IGNORED

Oil change trick--Punch a hole in the oil filter

bruce2000ltc

I saw this oil change trick on YouTube where you punch a hole in a car oil filter to let it drain before you remove it.  Looked like a great idea so I thought I’d try it on my ‘13RT.

Warmed up the bike, put the oil pan under the motor and using a small punch and hammer I tapped the punch into the oil filter.  Pulled the punch out and here came the oil.  I went to the other side of the bike and removed the oil drain plug.  After the oil filter stopped draining I wiped the bottom of the filter and loosened it with my wrench.  I loosened the filter the rest of the way by hand and a little more oil came out the hole I’d punched as air got in and broke the vacuum.  Removed the oil filter, installed the new filter and the oil drain plug.

This was easily the cleanest and least messy oil change I’ve ever done on the RT.  No oil drenched filter or oil splashed on the engine around the filter area to clean up.  Just wipe the the sealing surface on the engine clean, oil the filter gasket and spin on the filter—done. 

I wish I’d known about this trick sooner… it sure would of saved a lot of time.  I’m going to use this trick on all my cars from now on, too.

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
47 minutes ago, bruce2000ltc said:

I saw this oil change trick on YouTube where you punch a hole in a car oil filter to let it drain before you remove it.  Looked like a great idea so I thought I’d try it on my ‘13RT.

Warmed up the bike, put the oil pan under the motor and using a small punch and hammer I tapped the punch into the oil filter.  Pulled the punch out and here came the oil.  I went to the other side of the bike and removed the oil drain plug.  After the oil filter stopped draining I wiped the bottom of the filter and loosened it with my wrench.  I loosened the filter the rest of the way by hand and a little more oil came out the hole I’d punched as air got in and broke the vacuum.  Removed the oil filter, installed the new filter and the oil drain plug.

This was easily the cleanest and least messy oil change I’ve ever done on the RT.  No oil drenched filter or oil splashed on the engine around the filter area to clean up.  Just wipe the the sealing surface on the engine clean, oil the filter gasket and spin on the filter—done. 

I wish I’d known about this trick sooner… it sure would of saved a lot of time.  I’m going to use this trick on all my cars from now on, too.

I saw this recently as well and I also remember back to when I worked in a service station to pay tuition.  We couldn't remove the filter and had to chisel it off (still have scars).  So,  unscrew the filter a tad before drilling.

I know a certified meticulous maintenance guy use a drill to pierce the filter on a Wethead bike.  Make sure the hole is drilled where it needs to be after the slight rotation of said filter.  Just sayin'

:ohboy:

• Smile 1

I don’t drill mine because I open them up and check for metal each time. I have an oil filter cutter that does not put metal flakes in the filter. Makes a bit of a mess but if something is making metal I’ll know. I like the solo cup idea. Will try it next time. I hope it doesn’t ruin the taste of my beer 🍺 

I don’t cut open filters on cars though. 

• Like 1

Wow! I find that to be a messy and more laborious maintenance procedure.  If we are talking about a camhead engine I can't see taking that route. I simply use a oil filter wrench and a breaker bar or a ratchet.  Placing a drain bucket on the ground I just loosen the oil filter until I see oil draining from the filter itself. Then go back and screw it off by hand after it drains out. I hate to ask how one installs the new filter. 🙄 

• Smile 1
23 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I saw this recently as well and I also remember back to when I worked in a service station to pay tuition.  We couldn't remove the filter and had to chisel it off (still have scars).  So,  unscrew the filter a tad before drilling.

I was going to suggest the same - that way you won't end up with a bike where you can't remove the filter or ride it to a shop. Plus, that way you don't have to get any oil at all on your filter wrench as you can just remove the filter by hand once it's drained. 

But, after a few punch drains, I switched to the solo cup method below. (BMW spec oils are fully compatible with darker things like porter or, better, schwarzbiers.)

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

17 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Wow! I find that to be a messy and more laborious maintenance procedure.  If we are talking about a camhead engine I can't see taking that route. I simply use a oil filter wrench and a breaker bar or a ratchet.  Placing a drain bucket on the ground I just loosen the oil filter until I see oil draining from the filter itself. Then go back and screw it off by hand after it drains out. I hate to ask how one installs the new filter. 🙄 

The methods above will let you drain the oil without getting any on your hands at all and really don't take more time. But, as always, getting the old oil out and the new oil in by whatever means you like is way better than running out or running dirty oil :)

• Smile 1
4 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I was going to suggest the same - that way you won't end up with a bike where you can't remove the filter or ride it to a shop. Plus, that way you don't have to get any oil at all on your filter wrench as you can just remove the filter by hand once it's drained. 

But, after a few punch drains, I switched to the solo cup method below. (BMW spec oils are fully compatible with darker things like porter or, better, schwarzbiers.)

The methods above will let you drain the oil without getting any on your hands at all and really don't take more time. But, as always, getting the old oil out and the new oil in by whatever means you like is way better than running out or running dirty oil :)

I don't get oil on my wrench or hands. I just loosen the oil filter and rotate it until I see oil run down the sides. Then go and drain the crankcase.  When I go back the oil filter has stopped draining.  Very simple and easy. I just cringe when I think of people ramming a screw driver through an oil filter for no useful purpose other than one that is jammed up tight. This happens when someone installs an oil filter using gorilla strength torque values. Whatever works best for the individual is fine. Not me though. 

• Plus 1 2

If you find yourself not having the proper tool to do the job I'd rather use a screw driver for this alternate use.  Very clever. 👍

Screenshot_20231202_110622_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1