IGNORED

Looking for Accessory Mirrors.... R1150RT

RandallBT

Greetings! Wondering if anyone else has solved this. The R1150RT has holes in the handles for mirrors. However, upon inspection it does not seem that they are made to just simply bolt something in, like those simple shaft and nut things you can get for scooters, etc. 

I did come across THESE which obviously work, although somewhat pricey. They don't show any detail regarding the mounting hardware that comes with them, and not exactly what I'm looking for.

As one of the rare Floridian motorcyclists that actually wears a helmet, and coming from a Harley Electraglide and a half helmet, I'm trying to be a bit more responsible and bought a Shoei RF1200 full helmet. Nice helmet, but it does have the disadvantage of limiting my situational awareness. Doing a quick head twist lane check reveals that I now have a blind spot off my rear quarters due to the sheer width of this helmet.

What I'd like is to have a couple of small wide angle mirrors that lets me at a glance see what's behind and next to me. Not sure the ones that I linked to above will accomplish that well.

Any suggestions welcome.

Randall

On 11/29/2023 at 6:39 AM, RandallBT said:

Greetings! Wondering if anyone else has solved this. The R1150RT has holes in the handles for mirrors. However, upon inspection it does not seem that they are made to just simply bolt something in, like those simple shaft and nut things you can get for scooters, etc. 

I did come across THESE which obviously work, although somewhat pricey. They don't show any detail regarding the mounting hardware that comes with them, and not exactly what I'm looking for.

As one of the rare Floridian motorcyclists that actually wears a helmet, and coming from a Harley Electraglide and a half helmet, I'm trying to be a bit more responsible and bought a Shoei RF1200 full helmet. Nice helmet, but it does have the disadvantage of limiting my situational awareness. Doing a quick head twist lane check reveals that I now have a blind spot off my rear quarters due to the sheer width of this helmet.

What I'd like is to have a couple of small wide angle mirrors that lets me at a glance see what's behind and next to me. Not sure the ones that I linked to above will accomplish that well.

Any suggestions welcome.

Randall

Morning  RandallBT

Those handlebar holes are not threaded so any mirrors that you install there need a special long barrel type nut that matches the threads on your mirrors.

You need a special nut but it must be of the same thread pitch & size as your mirrors. You might also need a spacer depending on the length of the mirror stud (see picture below)

The BMW nuts are difficult to find & some were L/H thread (so check your mirrors for one having L/H threads). 

In any case, I used to make my own mirror nuts from metal tire valve stem retaining nuts (again see picture) as I just cut new threads in the valve stem nuts to match the mirrors I was installing. 

On those mirrors pictured in your post above, ask if they come with the proper long nuts (not just regular nuts as those won't fit in the handlebar pockets). 

The 1150RT didn't come with factory mirrors so the mirrors/nuts don't show up in the BMW parts manual. The 1150 R bike came with handlebar mirrors as well as the 1150GS. So they used the special nuts but the nuts must match your mirror threads. 

The BMW nuts used to come as a separate item with BMW mirrors (they were fairly expensive for just long nuts).

That looks like a BMW dealer that is selling those mirrors so ask them to look up the proper nuts for those mirrors. 

D9PM8On.jpg

17 minutes ago, RandallBT said:

Thanks DR! I just found THESE THINGS which clearly show what you're talking about. If there's a ball clamp mirror available that I like, maybe that's a good solution too.

Morning RandallBT

No, the BMW nuts look like this___ About $15.00 each.

The picture doesn't do a good job of showing it but the nut in the picture is treaded all the way through the center. 

If those are 1150GS mirrors (probably are)  then they also take a wave washer (about $5.00 each). 

mirror nut.jpg

On 11/29/2023 at 7:18 AM, dirtrider said:

I said: Thanks DR! I just found THESE THINGS 

So I contacted the vendor about the 17mm ball adaptor thing for the mirror hole and they assured me they work well. Apparently they clamp differently in there but just as effective. I think I'll get these, but that leaves me with the challenge of finding a mirror that clamps to the ball...... It's always something....

However, on another note, addressing this issue of peripheral vision and lane checking, the other day I picked up a new helmet, a white KLIM Karbon modular TK1200, which has a LOT more cutout for the visor than my Shoei full helmet does. So I've solved part of the peripheral vision problem with that. Now, just the mirrors and my life will be complete. Except for all the other stuff.....

There are a pair of the mirrors that D.R. pointed out up above on ebay for $50.00. They come with the barrel nuts. Just type in BMW oil head mirrors and you'll see em.

• 2 weeks later...