IGNORED

6 speed transmission on 1250 GS

Greg Novak

I recently purchase a brand  new 2023 1250 GS, the transmission grinds a bit when you shift gears from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd.

4th, 5th, 6th, gears are nice and smooth engagements this occurs while using the clutch.  I only have 1200 miles on the bike.

My old 1997 GS with over 50,000 miles on it shifts nice and smooth in all gears.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal.

Edited by Greg Novak
correct grammer

Does it have the quickshifter?

1st to 2nd can clunk a bit. But if using the QS and under throttle mine shifts pretty smooth.  They do get better as they wear in as well.

Thank you for your response, yes it does have the quick shifter I usually only use it in the top 3 gears, but just like you say the 1st three gears with clutch give a annoying crunch sound, and associated vibration when you step on the shift lever.

• Members
  • Joined Dec 2023

Thank you for your response, yes it does have the quick shifter I usually only use it in the top 3 gears, but just like you say the 1st three gears with clutch give a annoying crunch sound, and associated vibration when you step on the shift lever.

You said that's with the clutch, not the quick-shifter, right? Well, it shouldn't grind at all. Maybe clunk, but not grind. Anyway, the easiest way to tell by yourself if something is wrong, is to drive another '23. Otherwise, your other 2 options are to let another '23 owner drive yours (or swap bikes), and tell you. Or let a dealer tech drive it, and tell you. Hope there's nothing wrong with it. Good luck.

Thanks for you response, It is with the clutch, and perhaps the best description it a pronounced clunk or perhaps an almost grinding clunk. I guess my best bet is to have some ride mine who is familiar with the bike. 

Thanks again for you help.

Check clutch lever pull distance . set to furthest away from the grip then pull in lever to grip and shift . see if this improves the shift .  Do you have grip puppies or buddies ?  this can affect the pull and disengagement slightly teamed with a not so full pull will net a grinding of the gears as some power is still applied to the shaft .  

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977
On 12/13/2023 at 7:11 PM, DakarTimm said:

I'd pay the dealer a visit post haste . Document the situation . If at all possible ride another bike which is the same as yours .

AND, when the dealer tech tells you it's "normal" be certain that your print out of the service visit clearly states your complaint AND that they diagnosed it as NORMAL, NOTHING WRONG HERE (Capitalization for emphasis only). Good luck 🤞.

On a 2023 RT (much like all my other 6 RT's of various generations) it sometimes feels like a bucket of bolts. When you don't use a quickshifter (if equipped) preloading the gear shifter prior to upshifts helps significantly. 

On 12/24/2023 at 6:15 PM, alexp said:

Normal!

I wouldn't call it normal. My 2020 doesn't crunch at all and never did.

As suggested above, it sounds like his clutch is not completely disengaging.

• Like 1