IGNORED

R1300 maintenance

rounder jim

I have been watching a lot of the u-tube videos on the new GS1300. But no one talks about maintaining the bike. So I thought I would bring up . Dthe subject here and see what comes of it

I first saw the new bike at Barber Motorsport Speedway during vintage racing back in mid October. BMW was the featured  mark this year and had a tremendous display and presence there. I'm guessing they spent over 1 million dollars for that event. They brought 2 R1300 GS's there. Naturally I got on the ground to check things out.

It appears that the drain plug is not on the very bottom of the engine but rather on the bottom side of the right front of the engine. I asked while there and couldn't get a definitive answer. I asked Shawn when the bike was at my Illinois dealer and he said I was right but he had to get down and look also telling me no one had asked before.  Also the filter is not on the left side but on the right side about 5" up from the bottom if my memory is correct. The filter is a cartridge type located behind a plate. I asked about oil capacity and was told it is now 5 quarts.

Does the added oil capacity mean longer oil change intervals?  I doubt it .  Will the cost of the filter be less than the old spin on filters? Will Brad find us the part number from the company that makes those filters so we don't have to pay through our noses at the dealer?  

I won't be buying a new GS as I have been riding RT's for a few thousand miles now and am going to wait for the new RT. By then we should know the answers to my questions and many more to the questions I haven't thought of asking yet. 

I hope everyone still has good enough weather to be riding

Oh yeah one other thing . The oil site glass is not a round piece of glass. Now it is a vertical tube on the right side of the engine near the front

Too bad we cannot get a manual anymore.  Going to be hard to do anything but take it to the dealer without that shop manual.  From the pictures I have seen also looks like the shiftcam actuators have moved but are of the same design.  Timing chains on the right are in the front now left is in the back.  Looks like the cam arrangement is similar maybe the 1250 jigs will fit it.  Or since they are opposite of each other only one jig will be needed.

Dealer on Friday told me he is hearing that the first 1300s will not be in the US until February at the earliest. 

Like the other new BMW models that have come out since BMW stopped selling service manuals in 2021 there will be a paucity of information required for DIY or independent tech servicing. The dealership will be happy to see you.

14 minutes ago, RadioFlyer said:

Like the other new BMW models that have come out since BMW stopped selling service manuals in 2021 there will be a paucity of information required for DIY or independent tech servicing. The dealership will be happy to see you.

Yep at least on my 23 1250 the manuals are floating around (pirated) and Brad knows them inside and out.  Not sure we will see any pirated 1300 manuals since if a dealer prints them or pdfs them his business is listed on the pages and he would be in deep do do if the mothership found out.

Some of your questions will be answered in the rider's manual, which is available online (link below).  The maintenance schedule is on page 280.  Oil & filter changes are every 6,000 miles.  Inspecting and lubricating the driveshaft is required every 12,000 miles.  Driveshaft is REPLACED every 48,000 miles.

BMW R1300GS Rider's Manual (U.S.) R_0M23_RM_0223_07.pdf

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, TSConver said:

Too bad we cannot get a manual anymore.  Going to be hard to do anything but take it to the dealer without that shop manual.  From the pictures I have seen also looks like the shiftcam actuators have moved but are of the same design.  Timing chains on the right are in the front now left is in the back.  Looks like the cam arrangement is similar maybe the 1250 jigs will fit it.  Or since they are opposite of each other only one jig will be needed.

Dealer on Friday told me he is hearing that the first 1300s will not be in the US until February at the earliest. 

The "robo" narration on some of these YouTube video drives me nuts. I don't see how anyone finds that acceptable! It does look like a very sweet piece of machinery!

It seems to be a thorough redesign. When I first heard that BMW didn't add full liquid cooling to the 1300 engine (a surprise to me), I thought they only added a little displacement to call it a 1300. But that's clearly not the case. I'm baffled by the cam chain arrangement;  what the heck is driving the right front chain? Odd design. And 48K-mile driveshaft change? Odd too. So oil changes are apparently the same at 6K miles, but what about valve clearance checks? I bet probably 12K miles as well. Curious about the power curve compared to the 1250, as well as weight differences. Guess we'll hear more about the new engine when it comes stateside.