IGNORED

Exhaust Difference between 2016 and 2018?

Stresspuppy

Ok, right off the bat I will tell you this is probably a "you're nuts" or "why are you getting so in the weeds with this" kind of topic. But bear with me, I sometimes dig into esoteric things for no other reason than to drive myself a little more crazy.

Here's a little backstory: The 2018 RT I purchased has a pretty rusted exhaust manifold (muffler is fine). I think it was supposed to be the chrome one but something got on it and it has surface rusting and pitting (see pictures below).  It functions fine, just looks like crap. Another one of those cosmetic "I can live with it" things that, well, bugs me a bit more than I thought it might and I want to resolve if possible. My first thought was to use some high-temp rattle can metallic silver paint after taking the exhaust off the bike, sanding, and priming to get a better look. While doable (I've done it on a car exhaust pipe and it came out ok), this is a bit more obvious than a car exhaust so I that will be a last resort if I can't live with it. 

I have found a used exhaust manifold from a 2016 that still has good chrome and just the typical bluing. The part number is 18-51-8-555-270. I looked it up in a parts catalog online and here is what I find:

18-51-8-555-270 - Chrome exhaust but brings up 18-51-8-562-191 in the search and also references 18-51-7-712-008

18-51-8-562-191 - Chrome exhaust to 8/2016

18-51-8-555-262 - Chrome exhaust from 8/2016

When doing a "What does this fit?", the 191, 262, 270 all say 2014-2018.

SO, does anyone know what would have changed in the exhaust from pre-8/2016 to post-8/2016? And would this one (-270) fit/work on my 2018? 

Thanks for indulging my OCD, lack of sanity, and lack of projects (not!).  

Exhaust 1.jpeg

Exhaust 2.jpeg

I 'm not sure if they are compatible . However ,this is an option you may not have considered . I've had several exhaust ceramic coated for $200.-300. 

They look great and supposedly help with exhaust gas temperatures . 

• Plus 1 2

Great thought. I actually did that once for headers on a car I restored many years ago and the option slipped my mind. I had considered getting it re-chromed but since it includes the cat I figured that really wouldn't work. I'll look around for places that do the ceramic coating and see what they say and see what finishes they have. If not local, my guess is the shipping cost may make it a bit pricier than I want to pay for a cosmetic issue. 

• Like 1

Hey Scott,

I have a couple of those headers at my house...we could have swapped them out when you were here.

I can bring them to START if you like.

Brad

i-b6b64BC-L.jpg

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

Hey Scott,

I have a couple of those headers at my house...we could have swapped them out when you were here.

I can bring them to START if you like.

Brad

What the heck don't you have laying around??!!? :classic_ohmy:  Were those in the attic that you said didn't have anything in it? :3:

Yeah, we both commented on how they looked but didn't go any further than that. And I already took up a ton of your time.

If they will fit my bike, that would be fantastic. Doesn't seem too involved to swap. Do you think I could I do it there at START? I'll have some tools with me anyway so I could spend part of one of the days doing that. I don't think I'd be able to tie that down too easily for the trip home...

Thanks!  

• Haha 1

…I’ll do it on my lunch break someday during START…

I’ll also transfer your O2 sensors so the ECU doesn’t need to relearn Adaptive Values. 
Brad

• Like 1

Hey Stresspuppy , You might want to see if you can get those header pipes jet hot coated before you install 'em... prolly last you a few more years before bluing or rust shows up. Did them on my old r1100rs and my vfr800...Soon will do the ones on my RT.

On 11/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, Stresspuppy said:

Sounds like a plan! And I'm happy to do as much wrench turning grunt work as needed. I don't want you missing lunch.

bring him food?  🤔lol, I dunno ...  😏

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

bring him food?  🤔lol, I dunno ...  😏

From the size of the pizza he was consuming at Sparta, I'd say he won't go hungry!:rofl:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

From the size of the pizza he was consuming at Sparta, I'd say he won't go hungry!:rofl:

I don't look like I've EVER missed a meal...!

