IGNORED

How is your wiring

Rougarou

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I've seen worse.

13 years? It's fine, wouldn't worry about it.

ya, no concerns but i know some folks go a bit overboard on cable management :grin:

14 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

What?  No tape?

prolly some down the line, just don’t remember if I did that wiring it up

thats two stebels, ctek line, gps, usb power and hot gear line

11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Been this way for over 13 years

Oh man - that wiring looks like it will last no more than 160 months...

• Haha 1

One thing I did to clean up the direct connections to the battery was made a bus bar from flattened 1/2 copper pipe. I first sanded the tarnish off, then flattened it with a 2 lb sledge hammer. I drilled holes in it for screws. I put some copper antisieze on the bar to reduce the oxidation and fastened wire connectors to it with stainless steel nuts and bolts. I'll try to take pics tmw..

Miguel. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

My wiring work on my first bike was a bit sloppy, but I've improved my workmanship a bit over the years:

image.thumb.png.bcc2ed18cb13c70f8aa6ac3a52d21fdf.png

:classic_tongue:

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

JFF's wiring has improved from earlier attempts...

IMG_20170206_080246145.jpg

We've got some panels that look just like this at my job.  Technician comes in and knows exactly which wire/s to work on.  

John Ranalletta

My senior year of college, I submitted my application to Illinois Bell Tel recruiters.  The recruiter asked me to sit and handed over the Ishihara Color Blindness test book.  He asked what numbers appeared on each page.  I got one and couldn't see numbers on the remaining pages.  He said I was not eligible for consideration because their training program included several weeks of work with field maintenance crews.  He said there was no way I could help mend a severed cable that might have a few hundred, color-coded wire pairs.

Example: you might see a number in this chart.  I do not. 

image.png.76a6113a410a5770db62491bb514ceee.png

• Confused 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
35 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

We've got some panels that look just like this at my job.  Technician comes in and knows exactly which wire/s to work on.  

He used to work in Beirut?

image.png.f649d855a0a95caf9fc44882bae98e12.png

image.png.99d466d912a60a38d994281b9cfb27d8.png

image.thumb.png.6a677b867350fdc4709ec342865dffdd.png

• Smile 3
John Ranalletta
16 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

42--what is this, "the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" test?  You'd also not be approved for EOD.

At AFEES/St. Louis for my physical, there were guys who'd pre-enlisted in the Navy to avoid going to Army boot.  They were each asked to identify colors on a ship's signal lamp.  We heard those who failed went to Fort Sill for Army boot.  Surprise!  

(Not sure what the device was named.  It was a a cropped top, pyramid-shaped box, maybe 18" high with a stack of colored lights.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

My senior year of college, I submitted my application to Illinois Bell Tel recruiters.  The recruiter asked me to sit and handed over the Ishihara Color Blindness test book.  He asked what numbers appeared on each page.  I got one and couldn't see numbers on the remaining pages.  He said I was not eligible for consideration because their training program included several weeks of work with field maintenance crews.  He said there was no way I could help mend a severed cable that might have a few hundred, color-coded wire pairs.

Example: you might see a number in this chart.  I do not. 

image.png.76a6113a410a5770db62491bb514ceee.png

I worked for Ohio Bell ( aka Ameritech, SBC, AT&T).  When I wanted to transfer from Service Representative to (something, anything!) outside, I failed the same test.  "You are color blind, you can do installation and repair, but you can never splice!" 

First week of installation training they were teaching how to connect a service drop to the terminals and showed us a type of terminal called "Ready Access".  Basically, a foot of cable with the sheath removed and a rubber cover over it. So just pick out the correct two color-coded wires and splice.:classic_biggrin:

image.png.9c21e4ab719b2067815d977fbf592602.png

Sometimes, in areas with a lot of change (apartments, college campuses) they became a little messy:

image.png.47129d0b87e5c290011e51a7f4cf7c99.png

I never had any more difficulty finding the right wires than the non-color blind techs did.

After a few years, it was decided that instead of specialized cable crews, I&R techs would be doing cable repairs, which included find one particular pair out as many as 2400 color coded pairs, or splicing cut cables.   No additional color perception testing was involved.  I also discovered that many of the cables were of an older type with paper insulation that had no color codes.   

So I don't have a very high opinion of the color tests.

As for motorcycle wiring, I have only added a single SAE lead to my battery, but I still curse it every time I disconnect the battery. If I ever need another connection, I will add a separate terminal block.

• Like 3

That’s what your tone box was for. Worked 13 years in line gang and 10 in I&R at SWBell. Ended my career with AT&T 17 years in the central office. 

• Like 1

Still use my tone box every few days at work. Doing old school telephone work at the hospital the last few months, the young kids (mid 30's) have no clue how to tone out a line or cross-connect a station port. Dinosaurs still have a place in the world. For now.

I remember when digital (HDSL) T-1s came out nobody wanted to touch them. Everyone was all analog trained. When I retired very few could work on(or didn’t want to work on😳) analog circuits because digital was so simple. My how times change. Especially in telephony. 

• Like 1