IGNORED

Fuse #2 10 amp

Keitht

I have a 2009 BMW R1200 RTP.  I found a fuse blown located under the seat marked #2 10 amp.  It blows every time I put new one in. It appears everything is working so not sure what this services . I can not find any wiring diagrams and no help with the BMW service . Any ideas? Thanks 

43 minutes ago, Keitht said:

I have a 2009 BMW R1200 RTP.  I found a fuse blown located under the seat marked #2 10 amp.  It blows every time I put new one in. It appears everything is working so not sure what this services . I can not find any wiring diagrams and no help with the BMW service . Any ideas? Thanks 

Evening Keitht 

That is difficult to answer with confidence. BMW police bikes were specialized for different police departments so the fuses are sometimes delegated to protect different things depending what the police department  specified or needed. 

How many fuses in that fuse box? If it is an 8 fuse box then typically fuse #2 (10 amp) is used for "police radio & helmet headset" but this sure isn't a given, as mentioned above it can be specific per department. 

44 minutes ago, Keitht said:

That could have been used to power Authority equipment that has since been removed. Poor removal (hack-job) can leave extra wires that are not needed and short to ground. This is common on run-out Authority bikes, in my experience. You say everything works so it is probably not necessary.

10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Keitht 

That is difficult to answer with confidence. BMW police bikes were specialized for different police departments so the fuses are sometimes delegated to protect different things depending what the police department  specified or needed. 

How many fuses in that fuse box? If it is an 8 fuse box then typically fuse #2 (10 amp) is used for "police radio & helmet headset" but this sure isn't a given, as mentioned above it can be specific per department. 

12 hours ago, Keitht said:

There are 10 totaled 

Evening Keitht

That doesn't match what I have so about all you can do is trace the wires to their destination ,of just disregard if everything works. 

The 2009 BMW 1200RT doesn't use any fuses for the engine, dash, or accessories as those are electronically (computer) protected so any fuses that are there are not used for powertrain or main functional components. Those 10 fuses were for authority type usage & most of the authority type stuff is usually removed before auction or sale. 

Thank you.  I’ll work on tracing it back. All the lights and siren still work but the white take down lights do not so I’ll look at that too

1 hour ago, Keitht said:

I rechecked it and it is a 8 fuse panel 

Afternoon Keitht

Then most likely (but not cast-in-stone) it was what I posed above.