• Smile 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, Stresspuppy said:

Ok, right off the bat I will tell you this is probably a "you're nuts" or "why are you getting so in the weeds with this" kind of topic. But bear with me, I sometimes dig into esoteric things for no other reason than to drive myself a little more crazy.

Here's a little backstory: The 2018 RT I purchased has a pretty rusted exhaust manifold (muffler is fine). I think it was supposed to be the chrome one but something got on it and it has surface rusting and pitting (see pictures below).  It functions fine, just looks like crap. Another one of those cosmetic "I can live with it" things that, well, bugs me a bit more than I thought it might and I want to resolve if possible. My first thought was to use some high-temp rattle can metallic silver paint after taking the exhaust off the bike, sanding, and priming to get a better look. While doable (I've done it on a car exhaust pipe and it came out ok), this is a bit more obvious than a car exhaust so I that will be a last resort if I can't live with it. 

I have found a used exhaust manifold from a 2016 that still has good chrome and just the typical bluing. The part number is 18-51-8-555-270. I looked it up in a parts catalog online and here is what I find:

18-51-8-555-270 - Chrome exhaust but brings up 18-51-8-562-191 in the search and also references 18-51-7-712-008

18-51-8-562-191 - Chrome exhaust to 8/2016

18-51-8-555-262 - Chrome exhaust from 8/2016

When doing a "What does this fit?", the 191, 262, 270 all say 2014-2018.

SO, does anyone know what would have changed in the exhaust from pre-8/2016 to post-8/2016? And would this one (-270) fit/work on my 2018? 

Thanks for indulging my OCD, lack of sanity, and lack of projects (not!).  

Exhaust 1.jpeg

Exhaust 2.jpeg

Mine have turned this way virtually on every RT I owned, mostly on the bottom. On my previously owned '15 I used a polishing fine sand grit attached to a drillto get this off. It's a lot or work and very hard to get it off on the bottom. In fact, I am already noticing that at almost exactly 6 months of ownership of my' 23, it's starting to change colors on the bottom. Unfortunately, driving all year round and without a garage this is almost inevitable. I must say that your pipes have this everywhere, but mine mostly had it on the bottom. I could argue that washing the bike weekly helps (as I never wash the bottom parts of the pipes), the front is mostly clean but who knows.

Maybe at some point my servo motor gets stuck and the exhaust headers will get replaced under warranty? 😃

Just a tip on these exhaust "headers".  Material like this is probably starting out as a low grade stainless steel. Stainless steels does NOT mean it won't corrode! Sometimes easier than you might think. Because it can corrode, you have to stay sort of "ahead" of it. Cleaning it regularly, especially after riding in rain or worse yet a road that has salt on it, keeps the corrosion down. But the most effective thing you can do is polish the headers with a good metal polish ( Happich Semi-Chrome is the best I have ever used). This cleans the surface to remove contaminants before they dig in deep. Sort of seals off the surface from the bad stuff getting deeper. The pics of these in this thread look like they were in a rather corrosive riding environment! 

18 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Just a tip on these exhaust "headers".  Material like this is probably starting out as a low grade stainless steel. Stainless steels does NOT mean it won't corrode! Sometimes easier than you might think. Because it can corrode, you have to stay sort of "ahead" of it. Cleaning it regularly, especially after riding in rain or worse yet a road that has salt on it, keeps the corrosion down. But the most effective thing you can do is polish the headers with a good metal polish ( Happich Semi-Chrome is the best I have ever used). This cleans the surface to remove contaminants before they dig in deep. Sort of seals off the surface from the bad stuff getting deeper. The pics of these in this thread look like they were in a rather corrosive riding environment! 

Morning Terry

That is exactly correct. The front pipes are a 400 series based stainless steel that is cheaper, easier to form, & easier to weld. But it has less chromium & nickel content. (it shows in the typical corrosion of the front pipes). Chrome plating over the 400 stainless helps but not 100%. 

The rear muffler section is made from a 300 series based stainless steel that has a much higher content of chromium & nickel so it is less apt to corrode (that shows as it seldom corrodes to the extent the front pipes do). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1