IGNORED

NCAAF Playoffs

Skywagon

John Ranalletta

I'd rather watch a test pattern than a football game on TV, but wonder, when you self-identify 5 major football conferences and create a 4-team playoff did you not see this coming?

• Like 2

I won’t watch pro; however college football (recorded to eliminate commercials) is pretty fun to watch. Seeing all the young folks in the stands is pretty fun. Go to a college game sometime and you will be surprised how much energy youth generates… oh for those days in college so long ago

• Like 1

I never understood the goofballs in the stands at pro games with their shirts off whooping it up. College ball, sure, I get it, I like the energy. Attending college football in person, even the lower levels, is quite fun.

Couldn't tell you which four teams got into the NCAA finals, except that Florida State didn't and everybody is butt hurt because of it.

16 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Florida State didn't and everybody is butt hurt because of it.

There's something to be said about having an undefeated record and not going to the finals..........

• Like 1

Love the game of football, though I think it is going to be a short time until college ruins it with all the changes. Might as well call it pre- pro. For me it used to be a love of sport and now as they say, it's just a business.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

There's something to be said about having an undefeated record and not going to the finals..........

I have to agree with you on that one. Championship selection seems a bit arbitrary and quite subjective. In the old days, we'd call it politics. Maybe not so old, still.

If I was the picker....it would have been Michigan, Texas, Washington, and FSU.  Why Texas number 2....well not just an alma mater...I think they are truly better than the teams behind them and may be the best team at this moment.  The hard one for me to leave out is Georgia.  FSU would have been in my pick just because of their record, but I don't think they are a top 4.  I think Michigan, Georgia, Texas, Washington, and Bama are all stronger teams than FSU...but pretty hard to deny a team that just finds a way to go 13-0.

28 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

college ruins it with all the changes. Might as well call it pre- pro

Very much against paying college athletes.  It will ruin the sport in time.  The best kids will seek the highest payout and eventually their will only be a handful of good teams.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Championship selection seems a bit arbitrary and quite subjective.

that's how it used to be and everyone dealt with it until 8 or so years when the 4 team playoff was instigated. throughout the season the cfp committee used one criteria for the standings, results. the day after the season was over they reverted back to the old days because results no longer suited their desired outcome, i.e. the most popular matchups producing the most lucrative tv packages. 

do i think alabama and georgia are better than fsu, probably but who really knows and we never will. bama barely beat georgia, almost lost to auburn and did lose to texas. texas lost to rival oklahoma, subjective. florida state didn't lose to anyone, results.

college football is (was) the last bastion of pure competition and performance, it fills 80-l20,000 seat stadiums all over america every saturday in fall and is watched by millions on tv, last year it brought in l6 billion dollars.

6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

deny a team that just finds a way to go 13-0.

This....right here. :thumbsup:

PS: The fact that their last game was with their back-up QB proves to me that they should have been picked.

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

This....right here. :thumbsup:

PS: The fact that their last game was with their back-up QB proves to me that they should have been picked.

it was the 3rd string quarterback, a true freshman fresh out of high school. the backup suffered a late hit by a florida gator (who was ejected) in the previous game and was still showing possible signs of concussion a week later for the acc championship game so the coach kept him on the bench for safety. tate rodemaker (the backup) came in for jordon travis when he broke an ankle in the previous louisville game who the noles trounced anyway. rodemaker isn't as dynamic as travis but still a good throwing and running quarterback as he proved. he'll be healed and ready for any bowl game by late december and the committee knew it. travis was in route to be a heismann candidate, he isn't bitter at all and only cares about the team.

mike norvell keeps saying they're a really good group of guys, they're an amazing group that's shown extraordinary perseverance in the face of adversity, it's one of those special traits you sometimes get a glimpse of in college football.  we're not butt hurt, we're pissed off and those are just a few of the reasons.

• Like 1