IGNORED

Vanson Leather

waltroman

I'm in a similar position regarding new gear/bikes/etc .... most will out live me , or at least my usage time ... 

I really  depends on your budget and if you want leather,  Vanson is a classic brand ,  premium jacket. .... its never bad to have nice gear regardless .

Fortunately I have enough gear ... but bikes , might be another story ... :)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, waltroman said:

At soon to be 71 should I consider a Vanson since they are supposed to last forever and my jacket will probably outlive me.  

Only you can decide if you want to spend that money for top quality product, and if your body is worth it.

Will another product that doesn't cost as much meet your needs and standard of quality? Would you regret not spending the money for something you really wanted but settled on less?

What other jackets might be on your short list?

You can always sell your Vanson when done with it, they hold their value well. Or is there someone you would want to have it?

It is a substantial buy-in, but it is top quality.

I've thought about getting a Schott jacket... they're about a grand, so wouldn't be able to bring myself to buy one over the internet.  I'd want to try it on and see and touch them before plunking down that kind of money.  Next time I'm in New England I may have to go to Vanson in Fall River and check it out.  I'm usually not far from there in Worcester MA.

Fall River is a good days ride but not exactly one I consider one I would like to do.  I have a Aerostich Darien But my leather is blown up and need of zippers . 

Is yours repairable? I've had mine for almost 30 years, just had a couple zippers repaired last year. If yours is good quality, it might be worth getting it repaired, seams resewn. If not, there are some good choices out there.

Good luck!

Are you north or south of Fall River?

I have a jacket that been worn probably no more than ten times. I’m thinking it’s worth half of the six hundred bucks I paid for it some years back. IDK what they cost new now? :dontknow:
Size wise I’m about 5’ 8” and two fifteen. (Shoes, wallet and cell considered into that #.) :rofl:
IMG_4478.thumb.jpeg.128dac6c5950962fb186689e4ae8b0bf.jpeg

Wallet,  eh?   Packed down with a lot of cash, eh?   :rofl:

If you want to lose weight, give me the cash and save the glutton-for-punishment gym time.  Just sayin'

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I have a jacket that been worn probably no more than ten times. I’m thinking it’s worth half of the six hundred bucks I paid for it some years back. IDK what they cost new now? :dontknow:
Size wise I’m about 5’ 8” and two fifteen. (Shoes, wallet and cell considered into that #.) :rofl:

Which jacket is it?  From the lining it looks like it might be one of the vented ones...

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I Size wont work for me, thanks

• Like 1

Bought an Aerostich 2 piece ridding suit almost 23 years ago, back when most of my riding community thought only leather was good protection.  I thought that too, but wanted to see what these textile suites were all about. I went to the factory when passing through Duluth on a vacation and ended up getting measured up. The sales floor person asked me to come to a back area to measure me up and try on combinations of their standard sizes.  As we walked back there was a rack of Aerostich jackets, pants and one piece  suits that had been sent back for repairs most were for minor things like a busted zipper and such, but a couple on the end caught my eye.  They were severely rashed up.  The sales person said we won’t be able to fix this one which was a red one piece that seemed to be badly rashed over every square inch.  They told me is was a guy who sent it in had a get off at around 100 mph.  I looked it over close and while the textile was badly abraded in many locations nowhere had it gotten through to the inner layers. That wasted suit was the sales pitch that had me sold on textile riding gear. Bought my Aerostitch that day and have really liked it for all these years.  I only rarely wear my leather anymore. So it will for sure be in my estate sale, prolly right next to my Aerostitch 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

Which jacket is it?  From the lining it looks like it might be one of the vented ones...

No, not vented. I forget the model name offhand but it would zip together pants to make a full suit.

IMG_4479.thumb.jpeg.4b3f9687fb74c597fc080aef74bf11a5.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Vanson leather jackets tend to run on the small side, so order a 48 if you wear 46 etc. I notice their  sales rep is at a lot of motorcycle events so you can try them on.  I love every one of mine. They have snaps for a wind proof vest as well. Also if you are a bit portly, they will not fit well around the gut. Let me know what size you need and I may have one your size. The perfs are nice for the summer.  The Brooks jackets are a bit more loose for that and made almost as well.

7 hours ago, R21A said:

so if you are a bit portly, they will not fit well around the gut.

Agree, don’t purchase a Vanson on a “skinny day”. :spittake: