IGNORED

Tire Comparison

MikeB60

Comparison between the Roadsmart IV and Road 6 with identical bikes and identical roads. Mileage was a wash unless you're like @wbw6cos and ride em' to the cords where the Road 6 had a slight advantage. The author did state there was a distinct difference in handling and he'd definitely preferred the Dunlop. That echoes my experience, the RS III and IV are handsdown my choice for sport touring. Here is the LINK 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree  with the results. But that MichelinRoad 6 should be good for another 1,500+ miles. Once the center 2” is bald, then it is nearing the cords. Michelin tires have always had a very thick rubber layer.

A Road5GT showing its cords. :cool:

IMG_3122.thumb.jpeg.1a314ca7cca81acda235154cf3bc9bd5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I just installed RS IV on the rear. The front has a RS IV now for about 5,000 miles. The rear was a RS III. I pulled it with 10,500 miles on it. No cords but the center had the next layer of rubber exposed almost completely around the circumference.  Dunlop claims the RS IV will get about 20% more wear than the RS III.  I have a RT and ride mostly highway. These articles testing tires always seem to put tires to the extreme test. When I read the RS IV was toast at just over 7,000 miles I had to chime in. If Dunlops claim is true on the RS IV increase wear then I should expect to see the same wear at about 12,000 miles. Funny thing is that on the older Bridgestone tires 027 battle ax I never got less than 10,000 miles. I averaged 12,000 miles and once I got 14,000 miles on the rear. 

The T30 was a flop, replaced the rear at 8,000 miles. Now I stick with Dunlop. 

Your mileage and experience may vary. I have tried almost all brands and model tires that fit a RT since 2000 and have never had a tire last longer than 9,000 Miles on the rear before the cords were exposed. 
But the Dunlop RoadSmart 4 are handling wise and inspiring rider confidence superior to any other brand, including the Michelin Road 5/6GT.

But as I said your mileage and experience may vary. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

I think they need to use a Shift Cam RT for some future testing.  Just sayin'

Bernie's experience will definitely differ on his new RT.  I will be anxious to see his results once he stops baby-ing the motor.   :classic_biggrin:

@MikeB60 and let the record reflect that Bernie's routes cause most of that wear, which is a complimnent and an honor.  :clap:

Besides, my reputation may not precede me much longer, as I purchased a set of used rims from Brad.  All my future BMWST events may be on fresh tires.  Gasp, I know.  Right?

• Smile 1
28 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I think they need to use a Shift Cam RT for some future testing.  Just sayin'

Bernie's experience will definitely differ on his new RT.  I will be anxious to see his results once he stops baby-ing the motor.   :classic_biggrin:

@MikeB60 and let the record reflect that Bernie's routes cause most of that wear, which is a complimnent and an honor.  :clap:

Besides, my reputation may not precede me much longer, as I purchased a set of used rims from Brad.  All my future BMWST events may be on fresh tires.  Gasp, I know.  Right?

That's generally worked for me, I have two sets for the 1600 but still had to change tires in Sparta.  I'll blame Bernie's routes as well although rapid tire wear is most likely a result of my right wrist. Oh yeah, didn't we ride together in Sparta! :5147:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I get close to or beyond 15,000 miles on the Road 6 non GT rear on my hexhead. Fronts don't get 15,000 more like 12,000. Your mileage will vary but I do ride on occasion with Bernie.

• Like 2