IGNORED

Oil level warning switch error?

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

2013 R1200R 

I regularly get the “oil pressure switch” error 

can’t remember the code, but that’s what it says.

can’t figure much about it.

4 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

2013 R1200R 

I regularly get the “oil pressure switch” error 

can’t remember the code, but that’s what it says.

can’t figure much about it.

Morning Hadabadachada

Is it an (oil pressure switch) or an (oil level low) warning? 

Do you get a red or yellow dash warning light? 

Your thread heading says "Oil level warning switch error" your main thread says “oil pressure switch” error. Big difference between them as an "oil level warning" doesn't mean much if the oil level is checked & OK. An oil pressure switch type error could be pointing to low or no oil pressure. 

The usual problem is (oil level low) showing not (oil pressure switch) warning. 

Hadabadachada

Sorry, 

“ oil level switch error”

I just see it sometimes when I hook up the GS911 there’s never any kinds dash warning or anything. I just see that fault sometimes when I hook up the 911

always curious about it.

my oil level is probably low I guess? 
seems like something that would be nice to see as a dash warning, to tell me to put oil, it’s low. 

19 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

Sorry, 

“ oil level switch error”

I just see it sometimes when I hook up the GS911 there’s never any kinds dash warning or anything. I just see that fault sometimes when I hook up the 911

always curious about it.

my oil level is probably low I guess? 
seems like something that would be nice to see as a dash warning, to tell me to put oil, it’s low. 

Morning Hadabadachada

That is probably not abnormal if your oil level is a little low. The actual low oil warning (for the dash readout) is set up for hot engine,  level motorcycle, idling. If those are not met then the low oil level setting a fault is possible.   I'm really not sure how the 1200R is set up in regards to low oil warning.  It's very possible it is different than the 1200RT. 

Hadabadachada

Since I’ve seen it just about every time I hook up the 911, I just clear it and figure, it’s something my bike isn’t equipped with?? 

shrug

i sure would love an indication that oil is getting low since my bike seems to use some. 

I guess the sticker on the gas fill is all I get

”check oil level regularly” 

1 hour ago, Hadabadachada said:

would be nice to see as a dash warning

I’m not familiar with the R, but it might have a dash warning. All my BMW’s back to 1979 have. 

next time you change your oil, after draining, turn the key on without cranking. If you have a dash light, it will likely come on. 

• Thanks 1
Hadabadachada
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Doesn't the motor have an oil sight glass for checking the level?  :dontknow:

Yeah I just found mine, on the opposite side of the fill,

so I find myself reusing my drain plug crush washer 4 times when I over fill it, check, drain some, check, drain some, check, drain some, check.

I do everything in a manor that gets people on this forum to wonder if I graduated elementary school. 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
DaveTheAffable
On 12/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, Hadabadachada said:

Yeah I just found mine, on the opposite side of the fill,

so I find myself reusing my drain plug crush washer 4 times when I over fill it, check, drain some, check, drain some, check, drain some, check.

I do everything in a manor that gets people on this forum to wonder if I graduated elementary school. 

The stupidest question you could possibly have… is the one you don’t ask. None of us were born, knowing the things that we know now. 😊

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

There it is.

no idea.

Morning Hadabadachada

Was the motorcycle on the side stand when that fault was trapped?  The oil level sensor is only accurate when the motorcycle is upright, warm,  side stand retracted, plus a certain length idle time. 

With only a current frequency of (1) but past history of faults it doesn't seem to have a stuck float or constant electrical issue as it comes & goes.  You should have a dash warning if the float is/was stuck.  

BMW had a similar issue on early 1200 bikes & that was corrected with a new design oil level sensor that protruded into the sump oil a bit farther. 

Look in your riders manual (probably around page 40 give or take a few), or look in the index for (oil level warning). There are a number of criteria that have to be met for the oil level system to function & give correct dash readout data. I'm not (personally) familiar with the 1200R low oil level warning operation as I have ridden a few but never paid much attention to the low oil level system. 

I think there are few different dash configurations on the 1200R so make sure that you are looking at the correct dash info for your particular motorcycle. 

It's possible the trapped fault is showing up when the low oil warning system float is outputting a signal but the motorcycle hasn't met all the criteria to properly use that signal. 

If you are not seeing an actual low oil level dash warning then it's possible the system is working correctly but the fault trap is due to the motorcycle just not meeting the correct conditions for the low oil level warning to function. 

In any case it isn't anything to be too concerned about as the low oil level warning is just a prompt telling you to check your oil level using the sight glass at next opportunity or fuel stop. 

Next time you hook up your GS-911 & see a (present) low oil level fault, if the motorcycle is idling on the side stand then sit on it, straighten it up, then retract the side stand. Then see if the current fault disappears.  

Or if you are running it on the center stand then make sure the side stand is retracted?