IGNORED

ESA Power Test

81delorean

I've done some searching and can't find anything so here I am. Pretty sure my esa is dead, is there a way to hook up power to the shock plug and see if it will move up/down? I'd just like to see if it makes any noise or what does/doesn't happen. Thanks in advance.  

2 hours ago, 81delorean said:

I've done some searching and can't find anything so here I am. Pretty sure my esa is dead, is there a way to hook up power to the shock plug and see if it will move up/down? I'd just like to see if it makes any noise or what does/doesn't happen. Thanks in advance.  

Afternoon 81delorean

Find then unplug the strut 2 wire blue motor connector with the orange wire 

black wire going to it.  Then apply 12v B+ to orange wire & 12v B- to the black wire  (obviously on the strut side not the bike side). Then reverse the connection with 12v B- to orange wire & 12v B+ to the black wire.

Do it quickly to begin with just to see if you can get movement as you don't want to burn the motor out if stuck.

Once (or if)  you can get it moving then you can run it longer in each direction to cycle it a few times.  

Once (if) you can get it moving then try a little light lubrication. 

There was also a BMW service bulletin to update the rear strut firmware (BMW dealer) as there was a later firmware update that allowed more power to be sent to the rear strut motor.