IGNORED

Soft luggage bag recommendation.

AviP

I recently acquired a 2019 GS (non ADV) without racks or luggage and am looking for soft pannier options. Having never used soft luggage before, can someone give me the pros and cons here. What brands do riders here like and why? There's so many pricey options and then some non-pricey ones that make it all the more confusing what to pay for.

• chrisolson featured this topic

all the cool kids around here run Mosko stuff (they are "headquartered" about 50 miles from where I'm currently sitting, so they are personally well known and a lot of their R&D was with the local community - so they were essentially well advertised here before they even started selling stuff), but I'm too poor. I've got a set of tusk pilot panniers that replaced some similar nelson rigg panniers (each set acquired for less than $200 new). they are good enough for me, but I almost always either run hard luggage or just a tailbag, so my opinion isn't all that worthwhile. i am glad i opted for the cheaper bags as i'd feel bad if i had a nearly $1000 set of moskos i wasn't using. 

to run any of that, you'll need some sort of rack - if you don't want to do that, you'll need to look into a whole other category of rackless luggage (mosko also makes a fancy that kind, and others make less fancy versions, but i have no experience there). 

The Mosko stuff sounds like it’s been Adventure Approved which somehow drives up the costs. :dontknow: (^ all the cool kids have it) IDRK if that’s even the case, just an assumption. 

Every report I’ve ever read says Bumot makes quality stuff at a reasonable price. 

I did research Mosko Moto and Bumot. Bumot's website seems limited in information though.

Any experience with Givi here? And this Wild Heart product is too cheap to ignore!

Please keep the suggestions coming.

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

I run the mosko reckless 80 on my GS.  It is the best gear out there.  It is expensive though.  But it is well made.

I did consider rackless luggage but was put off by the additional strapping and packing challenges. I think I'm leaning strongly towards panniers but I'm still open on the issue.

4 hours ago, AviP said:

I did research Mosko Moto and Bumot. Bumot's website seems limited in information though.

I've got the Bumot soft bags.  Only because I've also got the Bumot hard cases and its easy to switch back and forth.  I mostly run the hard cases, but if I know there's gonna be dirt, I'll swap to the soft bags.  Used them this summer for my 3 week trip for the UN Rally.  I'll try to answer any questions you have, but other than that trip and a few day rides, I haven't used them much.

The Bumot soft bags are well made and come with inner dry bags.  Although the outter bags themselves seem pretty water resistant.  Only saw light rain but no water got into the bags, let alone the inner dry bags. 

3 hours ago, BrianT said:

The Bumot soft bags are well made and come with inner dry bags.  Although the outter bags themselves seem pretty water resistant.  Only saw light rain but no water got into the bags, let alone the inner dry bags. 

How are they capacity wise compared to the hard bags? 100% comparable in capacity or 75% or 50%?

The hard bags come in three different sizes.  The soft bags are the same volume as the small hard bags (35L non exhaust side, 31L exhaust side).  However, because its a roll top closure vs the hard bag lid, I can stuff a little more into the soft bags than the hard bags of the same size by not rolling them down all the way.  Came in handy on the 3 week trip.

2 hours ago, BrianT said:

However, because its a roll top closure vs the hard bag lid, I can stuff a little more into the soft bags than the hard bags of the same size by not rolling them down all the way. 

That is very interesting! I do pack ultralight but it's good to have that option.

2 hours ago, syntorz said:

https://www.vikingbags.com

Dunno if I saw this link posted here or advrider.com. Not a customer but looked at their stuff for one of my  unequipped bikes. Looks like decent stuff.

Definitely interesting and competitively priced. the tailbag is interesting but they do not have panniers.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:05 AM, TEWKS said:

The Mosko stuff sounds like it’s been Adventure Approved which somehow drives up the costs. :dontknow: (^ all the cool kids have it) IDRK if that’s even the case, just an assumption. 

Every report I’ve ever read says Bumot makes quality stuff at a reasonable price. 

In my experience (as I said, though I don't ride with them pretty much everyone else I know who rides a mid to large ADV in the PNW has been running them the last five-ish years) the Mosko rep is deserved. Some of the other high priced bags appear comparable in quality but I have not seen any that appear to be better. For me, it's more money than I care to spend and I don't ride that hard/often with soft bags. I also think they have "too many" features - this could of course be a plus for others if they want the features. For me, I'd rather start simple - and I'm comfortable enough sewing gear to add any extra features I will use. 

On 11/29/2023 at 6:36 AM, AviP said:

Any experience with Givi here? And this Wild Heart product is too cheap to ignore!

Please keep the suggestions coming.

The Givi look really nice but I am strongly in favor of a separate abrasion resistant outer bag holding a waterproof liner bag for a few reasons. One, I don't like to drag dirty luggage into a motel room, but it's easy with a liner to just take the inner bag. If you crash and tear up the bag and it's one piece, you very likely will have to replace the entire thing to get back to truly waterproof (or start running an additional inner wp bag). If it's two piece you can repair the outer part and replace the inner part (either with a "factory" liner which is probably not that expensive, or just with any drybag that will fit -- or even just a garbage bag as a temporary measure) even if you're on the road somewhere remote. 

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic