IGNORED

Handlebar "Extension Rod"

81delorean

Hey all, just curious if anyone has seen, have, or know where I could get these "handlebar extension rod" from? I can only find them for 2010 and newer bikes. Seems like a pretty handy way to mount some accessories if need be. Any idea?  On a side note, I took the bike out for a couple of hours yesterday, this will only be the third time I've ridden it since I've had it. It's all starting to click with me now. I'm getting used to the motor, shaft drive and the handling. The bike is deceptively fast. It was 47F out, I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and found the stock seat on the high position and the windscreen all the way up was pretty good for me with wind protection. I had just a little wind coming around on my arms and shoulders which I like in the summertime. I'm going to get some new tires sometime in the next few months and go with a different brand/model of tire. I won't start a tire thread but the bike doesn't handle quite like I expected and read about and I believe it's due to the tires on it now. I'm also coming from a 650 Vstrom that handled unbelievably well so I'm still trying to be open minded and not compare the two. Anyway, thanks for the input on the "extension rods" if there is any. 

I think this is what you're interested in and i wasn't overly impressed with what i received.

20231204_064646.thumb.jpg.f6015311fe7f064793dba8942b642ad8.jpg

Mine was bought from Aliexpress  (link)

I had to modify it slightly to allow it to fit without hitting the bar upright.  I ground down the edge closest to the bar.   Even so, the original bolt was too short and would barely allow thread engagement.   Once installed, it didn't allow much room for my Quadlock to be mounted and would also prevent the clamp on the Quadlock from being swiveled to the degree i wanted.   I ended up going with a dash mount for my GPS as i'm not a fan of having things mounted on the bars.  Also, i just couldn't seem to get the Quadlock oriented to where my phone wouldn't obscure the speedo or some part of the dash.  I added their swivel mount but it still didn't do the trick.   Hope this helps.   Here's a couple more pics showing the point of interference and the limited space to connect your accessories.   Cheers.

20231204_064701.thumb.jpg.33d01b2569d3cb2bd8fe1527d85e4aba.jpg

20231204_064726.thumb.jpg.197468e43f7bff21d65d7946eb36e0b7.jpg

That is what I was looking at. I looked on Aliexpress but must not have looked deep enough. It seemed like a good idea but after reading your post I'm not sure that it is anymore. 

I have a ram ball mount on my clutch fluid cover already, but I'm not sure how much weight I really want to put on it and risk something happening to the screws/threads of the cover. I had some aluminum plate sitting in the garage so I made a dash mount that goes over the top of the dash for a GPS if I decide to use it. I need to get it welded and then I'll stick a ramball on it. Maybe those two will serve me for what I need. I would like to have a cup holder somewhere on the bike but haven't found a spot for one yet. I thought maybe the rod extension would be a decent spot, maybe I'll just do without. 

3 hours ago, 81delorean said:

haven't found a spot for one yet

I used the Ramball mount that replaces a handlebar riser bolt.....used two of them with great success. Keeps the extra weight in the center so that it doesn't cause steering issues. I don't like the reservoir mounts and avoid them if at all possible.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I used the Ramball mount that replaces a handlebar riser bolt.....used two of them with great success. Keeps the extra weight in the center so that it doesn't cause steering issues. I don't like the reservoir mounts and avoid them if at all possible.

Any way you could post a picture of it? 

11 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I did the same using Ram Mount 367-B 8mm bolts to replace one bar riser bolt on either side. These support my small frame IPhone in an X-Grip on one side and GPS on the other.  The boxer motor vibrates the bar ends a little too much IMO to consider using reservoir or perch Ram mounts. 

Here is a couple of views. The X-Grip on the left holds my phone. My devices do partially obscure the speedometer and tachometer. I am 5’ 6” and going down the road the speedometer is visible from 15 to 120 mph. My bike does have bar risers. 

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

• Like 1