crankshaft with the key ON? 

Is fuse #5 in the under-seat fuse box OK & not blown? If the fuel pump runs then probably OK but check anyhow.

If it ran before the work you did & not afterward then your problem is probably with something you did, you just need to retrace your work & try to find out what it is. 

You might try a 1/2 hour fuse #5 removal, then reinstall & see if you have a spark. It's possible the Motronic is locked out from the HES work. 

Another test might be to use a NOID light on one of the fuel injectors to see if you are getting a fuel injection pulse during engine cranking.

If no injector pulse then suspect something with the HES, or no full-time and/or key-on 12v inputs to the Motronic.   If the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds at key-on  then lack of 12v to the Motronic is less likely. 

You might also think of building a timing box to verify the HES is working correctly. 

If nothing easily found then do recheck the HES installation as it is easy to get the timing cup out of place on reinstallation & tear up the HES. Service manual says to glue the timing cup to the pulley before installation. 

When you check for spark leave the off side spark plug in the plug wire with spark plug body grounded (your ignition system is a lost-spark system so both spark plugs spark together as a continuous loop). So the other side spark plug is part of the circuit on the side that you are testing.  

The HES is new.

I replaced the main wiring harness from the fuse box forward.

The coil is getting 12 volts with the key on.

Not sure how to build a timing box, I will have to research that.

Thanks for the info.