IGNORED

Multi-control wheel - ever replaced one?

Stresspuppy

As many may know by now, I'm a bit OCD about things and how the bike looks so I have been replacing 'not so pretty' things as I can on my recently new to me RT . One of the last things I want to replace is the multi-control wheel on the left handlebar (see picture below, #4). It is cracked with pieces of the black broken off. I used some JB Weld to try and mold those pieces back in and then use a Testors paint pen, and while that worked, still not so pretty.

The controller works just fine, but see comment about my OCD and how things look. I thought it was just connected to the multi-function switch to the right of it so I found a nice wheel on eBay (same part number for 2013-2018) with the thought I would just take off the left controls, remove the wheel, put on the new wheel, put everything back on the handlebar and, Bob's your uncle, a nice pretty one to replace the faded, broken one. Well, we know how assumptions go. I got the replacement and it has a long wire bundle connected to it. Ok, no problem, I'll just take everything off the left, find where the connector goes and replace. Again, assumptions. That wire goes down under the air box to places unknown. Getting VERY adventurous, I thought it had to be connected under the gas tank somewhere and I could snake the wire bundle through where it needed to go. Assumptions. Took off all the tupperware (not sure where I read that term, but I like it), both sides, and removed the gas tank. Nope, nothing there that is visible or accessible, so it is going somewhere under the airbox. Feeling like just the first three letters of that infamous word at this point. To remove the airbox is a bit more involved because of the clamps on the tubes that go to the cylinders that I don't have a tool for. I'm on the fence about digging any more for something that is truly only cosmetic, but I have the part and I've gotten this far...

Has anyone ever been insane enough to mess with that wheel, or the wires that go to it and where it connects into the main harness?

I have been through the electronic version of the shop manual that I have to see if there was something called out, I have looked at the parts fiche to see if it gives any indications, and I have searched YouTube. No luck thus far. I'm not quite defeated yet, but getting close. I thought this would be a Saturday or maybe a weekend project but it's become quite a bit more. But I'm learning a lot about the bike...

:16:

Let the "you're nuts" comments begin... 

(Side note: many many thanks to @Boxflyer for his boards. There is absolutely no way to keep all the bolts straight without those. My oldest son saw them and said how smart that was. I told him I couldn't take credit of course, just learning from the smart folks here.)

(Other note: I did find this silicone cover for the wheel, but you have to remove all the black from the wheel before it will fit.  https://oversea.7beemer.com/product/wonderwheel/)

RT Left Grip.jpg

I'm of the school that "removing all the black plastic from the wheel" before the new cover will fit is a whole bunch less work and risk than tearing into the bike any further. (And I'd go with the black just to maintain the 'stock' look.)

Good luck with whatever your decision......

Yeah, that’s probably what I’ll do. The part I left out was I didn’t find that wheel cover until AFTER everything was apart. Isn’t that always the way. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Ok, no problem, I'll just take everything off the left, find where the connector goes and replace. Again, assumptions. That wire goes down under the air box to places unknown. Getting VERY adventurous, I thought it had to be connected under the gas tank somewhere and I could snake the wire bundle through where it needed to go. Assumptions. Took off all the tupperware (not sure where I read that term, but I like it), both sides, and removed the gas tank. Nope, nothing there that is visible or accessible, so it is going somewhere under the airbox. Feeling like just the first three letters of that infamous word at this point. To remove the airbox is a bit more involved because of the clamps on the tubes that go to the cylinders that I don't have a tool for. I'm on the fence about digging any more for something that is truly only cosmetic, but I have the part and I've gotten this far..

Morning Stresspuppy

Have you tried removing the wire harness that is hooked to your new wonder wheel? 

On the one on the motorcycle now, have you tried removing the little tabbed cover on the back of your current L/H switch assembly so you can access the connectors?

Post us a picture of the wire side of your new wonder wheel. 

wonder wheel.jpg

L_H switch cover.jpeg

ARGH. I have the wrong part. The listing says 2013 so I looked it up and found the part number - 61-31-7-727-498. This is the same part number from 2013 - 2018. What it looks like is the part I have is actually from 2012 - 61-31-7-704-923. I didn't think to go back further to check. 

The seller has returns so I'll just send it back I guess and see if I can find the correct part, or get the silicone cover previously mentioned. 

:87:(Many cuss words being said at the moment.)

Well, I know a lot more about my bike and how things fit together.

IMG_8542.jpeg

On 12/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, Stresspuppy said:

ARGH. I have the wrong part. The listing says 2013 so I looked it up and found the part number - 61-31-7-727-498. This is the same part number from 2013 - 2018. What it looks like is the part I have is actually from 2012 - 61-31-7-704-923. I didn't think to go back further to check. 

The seller has returns so I'll just send it back I guess and see if I can find the correct part, or get the silicone cover previously mentioned. 

