IGNORED

Muffler doesn't want to go back on

Rob Nowell

I just switched out my rear tire.  Removing the muffler allows better access to the lug bolts, and I've never had a problem with removing/reinstalling that...until now.  That damn thing does NOT want to go back on!  It just wont align with the hanger bracket screw hole.  Any ideas?  I'd thought about a bit of WD-40, but figured that would stink like hell when it heats up.

You need to rotate the muffler a little bit more. Loosen the front clamp and remove the rear bolt and wiggle it up and down while turning it counterclockwise. The bracket on the canister should be touching the mounting bracket. 

36 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

I don't remember the gap being there.

20231127_134438.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Bernie said:

You need to rotate the muffler a little bit more. Loosen the front clamp and remove the rear bolt and wiggle it up and down while turning it counterclockwise. The bracket on the canister should be touching the mounting bracket. 

It just won't go. :/

Take it back of and start over. And when you start to again it with the pipe by the center stand, make sure the nut on the bracket of the canister is on the wheel side of the mounting bracket.

It is explained in your manual for your bike, including pictures.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Take it off and start over.  Spread the end of the pipe a little bit(~1mm) so it slides/rotates easier. Clean the surfaces at the joint and apply anti-seize, it makes it easier to rotate the pipe and to remove it next time. Slide the pipe on and leave the clamp completely loose. Install the hanger bolt halfway while everything is loose, tighten the clamp, and then the bolt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.b4da6765d0a059d94e03c4e3754dc835.png

Looks like you're very close.. I agree with the the above suggestions, start again and a little lube (Optimoly TA 18 21 9 062 599 or Equiv,  Honda M77). 

Don't forget the alignment of the clamp underneath and 22Nm for the clamp nut. 19Nm for the rear. 

21 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

I thought I explained it above.... But you have the exhaust can hanger on the front side of the frame mounting point.  That is incorrect.  You need to remove the exhaust from the header and rotate the exhaust can towards the tire at the top, such that the hanger slips in behind the frame.  Then, insert the bolt through the fancy washer, then through the frame, and thread it into that nut.  I can imagine that you might have some difficulty getting it to line up nicely now that you have bent the hanger somewhat.  But, if you get it in place and tighten it up, it should straighten the hanger.

Cap