IGNORED

TPS Removal/Installation

narcosis

My RT is at Cycle Gear getting a new rear tire.  The sensor is loose and they don't have the tool to tighten it.  They said it looks like a torx.  So, without me driving 60 miles one way to figure it out, anyone know the bit size?  The manual was no help.  It just gives the thread measurement and torque value. 

3 hours ago, JoeInTUS said:

My shop manual says 9NM torque.  The bolt holding the pressure sensor in place should have medium strength Loctite on it also.  

Have you considered the possibility that the shop manual is assuming the old banana style sensors and not the new form factor?

Schrader says 6 Nm. They make the part.

T40 and 6Nm.jpg

• Like 1

If Cycle gear does not have a set of torx bits how do they remove your rear wheel or did you bring them the wheel.  Too late now but look for a Harbor freight.

louisvillebob

I took my wheel to Cycle Gear, they called me when tire was removed, and I came back and removed and replaced the sensor.  Cumbersome, but it worked.

On the subject of TPMS , I just wanted to share what I found to be a somewhat cheaper alternative to the OEM TPMS... 

My 2019 RT came with the new (non-banana style) TPMS sensors.  When the rear sensor was damaged by a local shop the night before I left for Sparta NC.  While at FART that year Boxflyer replaced the damaged sensor with the banana style sensor using a spare bolt he had (longer bolt required for the banana style).  It is still working fine.  Last month my front sensor quit working and based on this K1600 forum article I replaced it with KTM part# 61412033000, which is also made by Schrader.  It's good to know the RDC system still works with non-OEM units. 

Here's the link to the article.  

https://www.k1600forum.com/threads/cheaper-oem-tpms-sensors-found-not-chinese.196550/#post-2512628

• Like 1

Hey Joe, how many miles do you have on that Mars Red Metallic RT?

Mine just turned over 51,000.  I still have the spare wheels which have the TPMS sensors installed, but have yet to mount the new tires on.

I guess my sensors may be next.   :facepalm:

Thanks!

Hello sir.  Only 19k but it was almost 2yrs old from production date when I bought it in 20 with 862 miles.  I think it’s a battery life thing.  Some last longer than others I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I changed the sensors on my 2018 RT at 50K. They would stop reading the tire pressure after 50-100 miles, and then a 1/2 hour later they would work again. I do have another cheap set, I bought to replace them, but decided to replace the complete bike instead. If you need them,  let me know.