IGNORED

Speed Limit Indicator Error

ADulay

Just started noticing that my Speed Limit Indicator (upper left hand corner of the TFT display) has been showing speeds that are WAY off for some reason.

First noticed this about two weeks ago when driving through town and a regular 35 mph zone was showing something like 82, 88 and eventually 91 mph.

Got out on the interstate and it pretty much pegged at 96 mph for a long time.

On the off chance that it was just the phone acting up I did a shutdown and brought it back up.   Still the same indications.

Decided to change phones and use my "good" phone to see if it has the same symptoms.   

Yep, still acting up eventually with three different phones.

Anyone else see this on their displays or do most of you have that one turned off?

AD (2022 R1250RT)

• Like 1

Same problem here on my 2023 RT. The speed limit is being displayed in KM. This apparently happened when BMW updated the Connected App for the iPhones, to version 5.1.0.

On previous versions you had a link to report problems with the App, but it looks like BMW North America has removed that link on the US version of the App.

Yesterday my app even displayed the total distance and the distance to the next turn in KM and Meters, but the voice guidance used Miles for directions.

I guess we have to wait until someone sends out a updated update for the BMW Connected APP.

By the way the Android version was updated a week earlier then the Apple version. The Android App deleted all the maps and reinstalled newer maps. But I haven't seen any notifications to update the maps for the iPhone App.

Dennis Andress

The app has a reset button in settings that I’m considering pushing. Says it deletes all data including maps. Maybe something got corrupted in the version change…

I tried to reinstall the app, after deleting it from the iPhone. But no change, so I started to watch some of their YouTube videos.

One of this videos had email address (connectedride@bmw.com) listed and suggested to contact them with any problems.

I send a email, explaining my problem to the email address that is now listed in the App, and also to connectedride@bmw.com.

I did get reply this morning from connectedride@bmw.com, that they assigned a case number to my complaint, in German.

Maybe some additional emails will help them look into this problem a little sooner or maybe not?

• chrisolson featured this topic

Looks like a recent update. Mine is often not showing a speed limit at all or showing a completely different value from a posted speed limit. The navigator shows the correct limit always. Aren't they supposed to run off the same maps?

3 hours ago, profbodryak said:

The navigator shows the correct limit always. Aren't they supposed to run off the same maps?

I read somewhere that the BMW Connected App uses the Tom-Tom maps or what ever it is called, while Garmin/BMW Nav5/6 uses a different supplier.

Neither one of the map data suppliers are very good. The last Garmin Map update has destroyed 2 of the routes planned for START 2024.

But that info belongs somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

I read somewhere that the BMW Connected App uses the Tom-Tom maps or what ever it is called, while Garmin/BMW Nav5/6 uses a different supplier.

Neither one of the map data suppliers are very good. The last Garmin Map update has destroyed 2 of the routes planned for START 2024.

But that info belongs somewhere else.

Yes connectedride app and navigator use Tom Tom mapping.  BMW likely went Tom Tom as their maps tend to be better in most of the world.  Where Garmin has better maps in NA.

• Like 1

I thought the Nav VI uses Garmin maps, same number as Zumo XT. I turned off the Speed Limit display on the TFT as it was wrong most of the time. 

25 minutes ago, 60Aviator said:

I thought the Nav VI uses Garmin maps, same number as Zumo XT. I turned off the Speed Limit display on the TFT as it was wrong most of the time. 

I read somewhere that Garmin switched to a different source for their map data.

But my Nav 6 did have better speed limit information than what is being supplied with the BMW Connected App.

But at least the Speed limit info was in MPH before the update of the Apple version of the App.

It would be interesting to find out if the Android version is also now displaying the speed limit in KM?

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

But my Nav 6 did have better speed limit information than what is being supplied with the BMW Connected App.

But at least the Speed limit info was in MPH before the update of the Apple version of the App.

It would be interesting to find out if the Android version is also now displaying the speed limit in KM?

I use android and it is displaying correctly.

3 hours ago, TSConver said:

I use android and it is displaying correctly.

This proves it is the apple app that is not working correctly. 
Thanks for the info. 

9 hours ago, Bernie said:

Garmin originally used NAVTEQ for their mapping data. However, Nokia acquired Navteq in 2007. It was later rebranded as HERE. In 2015, HERE was sold to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes Benz. Since that time, other companies have purchased minority ownership stakes in HERE. This is all described here on Wikipedia.

The End User License Agreement on both my Garmin Zumo XT and BMW Navigator 6 says the mapping data is owned by HERE. You can find the EULA under Settings | About.

• Like 3

I’m thinking the latest update didn’t fix the problem.

Also, it’s always nice to have an update dumped on you with no notice, AGAIN.  Got on the bike for an early trip this morning and NO MAPS!

Luckily I remembered the routing and got there.  Redid the maps download when I got back home.

This is aggravating when they do that.

AD

IMG_5246.jpeg

• Like 1

I complained about the inadequately tested incorrect coding in last week's BMW Connected iOS app update to connectedride@bmw.com and got the following reply a day later:

"Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

The topic you mentioned has already been reported to us by several users and is currently being processed. We ask for your patience until we can publish an update on this.

Kind Regards,
Jörg Baderschneider
--
BMW Motorrad Connectivity"

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, I knew there would be an answer available. So nothing we can do, it is in the app where I noticed another annoying issue when it continuously tells you to change your location settings. It wants to follow you all the time not just when using the app, and you cannot get rid of the request/order to change. All my maps also got lost without notice and had to reload them, no problem doing that. 

This is unfortunate that QA is so bad wondering if the same team is handling both automobiles and bikes. They are experimenting with so many models of what to charge for and what not. With all map apps on phones the best way would be to just use them through a proper interface/connection (like Apple Car play) and concentrate on making add ons that address the BMW special areas differentiating them from everybody else.

Thanks

H

• Smile 1

By the way, if you use a iPhone to access the BMW Conneted App, the speed limit will display on the TFT in km/h until the next app update. But the TFT will display your actual speed in miles per hour. I don’t know what state you live in, but nowhere in Florida is a section of road with a 115 mph speed limit, except maybe the Daytona Speedway. 🤣
If you use an Android phone your speed limit will display in kg/hr. 

Im in PB area and yes speedometer is in mph as are navigation info as well and alerts. I guess 70 mph or 112kmh is max in our area, no 115 that I know of.
Anyway now we know what's going on so just waiting for the fix. And I can in the meantime convert on the fly if needed. 

57 minutes ago, bimmers said:

Anyway now we know what's going on so just waiting for the fix. And I can in the meantime convert on the fly if needed. 

It would help all the rest of us if you file a complain with BMW-NA and your BMW dealer. Also send a complaint the BMW Connected service team. 

Maybe if more people mention the problem, they will actually try to fix it.

Update: I just returned from a ride and the new app version for the iPhone has fixed speed limit issues. The speed limit is now displayed in mph. I updated the maps as a pre-caution. I did not get a notification requesting to update the map data. 

Yep.  Looks like that particular bug got fixed sometime overnight.

Speed limit is now reading correctly.

AD

• Like 1

Andy… imagine if all your airspeeds on final were 3-4x. I wonder why that stall warning is going off and for some reason the yoke is shaking when I slow beyond 300kts. 😁

Noticed fix as I rode to dealer. 
Updated software but no fault records for key battery warnings?? Again, wait and see if something changed.

h