:87:(Many cuss words being said at the moment.)

Well, I know a lot more about my bike and how things fit together.

IMG_8542.jpeg

Sorry to hear. I replaced one on my previously owned '15 RT and it has no wire. Just as in a diagram in your original post, it has a couple of connectors. The entire process shouldn't take nearly as long (just the grip to remove and two connectors with tabs - pretty sure it was only two, the second one is for the heated grip). 

9 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Sorry to hear. I replaced one on my previously owned '15 RT and it has no wire. Just as in a diagram in your original post, it has a couple of connectors. The entire process shouldn't take nearly as long (just the grip to remove and two connectors with tabs - pretty sure it was only two, the second one is for the heated grip). 

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I bought the wrong part (wheel from a 2012 that was marked incorrectly) and it had the long tail (see picture above). The 2013 and above is just the piece like you mention that just snaps out and back in. I returned the incorrect one and now I'm debating a correct used one as it is about twice the price. I'm having to determine how much my OCD for that part looking bad is worth. 

28 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I bought the wrong part (wheel from a 2012 that was marked incorrectly) and it had the long tail (see picture above). The 2013 and above is just the piece like you mention that just snaps out and back in. I returned the incorrect one and now I'm debating a correct used one as it is about twice the price. I'm having to determine how much my OCD for that part looking bad is worth. 

Morning  Stresspuppy

If your wonder wheel still works then you might want to just live with it until a good used one shows up on E-Bay.

As a rule the later the better as it had less time to degrade due to ozone. 

Even new isn't too bad as I believe A&S has it for $234.00 with free shipping     https://www.ascycles.com/

I agree with dirtrider, a used one is the way to go. Sometimes, these parts are hard to come by. I was able to get mine for $125 used (but it came from a 2020 GS if I recall correctly).

Here is one link ($115): https://mototech271.com/products/2014-bmw-r1200gs-k50-left-grip-round-multi-controller-61317727498?currency=USD&variant=44093282910457&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=bd15d5d9ef75&srsltid=AfmBOoqAoJwCxgBhSzt20zGjQeYwf60TGYjG0HWhfsyDVdigTu5uSfc5GcY

Just out of curiosity, you say you are OCD and so I am to an extent with these bike things - what does your bike look like and what else are you trying to replace on it?

1 hour ago, profbodryak said:

Thanks for that link! A place I wasn't aware of. I was looking at one on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/364536207230) but there was small nick in it. I got them down to $120 but what you link to is in much better shape. I'll have to consider that.

1 hour ago, profbodryak said:

Just out of curiosity, you say you are OCD and so I am to an extent with these bike things - what does your bike look like and what else are you trying to replace on it?

This is probably the last thing (famous last words) to clean up/replace. I've replaced the side fairing panels on both sides because the previous owner wiped something on them that looked like a clear-coat that was streaked and bubbly. (See my thread linked below. Open the picture and look at the left panels vs the right). They wiped that stuff on anything black. The panniers and top case have it on the black parts, but it seems ok overall so I'm leaving that alone. I'm going to replace the panel on top of the dash as the previous owner epoxied something up there (radar detector maybe?) and there are big hunks of  the glue/epoxy left on that panel. I knew these things were there when I bought the bike and got a really good deal so I thought I could just live with them. Nope. 

Any other changes at this point are just normal stuff (seat; windscreen possibly; tires because they are badly cupped).

Current wheel:

IMG_8546.jpeg

My bike:

RT-2 2.jpeg

Beautiful bike! I don't think that this is OCD at all, these things would bother a lot of people's eyes. Just a comment on a couple of things - that ebay post has a handlebar that comes with it which you probably don't need. Regardless, I would do these replacements myself. Small nicks in the paint are inevitable, unfortunately and are ok but things you mentioned are not (at least to me).

That gloss you have on the left sided fairing - to me it looks like mcguire's spray or plastic restorer polish (I've tried it myself unfortunately, terrible product because it works more like paint rather than polish). I was able to get it off with goo-gone. It took me a while but it did the trick. It may be something different in your case but resembles the looks of it.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, profbodryak said:

Purchased! @profbodryak I blamed you when my wife looked at me funny for buying yet another part for the bike. But she knows me well. When I said I could just leave it as is and deal with it later she laughed and said “no you won’t”. I guess she was right. Thanks for point me to that. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Purchased! @profbodryak I blamed you when my wife looked at me funny for buying yet another part for the bike. But she knows me well. When I said I could just leave it as is and deal with it later she laughed and said “no you won’t”. I guess she was right. Thanks for point me to that. 

Congrats! In January of 2022 I basically broke the wonder wheel when it froze overnight. I broke it free from ice by forcing it. Back and forward function wouldn't work half the time ever since until I replaced it months later. The amount of happiness I had after a replacement is difficult to describe 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1