IGNORED

Road Hazzard on the way to the UN

Bud

From the Colorado Beemers web site:

"One wouldn't think that the major interstate highway across Colorado would make the top of the list of hazardous roadways. CDOT has temporary orange markers at the Frisco on ramp and east of the tunnel saying "hazardous roadway next 9 miles". For good reason. The road is spalling and eroding throughout the stretch. The most hazardous for motorbikes, however, is at the entrance to the tunnel, in both directions. PLEASE NOTE: WHEN ENTERING THE TUNNEL ON YOUR BIKE, BE SURE TO USE THE LEFT LANE! There is heavy rutting and deterioration in the right lane most of the way through the tunnel. Transitioning from bright sun to the dark tunnel doesn't allow you to see it. No information was found as to when they plan to make repairs, but they normally work on it each summer...giving rise to another hazard! Please be careful.

Update: CDOT has begun work on part of the roadway, but there remains plenty of bad roadway. Please exercise care."

Ride safe. thumbsup.gif

For those of us not from the area, I'm guessing you mean I-70? Where are the portions of the highway you reference located?

Joe Frickin' Friday
For those of us not from the area, I'm guessing you mean I-70? Where are the portions of the highway you reference located?

Sounds like the stretch around (and in) the Eisenhower Tunnel, which is somewhere between exit 205 and 216. Tunnel is boring anyway; far more interesting to take Loveland Pass between those same two exits. Consult your Colorado map for details. thumbsup.gif

That's a big 10-4, Rubber Duck... thumbsup.gif

Yee gads. I have this to look forward to for the trip? You want me to put the CB in the truck too? Or are you just going to work on your truckers tan and try to pick some lot lizards up?

That's a big 10-4, Rubber Duck... thumbsup.gif

Yee gads. I have this to look forward to for the trip? You want me to put the CB in the truck too? Or are you just going to work on your truckers tan and try to pick some lot lizards up?

As long as we're in the "rocking chair" and stay in front of those "squealer/clucking cabs", we'll be fine, good buddy... tongue.gif

Sorry for the incomplete information. dopeslap.gif

Yes, it is the Eisenhower Tunnel just past the Highway 6 exit (exit 216) on I 70.

Highway 6 goes over Loveland Pass and connects back to I70 at Dillon.

Calvin  (no socks)

I will avoid the area...

but....

I have a strengthening Tropical Storm bearing down on me. I hope all the rain is gone by departure time Friday 12:00

dopeslap.gif

I will avoid the area...

but....

I have a strengthening Tropical Storm bearing down on me. I hope all the rain is gone by departure time Friday 12:00

dopeslap.gif

Sounds like the perfect excuse to leave now. thumbsup.gif
From the Colorado Beemers web site:

"One wouldn't think that the major interstate highway across Colorado would make the top of the list of hazardous roadways. CDOT has temporary orange markers at the Frisco on ramp and east of the tunnel saying "hazardous roadway next 9 miles". For good reason. The road is spalling and eroding throughout the stretch. The most hazardous for motorbikes, however, is at the entrance to the tunnel, in both directions. PLEASE NOTE: WHEN ENTERING THE TUNNEL ON YOUR BIKE, BE SURE TO USE THE LEFT LANE! There is heavy rutting and deterioration in the right lane most of the way through the tunnel. Transitioning from bright sun to the dark tunnel doesn't allow you to see it. No information was found as to when they plan to make repairs, but they normally work on it each summer...giving rise to another hazard! Please be careful.

Update: CDOT has begun work on part of the roadway, but there remains plenty of bad roadway. Please exercise care."

Ride safe. thumbsup.gif

I rode through there a couple of weeks ago. There is road-repaving on the east bound lanes on the west side of the Eisehower tunnel. Road conditions will be changing frequently as CDOT does annual maintenance.

1). FWIW, it's not as bad as the warning our club posted reads.

2). On motorcycles you're likely to stay in the left lanes ANYWAY as most of the slower traffic is to the right.

None-the-less, be aware it's summer in the snowbelt states and this is the time of year for maintenance.

Regards,

Mike O

Archived