IGNORED

2023 Suzuki V-Strom 800DE Test Ride Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2023 Suzuki V-Strom 800DE Review intro

Suzuki’s all-new V-Strom 800DE is a capable new player in the midsize off-road ADV segment

I don’t recall anything about Suzuki’s all-new V-Strom 800DE jumping off the page when it was first revealed. The 776cc parallel twin “Dual Explorer” was promised to be Suzuki’s more off-road-capable offering. There was no build-up to Suzuki’s grand reveal of the 800DE—a daring departure from Suzuki’s V-twin-powered adventure line. The spec sheet didn’t prompt much intrigue, either, especially with a curb weight of 507 lb.

That said, there are some important lessons to be learned here. Topping that list, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to create a damn good machine. And you can’t read a bike by its paper specs alone. You have to ride a new motorcycle to really know what you’re dealing with. And the master chefs at Suzuki deserve three Michelin stars for cooking up the exceptional 800DE. It’s in the execution, the tantalizing chassis structure, ground-gripping response, perfectly balanced with savory overall stability that will blow you away, and leave you telling your buddies, “You gotta try this!”

{youtube}pdiZAy6Q_uU{/youtube}

• Order Up!

On asphalt, the V-Strom 800DE is a delight. Liquid-smooth through turns with plenty of torque to make canyon carving a blast. It’s comfortable and stable at speed with great (but very neutral) ergonomics and a nice cockpit. Freeway miles are easy and relaxing, yet it’s nimble enough to get sporty. Overall, it’s a very nice balance between stability and agility. But let’s get right to the heart of our stew—off-road performance—where this model seeks to stand apart from the V-Strom lineup.

Some bikes, as well-behaved as they may be on the road, can completely forget their off-road manners. Once the chattery hard pack of the truck trail began, I winced as I waited to find where the 800DE would come unsettled. Surely some of the bumpy switchback turns would give me a little bit of a pucker, especially on its 80/20 tires. But an unsettled moment never came.

The V-Strom’s stable and comfortable quality invited me to push harder as I discovered that this rock-solid stability was only the beginning of where the chassis truly shone. As things get more aggressive, you’ll find the 800DE soaking up rider input, and responding with that same familiar razor-sharp handling that Suzuki’s RM-Z dirt bikes are famous for. From a standing position, you’ll feel the handling react instantly to a shift in your weight. Its responsive dynamics build your confidence in the machine as the bike dances along bumpy, rocky roads with precision.

Suzuki VStrom800DE 2

At the core of this excellent balance is the 800DE’s steel-tube backbone-style frame, which Suzuki designed around the all-new compact parallel-twin engine. Those master chassis chefs not only factored in how engine placement affects handling but also where the rider’s hip point sits—in this case, further forward than other ADV models—allowing the rider to shift their weight to optimum effect.

This lightweight-handling V-Strom might not be the lightest on the scale, but this is why I don’t pay much attention to those figures. A responsive chassis will always feel lighter than a sluggish-handling bike, no matter what the scales say. In fact, if it’s a few extra pounds that contribute to this glued-to-the-ground feel, I’ll take it. The plush Showa suspension certainly assists in the planted quality as it stays quite active in soaking up the terrain.

The suspension, however, is also the point at which you might find the pucker factor—it is soft, very soft. The forks are pretty easy to blow through. It’s very comfortable and compliant when you’re moving, but when the wheels come up, prepare for a solid clack. A G-out, water breaks or even a little altitude will likely result in bottoming one or both ends.

Fortunately, Suzuki was kind enough to give the 800DE a very big window of suspension performance. The Showa forks have compression and rebound damping adjustability, and even spring preload at the fork’s caps. We went a half-turn in on each side to give it a little better holdup, which was a step in the right direction, even under heavy front braking. But more aggressive off-road riders will likely head for a suspension re-valve and perhaps heavier springs. Slap on some more aggressive rubber while you’re at it and you’ll have a pretty potent off-road ADV weapon on your hands. In fact, it’s something we’re looking forward to. Until then, simply stay low to the ground and you can still have a blast in the dirt.

Suzuki VStrom800DE sus

The Showa shock is link mounted, also adjustable, with compression and rebound clickers. It also features a preload adjust knob for quick settings changes. This is a nice touch if you occasionally travel with a passenger, or bags, or both. You’ll find the preload adjust knob attached to the right-side passenger footpeg mount, which I have to take a moment to whine about. I usually remove the passenger pegs straight away so I don’t run the risk of catching a boot, but I couldn’t remove them from the 800DE without somewhere else to mount the preload knob. However, they never got in the way.

In the power department, the 800DE scores another high mark with its all-new 776cc parallel twin engine. You have a choice of three engine modes: Active (sport mode), Basic (normal), and Comfort (rain or slippery surfaces). If sportier road riding is your thing, then Active mode is for you. I found it a bit too pipey and revvy for my limited street skills, so I rode in Basic mode most of the time, both on the road and off. No matter the mode, acceleration is solid and smooth, pouring on the power in a predictable manner and never skipping a beat. The ride-by-wire throttle keeps the bike responsive, with crisp response when you crack your wrist.

