IGNORED

Book Review: Joey Evan’s "From Para to Dakar"

MotoNews

Published in: Media

From Para to Dakar Book Review Intro

My hat is well and truly off to Joey Evans. This is the story of how he went from being a paraplegic to racing in the fabled Dakar Rally. It is a journey of courage and one of the most inspirational tales I’ve ever read. This story needs to be shared. Every ADVMoto reader should own this book.

The tone of humility, humor, grit, determination and pure inspiration flows from the very first pages. The pace is swift, the timing impeccable, and the tension had me turning pages fast and far into the night. It’s a story with an incredible number of twists and turns.

Joey was born and raised in South Africa. He was enthralled by dirt riding from an early age, and this book takes you through the journey of how he become a skillful part-time dirt racer. I loved the use of South African slang and found the insight into Southern African racing fascinating. For Joey, riding and racing is a hobby of passion. Although it was just a hobby, he dreamt of riding the toughest off-road race in the world, the Dakar—more than 5,000 miles of harsh, challenging riding.

From Para to Dakar Review 1

I get the impression he’s the kind of guy that’s a blast being around. Quick to smile, enthusiastic, caring, and able to admit to having made a mistake. If there’s a breakdown or a rider takes a tumble, he’s the first to stop, stay until he’s no longer needed, then with doubled determination, does everything possible to make up the time he’s gifted the fellow rider.

He has respect for broken bones but no fear of breaking them. His attitude is that if you take risks then you will probably pay the price at some point. As motorcyclists, we know that things can go badly wrong, but we choose not to dwell on that.

However, Joey had a massive crash in a race, and with a resultant crushed spinal cord, he was paralyzed from just below the chest and facing life in a wheelchair. You are right with him as he faces the shock of the life changes ahead. His dreams of the Dakar were shattered, too… or were they? He’s the kind of guy who refuses to accept being told something is impossible.

An important part of this book covers the monumental mental and physical demands of learning to walk and ride again, but it’s presented in a way that despite the enormity of the task, the point isn’t labored.

How does a man who is older than the majority of Dakar entrants, and who not so long before couldn’t walk, get the finances to make his high-reaching dream come true? I was amazed at the descriptions of the complications involved in entering the Dakar Rally. The skill level required, the high entry fees, and all the ancillary costs are significant. This is a book full of top tips for anyone aiming to ride the Dakar (or just wanting to understand more of how it works). One of the things that really impressed me was how Joey named so many who helped him achieve this seemingly impossible dream.

From Para to Dakar Review 2We watch the Dakar from the comfort of our homes and marvel at the spectacle, the riding skills, the scenery, and the challenges. Few ever come even remotely close to understanding the grit, the level of sheer physical pain, the innovative thinking required, and the ability to draw from reserves that are demanded from every rider.

There are so many fascinating threads running through this tale that it would be easy to lose track if the book wasn’t so skillfully told. It’ll have you traveling right next to him as he races. The descriptions are riveting.

We hear the phrase “Lead by example” less and less in times when integrity, honor, determination, and compassion are needed more than ever. We can all benefit by reading this inspirational yet very human role model story—and I don’t say that lightly.

ISBN: 978-0-620-75751-5

Publisher: Tracy McDonald Publishers

Amazon: Paperback—$17.99 | Kindle—$6.99 | Audible—$14.00 (narrated by the author and his wife)

Read more ...

View the full article