Suzuki VStrom800DE engine

The six-speed gearbox is well spaced for plenty of versatility, as well. Gear spacing is even and balanced, in keeping with the smooth, predictable power of the engine. One thing I noticed when I was off-road, however, and only when I was off-road, was that the jump from first to second was a bit tall. I only noticed this when crawling through technical terrain, such as loose rocks or bumpy switchback turns. I’d rather run a gear high and lug it than to be at higher RPMs in first gear, which can be lurchy and less stable, but the gap is a bit too wide to let you do that. The off-roader in me would rather have some shorter ratios in the low gears and space it out more up top.

Shifting was slick and precise, although the bi-directional quickshifter could use some ironing out at low speeds. I found it worked best north of third gear and in the higher RPMs, but clutchless shifts in the lower gears were only smooth when I was leaning into the throttle. Simply accelerating down the street, however, clutchless shifts were a little chunky, so I resorted to using a touch of clutch.

At the controls, the V-Strom offers a tasteful five-inch TFT display where you will find several other features in its electronics suite. The 800DE is not equipped with an IMU (inertial measurement unit), which would gift you with a bevy of “smart” features and rider aids that many of its midsize ADV competitors offer. But the V-Strom still packs a lot of performance versatility into its proprietary Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.), such as traction control modes, ABS modes, and the blissful ability to shut them all off.

Suzuki VStrom800DE screen

Engine modes, ABS and TC parameters are each adjusted individually, meaning that there are no preset modes such as “Off-Road” that will put you in the right combination for all three. The easy-to-navigate system will let you quickly set these three inputs, which will remain set until you turn off the key (in which case only the ABS will default back on). Traction control offers levels 1, 2 and 3 for increasing levels of sensitivity. Suzuki also introduced its new Gravel mode, traction control specially calibrated for off-road conditions, which would likely be a welcome aid for riders not yet comfortable breaking traction.

ABS offers two modes, for varying levels of intervention. OFF will disengage rear ABS only while the front remains active, which I found to be just fine off-road. It all adds up to a relatively simple and easy-to-use electronics suite, and while the lack of an IMU might be a strike against the overall performance capabilities, it also keeps the cost of the 800DE down.

• More to Love

Other highlights of the 800DE are the ergonomics and excellent stand-over position. The narrow profile and ample knee room allow you to dance with this beauty. The V-Strom reacts to your every move and dares you to keep twisting the throttle.

Suzuki VStrom800DE standing

The headlight is also a strong point of the 800DE. Perhaps a little too strong. But at least you’ll be seen!

The Nissin brakes are also very powerful, a pair of dual-piston calipers pinching 310mm discs up front. When paired with 8.7 inches of squishy suspension, be prepared for the bike to pitch forward under hard front braking. This caught me by surprise a couple times while braking into turns, but making sure to link both front and rear braking action on twisty roads was the best way to keep the DE stable through the twisties. But as mentioned earlier, dialing in a bit more preload on the fork spring seemed to be a step in the right direction here.

A manually adjustable windscreen would be nice. Having to remove all four bolts and physically remove and reattach the windscreen is a pain. Another wish list item would be cruise control, at least as an option.

Suzuki VStrom800DE wind

• The Bottom Line

I’ll admit, I’m nitpicking at this point, and don’t want to lose the message that there is something unique here. The 800DE is the most capable ADV bike in the V-Strom lineup, so much so that it makes me wish they had named it something different. This model deserves its own identity because it will very likely have the more aggressive off-road ADV crowd taking a second look at Suzuki. Not to mention, it’s the only V-Strom with a parallel twin instead of a V-twin.

It may not have burst onto the scene with much pizzaz, but the V-Strom 800DE is easily one of the most intriguing bikes of the year, and proof positive that a great bike isn’t simply on a spec sheet. Ingredients become greater than the sum of their parts when you know what you’re doing in the kitchen. Bon appetit!

Suzuki VStrom800DE 3

MSRP: $11,599

SuzukiCycles.com

PROS:

• Responsive chassis gives excellent off-road agility
  • Smooth, capable engine with very versatile power (three engine modes)
  • Fully adjustable suspension
  • Dash and electronics are clean, easy to adjust

CONS:

• Ultra-soft suspension
  • Quickshifter could use fine-tuning
  • Toolless-adjustable windscreen would be nice

Jean Turner portrait NEWJean Turner is a freelance journalist/photographer in the powersports industry. She has been riding and racing motocross and enduro for over 18 years, during which she has worked for a number of publications such as Cycle News, Dirt Rider magazine, Dirt Bike magazine, Racer X, Motocross Action Magazine, and international publications in Europe, Japan, and Australia. Turner grew up riding in the Southern California desert with her family and now travels the world as a media correspondent covering and shooting motorcycle races, manufacturer intros, and off-road/adventure tours. Follow her travels and stories on Instagram @kalamity_jean.

Read more ...

View the full article